“OUR STAY AT THE VERVE” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Natick
Montreal, Canada
“OUR STAY AT THE VERVE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in October. We were 4 adults in one room. We travelled here for a soccer tournament. The hotel is beautiful as it is modern and somewhat clean. When we walked into the room we deposited our bags and there was a smell coming from the tv stand area. When we looked behind it there was a crumbled sock behind the unit. Unfortunately the sock was never removed. The room itself was a nice size and we did not feel crowded although we were 4 adults. We were only there to sleep. The décor was nice as it was modern as well. The bathroom was good. The shower worked well, the pressure was good. Nice amenities. The only problem was that the fan in the bathroom did not work. The restaurant of the hotel "The Pantry" was very nice. I really liked the way they served the food as well as the different sorts of foods such as strawberry butter, chorizo and eggs etc...The only thing was that the service was slow. I feel bad mentioning this but we ate there twice and both times it was quite slow. I would have given 4 and 1/2 stars but it won't let me. I really like that that you can go shopping because there are stores all around the hotel. You don't absolutely need a car. Check out was quick which was great. Overall I enjoyed my stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I figure management must beat the staff regularly, as the service was so unfriendly and unhelpful. Examples:

1) Called hotel front desk to ask about directions to hotel by train. Put on hold for 12 minutes. Front desk person told me to "come downstairs to the front desk & I'll tell you". Told her I was trying to GET to the hotel...and she could not give me directions. Her diction betrayed a clear lack of education. After two tries with the front desk, I elected to speak to "group sales" and got a very pleasant woman who worked in a regional office, not on-site. However, she was able to give me clear directions to the hotel by train within seconds.

Fun fact: what happens when you are put on hold is you get to listen to commercials raving about the hotel's great service. Then the phone rings a few times, but instead of a human answering the phone, you get dumped back into the commercials. This happens several times while you are waiting to speak to someone. Very suspenseful!

2) Was told there by the helpful woman in group sales that there was a shuttle that would pick up guests at the train station. This service is also advertised on the website. Told to call the hotel before the train arrived at West Natick station. Called 20 minutes before train arrived; the man who answered insisted I call when I got to the station. I told him that is not what I had been advised to do. Then he said OK, we'll be there when you arrive, but no shuttle was at the station. Called from the station; was put on hold for 12 minutes on a cold autumn night. Finally someone answered. Said the shuttle would be there in 10 minutes. Shuttle arrived 50 minutes after my first call from the train. The shuttle driver was the most pleasant of all the hotel staff I encountered. I felt sorry for him because apparently both shuttle vans were in the shop or something -- so there was only one vehicle available for guests.

3) Decor is a garish W hotel wanna-be nightmare. If you like barbershop chairs, neon and parking garages, you will love this place.

4) Individual heating/AC unit in room was so loud, it woke me up several times during each of my two-night stay.

5) Bottled water was not replaced by chambermaid. This represented lost revenue to the hotel of $3.

6) Wanted to sit and have a drink with colleagues in the lobby on a Saturday night, but the tables were dirty. I asked the front desk clerk to have them cleaned. When the housekeeper arrived, she cleaned one dirty table, but not the one we were sitting at. When I asked her if she could kindly wipe down our table, she snapped at us -- very loudly -- and walked away. Absolutely stunning. She reminded me of the actress who played "Momma" in THROW MOMMA FROM THE TRAIN.

7) On Sunday, I went to the Phoenix Room to look for a colleague, where breakfast had been served. I did not intend to have breakfast (very mediocre), but the minute I walked into the room, a hotel staffer felt a need to inform me brusquely, and in no uncertain terms, that the room was CLOSED FOR BREAKFAST and needed to be set up RIGHT AWAY for ANOTHER FUNCTION and that we NEEDED TO LEAVE. I believe a sane, courteous person might have asked first if I wanted to have breakfast and if I had said yes, she could have politely explained the situation.

8) I could not access the hotel's "complimentary" wi-fi.

Caveat emptor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Melanie F, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Boston - Natick, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear E G,

Thank you for your feedback. We do take our comments very seriously and our staff strives to provide comfortable accommodations and friendly service. I am very sorry that you received service throughout your stay that was unacceptable and that we have fallen short of the expectations you have come to know from the Crowne Plaza brand. I have shared your nice comments with the shuttle driver and am glad you were able to have this pleasant interaction and found their efforts helpful after quite a frustrating experience. I apologize for the run around you experienced trying to obtain directions and also that you were put on hold for quite some time. I'm sorry you could not access the complimentary wifi.

I have shared all of your comments with our management team and will use these to improve the quality of service and amenities we offer to our guests. Feedback is a gift and I will ensure it is shared with the appropriate people to ensure that our valued guests expectations are met in the future. I do hope you will return and give our staff a chance to show you how great the Verve can be and the level of service it represents. I would like to give you my direct number so you can contact me with any questions or concerns you have. That being said, If you are returning to Natick, please contact me and I would be happy to set up your accommodations and discuss your previous stay in greater detail. I hope you have a nice holiday season.

508-653-8800,extension 821
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Ive been coming here on and off for many years. This was my first time since the new refurbishment of the bar area etc.I really like the changes.
This is a typical Crowne Plaza, comfortable and spacious, good for business. Cool welll stocked bar with good selection of drinks and bar food.
Shopping and restaurants locally are very good with lats of choice.
Would recommend AAA+++

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Melanie F, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Boston - Natick, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Alan P,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments as a frequent guest of the Verve! We appreciate your loyalty and are glad you enjoyed our recent renovations and had a chance to visit the Violet Thorn lounge. As a primarily business hotel, we are happy to have you as our guest and pleased to hear you found the rooms comfortable and spacious.

