“Transported to a mall in Japan?” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 87 Restaurants in Newburyport
Cuisines: Japanese
“Transported to a mall in Japan?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

This restaurant is two minutes from Exit 57 off 95, for those of you traveling by and looking for something other than fast food. I feel like I'm transported from Newburyport to Japan every time we go here. I've never been to Japan. The couple who run the restaurant seem to make every effort to create a feel of Japan in the atmosphere, clothing and the food. They sponsor a Japanese festival near the restaurant each fall, and raise money -some of it for charities in Japan I think, by selling small gift items. It always seems fresh and usually tastes good. I like it. It's in a mall across from kmart. Not touristy but more local.

Savannah, Georgia
“Eat here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Like sushi, eat here. Like other Japanese food, eat here.

Best fresh ginger hot tea. Fried eggplant. Vegetable " garden roll". Plus usual fare we know and love.

Authentic feel with really good food.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newburyport, Massachusetts
“Great little Gem of a restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I LOVE this place! It IS like being in Japan, so relaxing and different..very nice atmosphere. The sushi is fresh, artfully presented and delicious!

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newburyport, Massachusetts
“Always great sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

My wife and stopped in for lunch yesterday. As always, we were greeted by the hostess, who is the owner, along with her husband behind the sushi bar.

I had the sushi lunch plate, which was a deal for $14.95. The pieces of fish were artfully done, and were nice and plump. My wife's bento box was delicious and beautifully presented. Both lunches came with a bowl of miso soup.

Hana Japan has a nice, understated feel to it. I have been going there since they opened, and have never had disappointing sushi.

They do a brisk take out business, which I take to be a statement of support.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
MA
“Hana Japan a diamond in the rough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Went there for the first time for lunch the other day. Immediately upon entering, it was like an oasis. We were greeted promptly and shown immediately to our seats. Service was with a smile and the staff was attentive. We both got sushi (one order tuna, one order sweet potato) and it was excellent. The best I've had in quite some time. Prices were defintely reasonable considering the quality of the food. Can't wait to return.

Visited December 2012