“A Dining Gem in Newton Centre” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #27 of 228 Restaurants in Newton
Cuisines: American, Coffee Shop, Diner, Dessert
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Outdoor seating, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Boston
“A Dining Gem in Newton Centre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Let me start out be saying I am not really a diner person. I have two brothers-in-law that would both go out of there for a good greasy spoon, but that is not me. So, it took me a while to find some things that I like at Johnny's aside from their breakfast items (which are out of this world).

So, for breakfast (served all day), the French toast is amazing, the pancakes are pretty good and the variety of omelettes is more than sufficient. The hidden gems on the menu for breakfast are the porridge, which is outstanding and too much for one meal (but reheats really nicely for a leftover) and the Waverley, my new favorite. It is two eggs any style on potato latkes with lox and sour cream. It is out-of-this-world and I even had my husband take me there for my most recent birthday breakfast.

For lunch or dinner, I have discovered a grilled salmon dish on a salad with red bliss potatoes that I really enjoy.

Service is pretty good and the place is always bustling with energy. If there are no tables, you can also snag a spot at the counter.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Fantastic Reuben Sandwich”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Stopped into this restaurant while in Newton Center. I thought it would be a "greasy spoon." Turned out so much better-had one of the best Reubens I've ever had outside of NYC. Can't wait to try the breakfast.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston, Massachusetts
“A restaurant with such great reviews - I had to try it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I was early for an appointment in Newton Center and found myself by Johnny's Luncheonette. Having heard many great reviews over the years, I decided to give it a try. The sign on the door said, "We have Jordan Marsh recipe Blueberry Muffins" To any Bostonian, this is incredible news. 10-15 years ago when Macy's closed down JM they took away one of the classic culinary delights that we all loved. On entering, I found a long line, but when asked "How Many"? was pleased to find they had many booths for one or two so I was seated at once. On the menu, I spotted a "Jordan Marsh Breakfast" (breakfasts are served all day) Two eggs, a fruit cup and a blueberry muffin, which I ordered. The waiter, a young boy, was very personable and professional took my order and filled it within minutes. Both the coffee and the food lived up to their reputation. The blueberry muffin, exactly as I remember it from years ago. The fruit cup was made with fresh pineapple, fresh melon and fresh grapes. The eggs were cooked exactly as ordered. All in all a perfect meal. If you are ever in Newton Center, Ma. I highly recommend Johnny's Luncheon for it's all day breakfast.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Great Breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Had Saturday morning breakfast there while visiting my daughter at college. For a Saturday morning we had to wait only about 10 minutes. It is just what you expect from a diner! The chocolate milkshake my daughter had was amazing! I had homemade corned beef hash and it was AWESOME! When I looked around it seemed like lots of people were waiting for food, but our food came VERY quickly and overall it was a fun experience. Service was very good. Good prices! Parking was not a problem with a large city lot across the street. There will definitely be a return visit here!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Regina, Canada
“A Fun Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We enjoyed a delightful breakfast one Saturday morning at this restaurant. The old time 1950's american diner atmosphere with the tables, the pictures and the rest was fun. The food was delicious, the servings were ample and the whole experience was a delight. We will certainly come again to this place when we are visiting in the area. By the look of the crowd, it is a popular eatery with the locals. It is easy to see why. See for yourself!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere