“Cute little place...” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Takeout
Needham MA
“Cute little place...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Best part is that the menu is not like anything readily available in Needham. Quiche, crepes, avgolemono soup, yet curiously only sliced bread to accompany these European delights. I had a raspberry square so pungent with real raspberry flavor, it put those jelly-infused ones to shame (think most cherry pie). Fabulous! Its not table service, there is VERY limited seating, and you have the vague impression that it is only a restaurant as a sideline. Perhaps catering is what takes first billing. In any case...a nice addition to the Center.

Visited December 2013

73% Recommend
Boston
“Great restaurant in a tough location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

This location has had it's run of restaurants, and we meant to try the seafood restaurant that was in this site. We met another couple, who suggested it and was pleasantly surprised to find a fine restaurant. We had the Scallops and Duck with the Calamari starter. The wine list is complete, but priced ambitiously. The service was excellent and only the lack of expresso to finish the good desserts was missing. This is a nice addition to the restaurants in Needham center at the corner of Great Plain Ave. and Dedham Ave., right at the light.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Fresh and delicious in a surprisingly elegant atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

We were in town for business and the hotel shuttle driver recommended The Farmhouse. We were pleasantly surprised and impressed with the menu. The food was wonderful. The wine choices exceptional. The service was perfect. One of the best meals we have had traveling in quite some time. Thank you for the experience. Good luck!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Very good all around tasty fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We both liked our entrees, mine was ribs on pasta, his was salmon.. bread is out of this world, service attentive and friendly. It is a nice setting but does not have great acoustics so it gets overly loud when the place is full, our only negative. Fresh good food ~~ expect medium prices, not inexpensive. ps dessert yummy too

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Patience my dear ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Great concept - good food, healthier, farm-raised ... I get it. So let's up the food tasty-ness, up the service level and you've got a homerun!

THE GOOD
Menu had interesting things on it: rabbit, duck, pasta with short ribs. Salads were authentic as well: prosciutto salad (prosciutto, noodles, caesar greens), some other tasty stuff. Waiter was great - personable, but not an entertainer ... I'm not there to be entertained by the wait staff and their jokes.

THE BAD
Not all so bad ... but fix these and, like I said - homerun. Slow service: Wife ordered a martini from the menu THEY suggested. It came at least 10 minutes after she ordered it; wine came 15 minutes after we ordered it; bread took 15 minutes to hit the table and the bread gal rationed it out like it was the last supper; meals took forever. Granted it was a Saturday night - but come on, you want to step it up in an upscale town and stop people from going into Boston? Then do it ...

Meals were tasty ( I had beef short rib pasta, wife had a veggie tart). Good - but not great, warm not hot. These aren't rocket science meals guys - make em, make em tasty and get em out hot.

INTERESTING
Some wait staff have small attitudes, which is no doubt spawned by the woman who owns/runs the place - she is always into something with somebody - the night we were there she was cruising around in Pippy Lond Stocking rainbow socks. We have listened to her before - she needs to lose the tude.

The waitress we had asked me (I am a male) if I wanted another martini - my wife was having the martini. The same lady asked my wife to taste the wine I ordered -- I said I would -- she told me she never lets her husband order the wine ... weird but I am over it.

Good place - not great. Tastier food and less weird comments and slow service and these guys could make a decent place that people would kill for: like Sweet Basil - right next door!

Visited November 2013