“Easily one of the two best restaurants in the area” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Williamstown, Massachusetts
“Easily one of the two best restaurants in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Great food. Great atmosphere (as long as they seat you in the old part. I've been there a dozen times and it's never been so crowded that they've needed to seat people in the new part.). Great service. It's what a very good restaurant should be.

Visited September 2012

Miami
“Mill on the Floss is the Very Best of the Berkshires”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

If you go to only one restaurant in the Berkshires, make it the Mill on the Floss. Set back off the road up a hill, this charming eatery is really romantic. Dark lighting, a fireplace, soft music. One can easily imagine Debussy or Gaugin bringing their romantic liasons here. Service is friendly and efficient. Start with a drink or champaigne. Your server will bring a tasty nosh to go with the drink. Everything on the menu is prepared to order in this family run establishment. Soups are rich and thick, salads fresh and crisp. The fish dishes are wonderful, not overcooked, great flavorings. The beef is prime and beautifully prepared. Medium rare is never raw. The deserts are icing on the cake. I love the French apple cake with ice cream. For a wonderful evening, this is a place that will not disappoint and you'll want to come back. The noise level is low. You can actually have a conversation over dinner here. Mill on the Floss is a class act!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia
“A big disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We tried this restaurant last year while visiting the Berkshires and seeing a play at the
Williamstown Theatre. It was an excellent decision. So when we came back for a visit
in the Summer of 2012 we immediately made a reservation remembering our good
meal. What a disappointment! The service was slow and uncaring. The food was not
up to par. My rack of lamb - while medium rare - was burned on the ends of the bones
and had a very lackluster sauce. It took awhile to "find" the vegetables on the plate.
Finally the salad was mediocre. What a comedown from last year. Hope that they
can improve because the atmosphere is lovely and we did have a very well priced
bordeau.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
NJ
“Berkshires Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Lovely and charming ambience, warm and inviting. People actually dressed for this restaurant! The food was superb. Two of the beef tenderloins with garlic were perfectly done. The other was overcooked and had to be returned. But everyone agreed that the beef melted in our mouths. The duck a l'orange was a treat. And the hazelnut torte was to die for! There is a very good wine list. The service was above average. Prices are a bit high, but worth it for this fine dining establishment. Good for special occasions and adults. Not recommended for children unless they have fine palates and are well-behaved.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
newton,ma
“Lovely French Restaurant in restored 18th century mill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

My husband and I dined at the Mill on the Floss on July 7, 2012, The service was excellent. The food was delicious.
Before dinner, I enjoyed a St. Germaine Martini-superb!! My husband sampled several wines throughout the meal, finding the wine list quite adequate.

He began the meal with the Soup du Jour-Tomatoe-Vegetable- finding lots of chunks of veggies( I think he thought it was going to be a consumme), and therefore somewhat filling)-I had the Onion Soup au Gratine-delicious and. thankfully, not overpoweringly flavored with salt ,which would have been detrimental to enjoying the other flavors-lots of cheese and bread-quite filling, so I gave half to my husband.who does not eat lunch.
For the entree, my husband ordered the Halibut with Crab and Shrimp. it was done very well-not dry at all.( I have this obsession with avoiding overcooked fish-as the fish continues to cook as it is brought out to the table). He enjoyed it very much and I sampled some of the fish and accompaniments & found it very tasty.
I ordered the Special of the Day-the 1 1/4 pound Lobster which was done correctly and slid right out of the shell. I must say it seemed rather small, but it was quite tasty.. Still, I later considered that I should have ordered the beef and waited until I was on Cape Cod to order Lobster..
We were very full after this meal, finding room only for the Pear Sorbet which was delicious.
We also orderd Decaf Cappuccino- our waitress realized, as she was in transit with tray to our table, that she had instead fillled the order with Caffeinated Coffee, and immediatley returned back into the kitchen to make fresh, steaming cups of the Decaf, which we were grateful for, so as not to spend the night with eyes bolting open, rather than getting a good night's sleep!
The meal proceeded at a good pace, with no long waits for any course.
We really enoyed the atmosphere and the meal, and we plan to return on our next =trip back to the Berkshires.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere