“Nice time” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 87 Restaurants in Newburyport
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night
Troy, New York
“Nice time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I just spent the weekend in Newburyport and after an afternoon of walking by the folks eating outside at Agave we decided that we needed to do dinner there Saturday night - it looked good and it looked enjoyable. It was too late to secure a reservation so we decided to go and try to get seats at one of the many bars they have and eat dinner there. I talked to a hostess during the afternoon and a host when we walked in that evening and they were both very nice, even in the face of the evening rush. We were fortunate to get two seats at the main bar on the first floor and we ordered a couple of drinks and were given some chips and salsa to nibble on while we looked at the menu. It was a busy night but with the different bars and three floors the rush was very doable for the staff. We had a very nice dinner - my wife had the fish tacos and a grilled salad (which she is still raving about!) and I had the enchiladas - all the food was very good. If you are looking to have a fun night and good Mexican food this is a very nice place to be. I usually cut myself off after a couple of drinks but I talked myself in to a third margarita - they were delicious. Two concerns: the two ladies bar tending were aloof and did not work to engage any customers - they did their job but with no personality and when folks go to a place like this a bartenders personality can play a part in whether folks had a good time or a so- so time ( do we come back or not?) and the other concern is not a big one, but the chips and salsa were small portions with no offers of any refills. All in all a very enjoyable evening and we will be back

Visited August 2014

Acton, MA
“Getting Tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Agave has been a consistent standby, visited often over many years. The margaritas are still good, the chips are freshly made, the guacamole is good, and the ceviche, when they have it, is also good. The rest is pretty pedestrian fare, which ranges from pretty good to sub-par. The menu hasn't changed in years, there is too much stodgy rice and beans and melted cheese and a lack of finesse. I had the Baja fish tacos, which I have had before and they are hit or miss. I have had them when the fish is piping hot, as it should be, and other times when it is lukewarm. The garnishes are strewn on carelessly, and this time the tortillas were so greasy (probably the oil wasn't hot enough) I couldn't eat them. It's usually a fun occasion when everyone has a couple of margaritas inside them, but don't expect particularly good or authentic Mexican (or Tex-Mex or Cal-Mex) food.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boston, MA
“Don't Bother...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Maybe if you just wanted to sit at the bar, drink and eat nachos you would be satisfied here. The only thinkg worse than the service that night was the food itself. I woun't be back, that is of course, I just want to sit at the bar......

Better Mexican establishments out there...

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dawn M, Owner at Agave Mexican Bistro, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Hi SNP1000,

I am Dawn McCandless, the proprietor of Agave Mexican Bistro. I am so sorry that you had a less than enjoyable experience at our establishment, it is always our intent to make all of our customers happy! Please give me a call at 978.499.0428 or feel free to email us at agave@agavemexicanbistro.com. I would like to hear more about your experience and what we can do to make it better for you and our other patrons. Thanks in advance, we can only improve with valuable feedback from our clientele.

Best, Dawn
“Great Margaritas!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

A solid place for drinks and apps. We wanted a night out in the town and decided to start bar hopping here. At the end of the night we regretting ever leaving. Good drinks, good food, fantastic decor!

Dawn M, Owner at Agave Mexican Bistro, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Hi Golgo8,

I'm delighted you think we are a SOLID place for drinks and apps, I like to think so too! Next time you go bar hopping, just forget the hopping part and spend the evening with us. Please say hi next time you are in!

Best,
Dawn McCandless
Proprietor, Agave Mexican Bistro
Newburyport, Massachusetts
“Fantastic Mexican”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

How great is it to have a dependable Mexican restaurant right in town. Everything is super fresh and prepared beautifully. The avocado and shrimp salad is my favorite thing on the menu.

Hi Heyjoenyc,

Happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us! I too love the avocado and shrimp salad! As the owner, it is very important to me that the produce, fish and meats we use are the freshest and the best quality. So glad you enjoyed it and hope to see you in here again soon!

Best,