“Overpriced, patronizing, and just “not nice” in general.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Old Inn on the Green

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Marlborough
The Old Inn on the Green
You added The Old Inn on the Green to your Saves list
Route 57, New Marlborough, MA 01230   |
Los Angeles, California
“Overpriced, patronizing, and just “not nice” in general.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I’ve been using this website for years and years, and have never written a review, but people should really know about my experience at the Old Inn.
The short story:
Peter, the owner and chef at the Old Inn, and (most of) his staff, don’t like hosting and accommodating wedding parties. I’m confused as to why he took a booking with our party, only to end up treating us in an extraordinarily rude manner.
The whole story:
We got married at the Gedney this past September. We originally booked the Mepal Manor for the rehearsal dinner, the spa, and about 6 rooms, but were informed about 3 months later that the Manor and the Spa were sold and would no longer be available for our use. Michael, Gedney’s general manager, suggested we move our dinner, hair and makeup preparations, and stay to the Old Inn On the Green. This is what most of the other stumped wedding parties were doing.
My husband had numerous conversations with Peter on the phone during the reservation process. He was always very nice and accommodating, and in the end, we booked 4 out of the 6 rooms in the Thayer house (the biggest ones), and a private room at the restaurant for a party of 35 people for our rehearsal dinner.
The rehearsal dinner was a mess. We made the big mistake of not preparing sitting arrangements, and by the time my husband, his parents (who were paying), my parents, my maid of honor, her husband, and I arrived we had no where to sit. The staff were very flustered and frustrated when they had to add more chairs to the tables because we didn’t inform them of the right number of guests (we failed to count the small children, and were 5 people off). In the mean time we were all standing in the middle of the room, and family members were starting to volunteer to give up their seats and leave.
After the dinner, we tried to make reservations for breakfast the next morning, and they refused to serve our guests who “weren’t staying at the Old Inn”. We were under the impression that it was a restaurant which is open to the public, but I guess our money was no good there.
The next day, we had arranged to get the bridal party’s hair and makeup done at the Thayer house. We set up in the common area because the makeup artist didn’t have enough light to work in the rooms. We were occupying most of the rooms in the house, (and all of the rooms on the bottom floor where we were), and at this point the other rooms were empty so we had the house to completely to ourselves. About half way through, Peter showed up and lashed out (!!!) at my mom for not asking permission to use the common area. I can’t even begin to explain how inappropriate it was for him to talk to my mom the way he did. It was only a few short hours before her daughter walks down the aisle, and she was beyond upset. Why distress the mother of the bride for no reason? Literally anybody else would have been a more appropriate person to talk to, especially when the only purpose of his comments seemed to be just to reprimand someone. Our coordinator from the Gendney was there when it happened. She mentioned that they’ve been getting a lot of complaints from other guests about the attitude they’ve been getting from the Old Inn.
In the end we ended up spending almost $10,000 at the Old Inn, and I couldn’t recommend it less. They even over charged our card, by about $400, and when we called to ask for an invoice, it took an email, 8 phone calls, two voicemails, and 2 phone conversations to talk to Peter. They finally noticed that it was in fact their mistake and we got some of the money back. Seriously, if you are getting married in the area, DO NOT spend your money here. They do not like big groups, and they are not hospitable to out of towners. They are also overpriced, patronizing, and just “not nice” in general.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Hudson Valley, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

I recently returned from a 2 night stay with the hubby to celebrate our anniversary. This was a fantastic deal on Travelzoo that we could not pass up. I may have expected and wanted more if I had paid full freight. Like the title suggests, this place could use a bit of sprucing up(a coat of paint in places, new scatter rugs, parking lot improvement, more welcoming front door and porch) but there is something about its "tatteredness" that makes it comfortable and cozy. Our room (192 in the main Inn building) was very cozy and comfy but the worn, slippery scatter rug by my side of the bed nearly landed me on the floor a couple of times. But the basics, like linens and bath products, were good. There is a bit of an odd setup to this room. It is at the end of the hall on the second floor. You open a double door into a hallway and off the hallway, on the left, is the bathroom. And on the right is the bedroom. The bedroom has a lock, the bathroom does not. You can lock the double doors with a latch while inside but when you are not in the room I suppose anyone could meander through the double doors and steal your toothbrush from the unlocked bathroom. We did not find this a problem at all but someone else who reviewed the Inn made this room a big issue so I'm mentioning it. The other thing I should mention is that this room is right above one of the dining rooms. And it being a very popular restaurant, and it being a very old inn, all the noise from the dining room comes right up through the floorboards. This didn't bother us too much because we are not early to bed people. But one night a table of guests were loud and laughing past 10:15 pm which I found a bit annoying while reading in bed and settling down for the night. This is not a 5 star, totally renovated, up-to-date Inn with all the amenities of a Hilton Hotel. As a matter of fact, there is no electricity in the dining rooms so you dine totally by candlelight. But it is a charming, old (1760) Inn with renovated bathrooms, delicious food (the dinners and breakfast pastries are to die for), pleasant owner/chef, and a friendly old lab to greet you.

