“Go somewhere else” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Ceia Kitchen & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 85 Restaurants in Newburyport
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Essex St
Description: Where laughter is required. Jacket & tie are not. Going out with friends or a special someone means choosing a neighborly place that feels as comfortable as home, where conversation flows as easily as a smooth cabernet. Welcome to Ceia Kitchen + Bar. A new kind of nightlife in the heart of Downtown Newburyport, introducing this area"s first extended kitchen hours for later night dining or tete-a-tete cocktails with flavorful small plates. Our exposed brick interior with mellow lighting, cozy banquets and featured cocktail bar beckon even impromptu visits to this reliable neighborly eatery where singles, dates and a posse of good friends are assured of a comfortable night out with delicious food and great company. The spirit of Ceia (pr. SAY-yah) is in the translation of our name: "supper" in Portuguese, the language of one country included among the inspiring stops of our coastal European culinary repertoire.
“Go somewhere else”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

This was terrible...my porchetta roll had been made 5days ago and stuck under a salamander to reheat...dry as a bone..burger was bloody instead of medium..so what did they do with my third guests entree....stuck it under a heat lamp to keep warm while they refired the burger..unbelievable...management apologized but not much else...still paid 155.00 for a less than edible meal...sorry but at 25-35 dollars an entree....I expected more...just because its sunday please dont try and get rid of whatever didnt sell during the week....when I asked the waitress if the chef agreed the dish was dry she said yes and that he was actually gonna chuck the rest of it....ok but not before trying to pawn it off on me at 27 bucks...really?

• 1 of 5 stars Food

New Hampshire
“The best meal I've ever eaten!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I went here as a recommendation from friends. We were happy to get same day reservations. We were seated promptly and after selecting cocktails from their signature menu we were then allowed to rest and relax and enjoy our drinks. We then were presented with amazing bites compliments of the chef. It was so nice to not feel rushed.
We then had a plate of fresh salami and mortadella with some artisan cheeses. They were so good with their mustard and fig relish we finished the whole thing in a moment. Next were the clams cooked in prosecco in a broth with toasted bread. They literally melted in your mouth. Best clams I've ever had.
Next was a bone in rib eye and hake pan seared. The rib eye actually had a buttery texture. The fish was crispy and light. Both were 2 of the best main courses we've had in a very long time.
Dessert was a flan that was so delicate and delicious.
My husband and I eat out often. We are definitely going to become regulars here. This is an absolute MUST try for anyone in the northeast. Wish I could give it more stars!!!!

Seabrook, New Hampshire
“Finally a consistnet restaurant in Newburyport”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

This is hands down the best restaurant in Newburyport. I have been a dozen times and am never disappointed. Sure it is a little on the pricey side but you get what you pay for. The food is ALWAYS outstanding. I consistently eat in Boston and have enjoyed many outstanding restaurants all over the world and it is nice to finally have a great restaurant, delicious food, professional & attentive service, perfect atmosphere close to home. A true gem in Newburyport!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Creative Upscale Menu - But You May Want to Refuse Back Booth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I'm surprised to see this restaurant ranking so low compared to some of the others since I live here. I'm not just a tourist that may only try a few restaurants here while visiting. My experience of Ceia, pronouced Say-yah, is that it is one of the few restaurants in the area serving gourmet food, albeit in a casual and very small restaurant. The location right on the main street couldn't be easier to find. The owners are Portuguese and there is a slight Portuguese slant on some of the menu items. I was inspired to write this review after my most recent visit. I had made an online reservation on Open Table but then was directed to a strange booth at the back of the restaurant that had a bench seat made of a hard flat slab of wood (no cushion) that was about 4 feet off the floor. It was the height of your kitchen counters.....higher than their bar stools. But unlike bar stools there was no cross bar to help you hoist yourself up to the seat if you need help. If you want to see what that's like, try hiking yourself up onto your kitchen counter. I am shortish, heavy-ish, and well past 50 years old and getting up onto that bench was difficult and downright embarrassing. Once up there I felt how hard and uncomfortable the slab of wood was and I jumped down and took a seat at the bar. These were lower and cushioned. Staff here should be advised to use common sense when deciding who should be directed to this ill conceived booth. I think it should be removed completely. Noise level can be high on a busy weekend night. But all of our dishes were delicious and beautifully presented which is why I have to give it 5 stars.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best restaurant in Newburyport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Don't be dissuaded by the negative reviews. This place is by far the best food in Newburyport. My wife and I are big foodies (been to dozens of Michelin 3-star restaurants worldwide), and this place is good for the North Shore -- we've been many times. People from the area may think it's pricey, but c'mon...it's actually pretty reasonable for the quality -- about what you'd pay anywhere in Boston. The service isn't always perfect, but the food is the best and most creative in Newburyport by far.

Tip: their salads and pasta dishes are their strong points.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere