“Beautiful and Warm Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Berkshires Shirakaba Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Ashford
Berkshires Shirakaba Guest House
You added Berkshires Shirakaba Guest House to your Saves list
20 Mallery Road, New Ashford, MA 01237   |
Ranked #1 of 1 New Ashford B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New Haven, CT
“Beautiful and Warm Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

The house, the grounds and the suite (in the Japanese style, but still very much in the Berkshires), are very beautiful, clean and charming. Understated and simple, but very well done. Also the accomodations, overall, were very comfortable, even a bit luxe; pool, sauna, fantastic bed. The hosts are low-key and warm. We loved it all, from the snacks to sobakawa pillows. Go for the delicious Japanese breakfast. We will go back and we have suggested it to friends.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

We enjoyed our one night stay in July. The owners, Louise and Sadao, were excellent hosts recommending quality local restaurants, sites and serving us an excellent Japanese style breakfast. The furnishings were like new, extremely clean, and comfortable including the pillows, bed, and comforter. We spent several hours in the lap pool (approximately 84 degrees) and jacuzzi (approximately 100 degrees) exercising and relaxing, which was very enjoyable since we had them to ourselves. The grounds were vast with a quaint gazebo overlooking the surrounding hills. All in all, we enjoyed our stay and would recommend this bed & breakfast for anyone looking to get away, see some sites, and spend time together.

Long Island City, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

Louise and Sadao are the most hospitable B&B hosts we've had the pleasure of meeting. They are so friendly and willing to meet your needs to make your stay with them the most comfortable possible. The breakfasts are wonderful, you can have either a traditional Japanese breakfast or an American breakfast. The rooms are very comfortable, the bathrooms are clean, and the amenities are great! Just to name a few amenities, there is an indoor pool, work out equipment, a hot tub, and a wonderful gazebo with great views of the Berkshire mountains. The Berkshires-Shirakaba is one of the best kept secrets and our go-to B&B whenever we vacation in the Berkshires.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

Note: This review is lengthy, but this B&B should get the attention it deserves. I hope you'll decide to consider it based on my review.

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Berkshires-Shirakaba Bed and Breakfast this past weekend for two nights. We were in the area for her brother's wedding in Pittsfield.

In mid-May, I began my research for a place to stay while we were out in the Berkshires for the wedding. I used TripAdvisor as one of my resources. While I could have looked into one of the many Bed & Breakfasts in the Berkshires with a higher rating and more reviews, it was the Berkshires-Shirakaba which grabbed my attention in the long list of B&Bs.

Shirakaba, I thought? What does that mean? I consulted their website to find out. The first thing I noticed on the website was that it was advertised as a Japanese-American B&B. How interesting. I've never seen a B&B advertised like that before. I learned on the site that Shirakaba means 'white birch tree'. I was intrigued. So was my girlfriend, so I contacted the B&B to inquire about reservations.

Little did I know that my first response back from Louise would be the start of one wonderful experience after another. Louise's responses were quick, helpful and it was clear that customer service was already one of this B&B's strong points. Louise made the reservation process a breeze, and before I knew it, we had reserved our two night stay.

After reservations, Louise continued to interact with us. She wanted to know if we wanted a Japanese or American-style breakfast. We opted for the Japanese breakfast. She also wanted to know our heights, so she could have Yakata (cotton robes) available for us to wear. We hadn't set foot inside the B&B yet, but we already felt that we were going to experience the Japanese culture and to have respect for their culture and way of life.

As excited as we were about attending the wedding this past weekend, we were also excited about our visit to the B&B. We were late arrivals our first night (we had informed Louise about this well in advance and she understood our situation). We were greeted (during a terrible rainstorm) by two of the friendliest hosts (and people) we have ever met. Louise and Sadao are two people you will never forget. They will make you feel like their home is your home. We didn't want to check out on our second day. They were a pleasure to be around and they devoted a lot of their time to us.

Words cannot even begin to describe the experience we had. I will say that the experience was very faithful and respectful of the Japanese culture. As is customary, no shoes are allowed passed the main entrance. Slippers are provided. Slippers must also be removed prior to entry of the tatami mat room where we had our breakfasts.

You can read their website to see the long list of amenities the B&B offers. We didn't take advantage of many of them due to time, but I highly recommend spending some time out at the gazebo --just less than a 5-minute walk down a path behind the B&B. The view from the gazebo offers amazing views of nearby mountains. My girlfriend and I spent some time sitting in the gazebo relaxing and enjoying the breeze.

If you want to go for the true Japanese experience, be sure to have the Japanese breakfast. There was enough food to cover breakfast and lunch, but we ate everything they served us. Sure, we were full, but we were more than satisfied. From memory, they provided yogurt, fruit, shittake mushrooms (cooked), pickled radishes, miso soup, white rice and sliced boiled egg. Plenty of hot tea as well.

Our room was very pleasant too. We had the main room (not the suite). Right outside of our room was the fish pond in front of the house. The running water for the fish pond was a nice, soothing, relaxing sound, especially during the night. The room has some really nice surprises waiting for you (which I won't spoil here). The bed itself is very comfortable and we both slept very well after long days.

The exterior and interior of this B&B are truly works of architectural magnificence. The pictures on the site don't even begin to convey how amazing it is to be near (or in) it and to marvel at the design and layout. You have to experience it to truly understand and respect the work that went into it.

But enough about the house. What really makes this B&B stand out (apart from everything else mentioned above) are Louise and Sadao. Here are two people that have opened up their beautiful home for all to share. They let you into their personal lives. They are comfortable with people. They love meeting new people. They love knowing all about you. And they love to spend time with you. Sadao gave us a brief lesson on how to write Japanese and Chinese letters. He didn't have to, but we expressed interest in it and he was more than happy to share his knowledge. He has a great sense of humor too. Louise --well, I could spend more time than you have talking about what an amazing person she is. She has a caring heart and she made us feel so comfortable and right at home, that it was hard to say goodbye to her.

Berkshires-Shirakaba is a place we will often return to, I'm sure. Thank you so much Louise and Sadao for giving us an experience we'll always remember. See you soon!

Newport, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here for Valentine's Day. Louise (our hostess) went so far out of her way with special requests for specific flowers and chocolate, and even setting up our room beautifully with flowers and music and candles for when we came back from dinner. The house is beautiful, and I really felt right at home. The walk to the gazebo at midnight was wonderful, and the delicious breakfast in the morning really topped everything off. Sadao (our host) even came down with a snowblower and shovel when my little car couldn't make it up the driveway and I parked in the snow (my fault for driving a dodge shadow to the berkshires! :) We are already planning our second trip, and we just got home tonight.

Been to Berkshires Shirakaba Guest House? Share your experiences!