We look forward to your next visit on behalf of the staff at the Crowne Plaza Natick.

ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We recently visited our family in Boston for our grandson's fifth birthday party. We have stayed at The Verve, twice previous to this and each time we were provided with a lovely room , with exceptional service. This time the new Club floor was completed, and we were very pleased with the courtesy of an upgrade to a room on this floor, which provided modern new furnishings, flat screen televisions in the bedroom and bathroom, as well as a comfortable bed, and ample electrical outlets throughout the bedroom and bathroom.Housekeeping service was timely and a request for additional bath towels was promptly met.
We had breakfast at The Pantry, and the service was professional and very efficient.
While this property is about a 20 minute drive outside of Boston proper, the service, amenities and value more than compensate for the ride.
Check in and check out were handled very quickly and professionally.
We look forward to staying at The Verve again, when we visit our family in Boston.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear 1diva,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience staying on our newly renovated floor, the Executive Level! We are pleased you had the chance to enjoy some of the newly appointed touches we made to our 7th floor rooms and that it provided you a memorable experience. We are lucky to be in a prime location for shopping and dining and our complimentary shuttle offers guests a way to navigate the area.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you visit your family in Boston next time. Thank you again for your kind comments and we cannot wait for your 4th visit! We hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday season.

nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

was near the adress I needed to be for the weekend but was very happy with the hotel. Very trendy and had cool displays everywhere. Got an additional savings for booking 2 nights. Rooms were a little on the small side but were well appointed and staff was very accomodating

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Melanie F, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Boston - Natick, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear jerseyguy27,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the VERVE Crowne Plaza. I am pleased to hear you had an enjoyable experience and enjoyed our trendy lobby décor and artwork! I regret to hear you found the rooms to be a bit on the small side but glad the variety of amenities we have to offer met your needs. I am also happy to hear you had wonderful interactions with our hotel staff!

We hope to welcome you and your family back to the hotel in the future should your travels bring you back to the Metrowest area. Check our website for more special savings, as we always have exciting new deals to offer! When you are returning, please contact me directly and I will see if some of the other room types we offer may be more accommodating for your needs.

Rancho Cucamonga, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Arrived about 11 pm due to late flight, when tried to check-in there's no record of my reservation. Fortunately I brought my paper copy & my reservation was recreated into system. Reservation was made thru their IHG website. Front desk person apologized & offered free buffet breakfast. Breakfast was o.k.; scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, breads, juices, etc. The room was quiet so was able to get a good night sleep. Room was clean. Like other reviewers our TV remote would not work either and complaint was made to front desk at check-out. Later when credit card bill arrived I was charged for 2 rooms for 1 night. I called hotel directly to inquire about this, they apologized for their error & credit my account back. No explanation as to why this happened. Unsure if I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Check the TV remote before you unpack!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Melanie F, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Boston - Natick, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear 1travelingDad,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent visit. I am sorry to hear that upon check-in, the front desk was not able to locate your reservation you made directly on our website. I will look into this issue with IHG further. I also regret to hear that you had a less than satisfactory breakfast in our Pantry Restaurant, and have shared your comments with our kitchen and restaurant staff.

I am very happy you enjoyed a good nights sleep in our very comfortable, Crowne Plaza beds and that the room was quiet enough to meet your needs. I have shared your concerns regarding the TV remote with my maintenance staff.

While I am unsure of the reason for the billing issue, I am glad to hear that the front desk was able to get this fixed immediately. If you have the chance to discuss your stay in a bit more detail and look into why the billing issue occurred, please contact me directly and I will see why this happened. Next time you are in the area, I hope you will consider our hotel and allow me to set up your accommodations personally. (508-653-8800) Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to serving you in the future!

Kindest Regards,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Maybe the bar is great but this is supposed to be a Crown Plaza and thus I had certain expectations for my one night stay. Like I'd expect a channel guide in my room and HD quality TV (nope). I expect my heat/air to work. I expect when they have me switch to a second room at 130AM that they'd make sure the thermostat worked in the second room, but it didn't (dead batteries). I'd expect the security guy they sent up would have an inkling as to how the thermostat works (he didnt) and I'd expect they'd have spare batteries (did not stay awake long enough to find out). I'd expect that when offered a complimentary breakfast my eggs would not run off the plate (gross). I'd expect that when I check out and ask to speak to a manager, one is present. I'd expect that when they offer to have him call me (after 3pm) that they ask for my phone number (which they did not have). After all that I did not expect the manager to call and those expectations were met. I will be calling the corporate office tomorrow.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Melanie F, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Boston - Natick, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Brian P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I regret to hear that your recent stay did not meet the level of expectations you have come to expect from the Crowne Plaza brand. All feedback is very important to us and plays a critical part in improving our service and the satisfaction of our valued guests. I apologize for the trouble you experienced relocating your room, and have shared your comments with our housekeeping and maintenance staff regarding the heating unit and thermostat. I have also spoken with the senior restaurant manager about the disappointing breakfast you had in our Pantry Restaurant.

I am glad to hear you had an enjoyable time in our Violet Thorn lounge. Our recent renovations of our lobby and lounge area provide a unique and trendy spot to relax and have a bite to eat.

When you are available, I would like to discuss your experience in more detail to ensure your satisfaction with our hotel. Please contact me directly (508-653-8800) or by email. I hope you will consider returning to the VERVE Crowne Plaza should your travels bring you back to the Metrowest area.

mfaas@distinctivehospitalitygroup.com

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Boston - Natick? Share your experiences!