The house/building has been remodeled/renovated to the point of being like a museum - it is gorgeous! The rooms are very nice and homey, and the shared bathroom isn't too much of an inconvenience (granted, it IS a B&B, ha). Newton is a wonderful place (if you like the Boston-area) with many bars and restaurants within walking distance. However, there were shortfalls, including:
1) The young woman in charge is a grad student who was very busy and always anxious, making for an unorganized and (at times) awkward household.
2) The breakfast was very small and not very good (compared to other B&Bs in the area) with horrible/cheap coffee offered.
3) Upon booking the room we were told to pay with cash or travelers checks. First, who pays for a room costing a few hundred dollars in cash? And second, who even uses travelers checks any more? Ellen scoffed when we tried to pay with our credit card, saying she didn't want to pay the service fee. Um, hello, you're a B&B - which is pretty similar to a hotel - thus you must be prepared for people paying with credit cards! Frustrating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Chesley Road B&B is a 160 year old beautifully restored Victorian, set in a magnificent neighborhood of unusual homes. Convenient to Newton Centre's restaurants and stores. Easy access to Boston via the T. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Chesley Road b&b
- Chesley Road Hotel Newton