“A Gem of a Getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Old Inn on the Green

You added The Old Inn on the Green to your Saves list
The Old Inn on the Green
4.0 of 5 Inn   |   134 Hartsville New Marlborough Rd, Rte 57, Village Green, New Marlborough, MA 01230   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
framingham, ma
“A Gem of a Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Enticed by an online deal I could not resist, and the chance to visit an undiscovered Berkshire town, I booked a two-nite package with meals. I urge you to book now -- at any price -- to enjoy the positive experience this fine historic inn and dining room provides. Can you say "candlelit 5-star dinner?" Young, professional servers know their stuff, and the serious wine list merits special attention. Rooms upstairs or in an adjacent building were supremely tasteful, modern ( !! ) and offered every amenity. A sparkling pool, atmospheric bar, brick outdoor patio, laid back yet solicitous staff, and breakfast with fruit buffet and hot-from-the-oven baked goods all iced the cake, for me. Tired of all that tranquility? Funky, lively, culture-filled Great Barrington is an easy 15-minute drive to the north, while sleepy and scenic villages dot the south, west and east. I returned to "reality" feeling relaxed and refreshed from my 48-hour retreat.

Room Tip: Street-side upper rooms have shady porches; a good choice since there is virtually NO traffic or noi...

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This inn is located in a sleepy part of the Berkshires, a perfect place for relaxing and winding down from the normal daily routines. The inn is very comfortable but the outstanding facet is its high end dining - both dinner and breakfast are above the normal par for such a destination. It has a "28" out of "30" dining rating, and it is well deserved. Although set in a rather remote area, it takes only a short drive to many interesting places. We will return.

Room Tip: Room # 194 is very comfortable with two good sized rooms and a nice porch overlooking the green- all...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Princeton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

What began as a special dinner out to celebrate ended with a lovely overnight. We have dined here several times and were willing to travel 2 hours just for this special dinner - and the dinner was absolutely superb! There is such attention to detail and flavors. This is not for those who look for quantity over quality. Dining here is very reminiscent of fine dining in Europe. Toward the end of our wonderful dinner my husband suggested that we ask if they had a room available, rather than take the long drive back home. They did, and set about preparing the room while we indulged in dessert and coffee. When we entered our bedroom there was a lovely fire in the fireplace. We were made to feel so welcome and we continue to have wonderful memories.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here mid week and it was wonderful. Our hostess Meredith met us promptly and showed us to our room. It was a lovely room with a large bathroom and jacazzui. She suggested dinner that evening in Great Barrington and recomended a couple of places to try. After we unpacked we sat by the pool and relaxed with drinks. Breakfast was wonderful, lots of fresh fruit, yogurt, hard boiled eggs and wonderful warm pasteries from the bakery. My birthday dinner was the best of all. A 7 course wine and tasting meal that was amazing. I couldnt have asked for anything more.

Yorktown NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

the Innkeepers were very cordial and the Inn is very charming. I echo much of the other good reviews before me, so I wont repeat. The restaurant is closed on Tuesday. Ok, fine - we'll just find another restaurant that night. Well, the problem is all the restaurants seem to be closed on Tuesday nights. I think the Inn would do their customers a favor and provide a list of nearby places that are open onTuesday nights. The Inn is in a very secluded part of the Berkshires and there is nothing much to do in the direct vincinity of the Inn. I recomending if you are there on a Tuesday plan on eating in Stockbridge, Lee or Great Barrington. Also, I stayed in room 205 in the Thayer House. Lovely bathroom, the robes were great. The bed was very sqeaky. I'm just saying.

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the inn through a travelzoo deal which included dinner, lunch and breakfast. We began our afternoon evening with wine, cheese and crackers complimentary! Dinner was amazing. I had a lobster claw and scallop appetizers that was so sweet and tender I would have thought I was dining at a restaurant on the Boston waterfront! The waitstaff (James) and others (Meredith and Peter along with a couple of others) were really nice and friendly. They gave us great recommendations like Hancock Shaker Village, Campbell Lake Falls and some museums which we didn't actually have time to partake in! We both agreed this 4 star in deserves a 5th! We plan to come back again!

Room Tip: We chose the room with the Jacuzzi but never got a chance to use it!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Meriden, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was listed on Travelzoo. It included 1 dinner, which on the first evening was wonderful. The 2 breakfasts included wonderful pastries provided by the Southfield Store Cafe, fresh fruit and homemade granola. And a 3 course lunch, also at the café, again wonderful food. We stayed in the Thayer House which was clean and comfortable. I called ahead to ask a couple of questions. The woman who answered was very rude and just hung up when I finished with my questions. My husband mentioned it when he called and the gentleman said he would take care of it. Come to find out, the woman is the other owner. One of the other guests asked if she had any suggestions where they should start sightseeing, and her answer was a curt," DO YOU WANT ME TO PLAN YOUR VACATION FOR YOU?!?" The second night we decided to eat at the restaurant because I wanted the soup I had the night before. It was very crowded. My soup was 1/2 the portion and had been diluted with maybe milk to stretch it. I would rather have been told they ran out than to do what they did to it. It changed the whole texture and flavor of the soup. I would definitely east at the Southfield Store Café again. And I would like to give the Old Inn on the Green restaurant another chance. But, I hope the owner practices her people skills before she drives people away. Perhaps, she can find something to do behind the scenes?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Old Inn on the Green? Share your experiences!