• Stayed November 2013
Duxbury, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The Inn is a large property located in a very rural setting approximately 20 minutes from Great Barrington. While having modern baths, the inn is very rustic. My room was supplied with plenty of plush towels and nice linens and had a wood-burning fireplace which I lit each night I was there which was very nice. My family & friends booked the entire property while attending a wedding. We received a 10% discount as a result, however there was a “service charge” tacked on the bill which negated any discount. I don’t know what “service” I received other than sleeping in a room. The prices were a bit higher than I would expect to pay given the slack time of year, the lack of amenities and the basic nature of the accommodations. If you don't love antiques (which I do) you probably should stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bedminster, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stayed for two nights mid-week and really had an enjoyable stay, from the quaintness/oldness of the inn to the excellent food by Peter Pratt, a hearty lunch and visiting the surrounding sites, such as the Rockwell Museum and one of the best bookstores anywhere (so few of them around any more). We slept like logs, ate like champs, and shopped a lot. The fall foliage was at peak so many ahs and oohs. Peter is not only a great chef but also a welcoming and accommodating host. When we asked where we could go to get tea and a snack, he came over to our room with a tray of teapots and biscotti. Our young waitress at dinner was way above average. Yes, the place is old and no, there are no concierges or valets, but there's tons of charm and friendliness.

Room Tip: We stayed in the annex in the only room with two separate beds, which were big, fluffy and comfortab...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Larchmont, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Let me start by saying that this inn is lovely and historic with lots of ambiance. The food was wonderful, however the inn keepers truly need to brush up on their people skills! When we got there a gentleman appeared after we called out. He never introduced himself. He showed us to our room and that was about it. i had to ask if there were any common rooms to hang out in. Later that evening we found the common rooms in the next building but there was absolutely no one to ask if we could have a fire. There are no comforting little touches like tea in the afternoon or a little snack. No one to ask about the area. At one point we thought a nice young lady was the owners wife but she said she wasnt. At breakfast a very quiet woman served us. She was very impersonal, just did her job. I would NEVER have guessed she was the owner. So, although nothing very untoward happened, there was just a general lack of warmth and interest in the guests that you generally get at a b&b or inn. Obviously the owners' focus is on the restaurant. Its really a shame because that is the only thing thats missing. Im not sure if I would stay there again. I probably would just go for dinner.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
New Marlborough, Massachusetts, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

One of the finest restaurants anywhere and a star of the Berkshires. Great old building, great staff, outstanding food and a steal when they have their "Welcome Menu" at $35 prix fixe for dinner. Saturday night prix fixe is also great but more expensive. Worth every dime. Candle lit, romantic and perfect. Peter Platt, the chef/owner, is truly skilled and a wonderfully community oriented person, supporting many Berkshire charities. The wait staff, including James, Max and Paolo are great people and skilled at their jobs.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
bronx
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I was always told, growing up, that if you didn't have anything good to say, be quiet. In all my past TripAdvisor reviews that has been my approach. However, after our most recent trip -- through TravelZoo to The Old Inn On The Green in New Marlborough, MA this past Wednesday and Thursday nights -- I feel compelled to share a negative review as a cautionary tale.

This past June we were up at Tanglewood in the Berkshires and decided to visit the Old Inn and get a sense of accommodations. We were invited to look at rooms by one of the owners, Meredith. We found rooms that we liked and were told to mention them when we booked--at the top of the stairs, one actually a suite with a living room and a couch, both with bathrooms in the bedroom.

Needless to say, when we booked we mentioned the rooms and were told, "no problem." But it was a problem -- and a huge one for us, made worse by what we feel was a glaring absence of Customer Care. Peter, the other owner, took us to our room, which instead was at the end of the hallway and consisted of a room and a bathroom OUTSIDE our bedroom in the hall. When we explained about our booking, he said, with a noticeable edge, "Here's your suite--a bedroom, hall and bathroom."

We were appalled to say the least, and when we spoke to Meredith the next morning, she said, "We're booked and if you had mentioned the room you wanted we would have given it to you." We said we had -- the two rooms at the top of the stairs -- and since there was no meeting of the minds, we decided that since we had plans locally that day, we might as well stay rather than drive home in the dark.

However, we were concerned about our safety as well since our section of the hall was closed off by two thin doors "secured" with a flimsy hook-and-eyelet. Since we had to leave the bedroom door open during the night for access to the bathroom, we felt very vulnerable.

We also mentioned to Meredith that it was uncomfortable sleeping as the bedroom, hall and bathroom were heated by the same system -- a serial-heating set-up that began with the bathroom, which was incredibly hot, and then the nearly-as-hot hall, and finally our bedroom, which remained cool.

Since we were unsuccessful communicating our concerns with Peter or Meredith we called Travel Zoo and was told by supervisor that if there are service or quality issues, we'd have to deal with the hotel!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Old Inn on the Green? Share your experiences!