“good food, good atmosphere.” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Ceia Kitchen & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 87 Restaurants in Newburyport
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Essex St
Description: Where laughter is required. Jacket & tie are not. Going out with friends or a special someone means choosing a neighborly place that feels as comfortable as home, where conversation flows as easily as a smooth cabernet. Welcome to Ceia Kitchen + Bar. A new kind of nightlife in the heart of Downtown Newburyport, introducing this area"s first extended kitchen hours for later night dining or tete-a-tete cocktails with flavorful small plates. Our exposed brick interior with mellow lighting, cozy banquets and featured cocktail bar beckon even impromptu visits to this reliable neighborly eatery where singles, dates and a posse of good friends are assured of a comfortable night out with delicious food and great company. The spirit of Ceia (pr. SAY-yah) is in the translation of our name: "supper" in Portuguese, the language of one country included among the inspiring stops of our coastal European culinary repertoire.
Austin, Texas
“good food, good atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

I took my partner here to celebrate her 46th birthday. We were travelling in New England and Quebec looking for her ancestors in grsveyards. In the course of ten days, we did not have a single bad meal and two or three really good ones. This was one of them. The food was exquisitely prepared, and the waiter knowledgeable without being intrusive. We shared a starter (very good, although unfotrunatley after a week's gastronomy, I can't recall what it was), then a beautiful rouleau of breast of duck. Portions not large - but if you prefer quality over quanrtity and want to savour every mouthfull, this is a good place to go.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Rye, New Hampshire
“Average food; bring your wallet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

We were excited to try this restaurant. The waitstaff was great and cozy ambiance. Wine was disappointing as both the Chardonnay and Cabernet were harsh. The portions are quite small, which is ok IF the food was superior. It was far short of that. Pumpkin soup was horrible, and roasted artichokes were burnt. Ravioli were ok, but a small portion for $18. Bread was good and we filled up on that. There are too many good restaurants in Newburyport to come back here.

Visited March 2014
Hampton Falls, New Hampshire
“Not a repeat”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Nice decor, very good wait staff, however we had issues with food. The mussels were loaded with sand..we spoke to the waiter, and he adjusted the bill..However my duck dish was in desperate need of something!! Like additional sauce, less smokiness....and the crispy artichoke were in deed crispy, kind of like dried leaves...way too dry and limited sauce to help soften the dryness. Great culinary idea, just way too overdone for this culinarian. I beieve it would assist the chef if he asked for feedback...I would not go there again... So dissapointed.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not what i expected...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

This place was initially marketed as a Portuguese Restaurant and given the name, you would think that. "Ceia" means supper/dinner in Portuguese. Unfortunately, that's not what was on the menu....I think there were a handful of dishes/drinks but the rest were not Portuguese at all. The food we did order was good. As far as the atmosphere it was pretty busy for a late afternoon dinner and even with reservations we were squeezed into a small area where we felt we were sort of in the way. It was pricier than I expected. I haven't been back and I'm not sure if I will although they have been advertising quite a lot so I'm curious about their events.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Amesbury, Massachusetts
“Better value elsewhere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband and I ate at Ceia on a Saturday night, having made reservations a few days in advance. We were greeted very nicely and seated on the lovely third floor. The experince was both good and bad. Here are the Pros and Cons:

Pros -
We had a very nice, young and polite waitress who was very attentive.
The food is delicious!
The ambience, decor, lighting and music (jazz, that night)were all top notch.

Cons -
The portion sizes of the salads and appetizers were ridiculously SMALL. It felt like a joke.
The wine portions were very slight, and not even very good wine for an exorbitant price.
The meal portions are fine but for what you get....very over-priced. I got a Kobe burger with plain old french fries, $19. and they were nothing special at all.

In sum, if you feel like spending a lot of money just for the heck of it, go to Ceia for a meal. But, I think you can find just as good a meal, for a much better value, elsewhere.

• Visited February 2014