“Home Away From Home (But Better)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Berkshires Shirakaba Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Ashford
Berkshires Shirakaba Guest House
20 Mallery Road, New Ashford, MA 01237   |
Ranked #1 of 1 New Ashford B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brookline, Massachusetts
“Home Away From Home (But Better)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

My partner and I spent two nights at Berhshires Shirakaba this past week and couldn't have had a better time. Our stay managed to combine the casual freedom of being at home with the pampered luxury of a great inn. We could not have felt more at home in Louise and Sadao's house: getting drinks from the fridge, using their Direct TV, and just generally hanging out around the beautiful property. But unlike being at home, our every need was attended to: all the food and drink we could handle (including an amazing selection of homemade ice creams), special robes to wear to the pool and hot tub (in addition to the yukata for the house), a load of laundry done for us, and a bag of goodies to take with us when we left. We had initially planned the weekend as an Explore-Western-Mass-Getaway (and it is a perfect home base for the Williamstown Theater Festival, Mass MoCA, Tanglewood, etc.), but loved it so much at the house that we ended up spending most of our time there, except for the two evening shows we already had tickets for. You will love it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Weston, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

When we arrived, Louise and Sadao met us at the door with our slippers. Which was followed by kimonos, personalized items, and unique experiences like screen "painting" Japanese letters that disappear. We ate breakfast outside, under the morning sun, each day, to the sound of Japanese lullabies. During my "Japanese" breakfast, I became adept at dipping thin seaweed strips into soy sauce and then, with my chopsticks, wrapping each strip around a portion of rice. All was tasty and presented beautifully and thoughtfully. When we went to the private indoor pool for a swim, we saw a bowl of cherries waiting for my wife (who had mentioned earlier that she liked cherries). Desires and whims were anticipated by our friendly and attentive hosts. When we returned from the James Taylor concert (Louise arranged for our tickets), there was homemade ice cream of pallate-peeking (or is it peaking or maybe even piquing?) flavors waiting for us at Shirakaba, in Japanese dishes with small decorative spoons. Nice location to tap into Pittsfield, Stockbridge, Tanglewood, Lenox, and Williamstown. Our five days at Shirakaba were active but restful, exotic but comfortable, and private but homey. Domo Arigato Louise and Sadao. Arleen and Marc Sandy Block

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

A beautiful location at the Berkshires and very gracious and attentive proprietors make this stay very special and memorable one.
They pay attention to the details of the needs of their guests and it is a home away from home.
They were recently featured by the NYTimes magazine and they have met our expectations and beyond.

Room Tip: All available rooms are very comfortable and spacious. If interested in a Japanese guest house exper...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Sheffield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband and I were delighted to have 24 hours away to be together, relax, re-energize. We arrived at 5pm and Louise greeted us so warmly on the front step and made us feel right at home before we even entered their lovely home/inn.
Shoes off at the door and into slippers, lovely cozy and comfy accommodations awaited along with an assortment of teas and Japanese snacks.
Dinner was outstanding. We starters were offered on the porch, a special treat. You can be inside or out and because it is the 2nd story you feel as if you are in a treehouse, the views are lovely!
Once in the tatami room, very private, we were served amazing soups, cucumber salad, salmon, etc. Fresh baked desserts were impossible to turn down although we were plenty satisfied.
Breakfast was a wonderful assortment of fresh fruits, eggs, yogurt, homemade soy milk (wow) and homemade sticky buns to die for. We would go back just for that, fresh and warm from the oven!
Attention to detail left us feeling like we had made a new friend in both Louise and Sadao, yet with plenty of privacy, and the feeling that we had traveled much farther and had been away much longer than 24 hours.
We will definately be back and next time with friends to fill up the house!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

On a recent trip to Massachusetts, I had the pleasure of staying a few days with Louise and Sadao. This is exactly the way they made me feel, like old friends. Louise is lively, generous, and has many stories to share about her years in the Berkshires. Sadao's presence has the calmness I associate with the oriental approach to life. And he is an excellent cook. Each morning, I spent time near the small pond, contemplating the fishes, reading, letting the stress go. My hope is to be able to stay there again one summer, a guest house in beautiful surroundings, a place where I will come back with joy and anticipation after an evening at one of the theater festivals. I do recommend the Shirakaba Guest House and, at least, one evening of Japanese culinary delights.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Shirakaba Guest House is the perfect place to relax and unwind. Louise and Sadao made me feel like it was home. The food was prepared exactly to my liking, the pool was perfect in temperature and cleanliness, and I was given plenty of privacy. Louise truly reaches out to her guests to make them feel like family. Walking on their grounds was refreshing and beautiful. What a view!! The absolute perfect combination of Japanese/American culture. I look forward to my second trip and bringing along my dog! I highly recommend this wonderful guest house!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Lanesboro, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My wife and I were married in a small private ceremony at Berkshires Shirakaba in July 2011, and were the first couple to be married there. Some friends of ours had won a raffle prize for Shirakaba at the Bridal Expo in Pittsfield, so when my wife saw this on their Facebook page, she looked it up and realized it was the gazebo she recognized from her commute. We were looking for a special outdoor location for our wedding, visited and met with Louise and Sadao, and decided it would be ideal for us.

We had a very private, intimate wedding experience, and the day was perfect in every way. Louise and Sadao were wonderful hosts and gave us a nice, slow-paced and relaxing day to enjoy the beautiful views and quiet serenity of their unique location. We arrived early to get dressed in the house, and Louise was very helpful in making sure everyone was comfortable and relaxed while getting ready. They had set up the gazebo area just as we had envisioned, and Bridget from Berkshire Flower Company handled the beautiful floral arrangements. The six-course meal that followed was delicious and conducted at a flexible pace based on when we were ready for the next course, and we never felt rushed. Sadao taught us how to roll our own sushi, and they even had activities available to keep my 7-year-old stepson occupied, plus a special kid-friendly meal for him.

The service was excellent in every way, and we wouldn't have changed a thing. We would definitely recommend the Shirakaba experience to other people both from within and outside Berkshire County. While we can't comment on the overnight guest house experience since we didn't stay there, based on the 6 hours or so we spent there on our wedding day, we can say that Louise and Sadao are terrific hosts and that Shirakaba is a truly unique getaway here in the Berkshires.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Berkshires Shirakaba Guest House? Share your experiences!