“One of my local favorites! ” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 71 Restaurants in Newburyport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Doing business, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
“One of my local favorites! ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

We've lived in Newburyport for over fifteen years and eaten here many times since they opened. It's very good. Besides being a beautiful waterfront spot with a deck that overlooks boats - or sometimes when the tide is high looks like it is a boat! - and our riverfront park and boardwalk, the food is consistently good and the servers seem pleasant and efficient. The fish - salmon and haddock and the burgers are two favorites. It's a tourist favorite, with free paved not on dirt parking!

Acton, Massachusetts
“One of Our Favorites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

Love the outdoor patio with the harbor view. Service was excellent and the food was delicious as usual. Love their Baked Haddock.

Newton, MA
“Great views okay food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

This is a great place to relax on a nice summer day. Food is okay but somewhat pricey.
Make sure you get a table outside -- well worth the money.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Mass
“First time at the Black Cow and we had a very good meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We have been going to Newburyport for 6 summers now but this was our first time trying the Black Cow. We loved the interior style and you get great views of the water from the deck as well as through the large windows inside. There were 6 of us so we had a chance to sample a wide variety of things. The clam chowder was excellent and we loved the calamari with banana and cherry peppers. The salads are huge and enough to be your whole meal. I got the ribeye and it was well seasoned with a great crust on the outside. It was more medium then the medium rare I ordered but it wasn't a huge issue. I have found you need to order rare to get medium rare at most restaraunts these days. They also had some great beers on tap which was a huge plus. I've never been anywhere that had old speckled hen on tap. All in all a very good meal. Service was excellent.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Newburyport MA
“great water views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

I live in Newburyport and have been to this restaurant several times. It is not one of my favorites, but I sometimes meet friends there for lunch or dinner. The menu is pretty limited and portions are small. I typically just get a salad and appetizer. Those who have never been to Newburyport before typically pick this restaurant because it is trendy and right on the river. The bar is very popular as well; it is typically very crowded in the evenings and pretty crazy on the weekend. I guess I prefer Michael's Harborside over the Black Cow, as the portions are larger and the menu has way more choices. But I guess for a special occasion when you want a classier atmosphere, this would be a better choice.

• 4 of 5 stars Food