“More than a name change” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Worcester, Massachusetts
“More than a name change”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Was hesitate to give Zaftig's a try when we discovered Joan and Ed's was no longer in that location. But hungry, we charged ahead. Yes, it was a disappointment. Corned beef in the Reuben was stringy and tough. Had to actually take it out of the sandwich and saw it with a knife. My daughter ordered a spinach salad. Asked for tomatoes and was charged another $1 for four small grape/cherry tomatoes. Expensive. Almost $3 for a cup of coffee. Not again.

Visited February 2013

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Good Homestyle Cooking - Great Cold Cuts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My wife beat me to the punch on this restaurant as Zaftig has replaced the former Joan & Ed's Deli that had previously been in the same location. I had the stuffed cabbage on my initial visit. The portions were huge and the sauce covering the cabbages was semi-sweet and tasty. The hamburg stuffing was good, but had more rice in it for my taste. I mix rice with hamburg when I make stuffed peppers but not in the increased proportion at this deli. On the plus side I have had sandwiches here on other occasions. The portions are great and their cold cuts are excellent. Overall, the service is very good and I feel good about recommending you give Zaftigs a try.

Framingham, Massachusetts
“Very accomodating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I went here last night w/ a party of 12 for my wife's birthday and they came through on the fly. The appetizers were very tasty; especially the beef brisket quesadilla. The entree that I had was the tuna melt and it was really good. Dessert for me was the grapenut custard which was served warm and tasted fresh. My wife had the boston cream pie and she said it was awesome! Thank you Zaftig's!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Natick, Massachusetts
“Don't Go Here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I went here for breakfast with my wife, 3 year old son, and 1 year old daughter. The kids got pancakes off the kids menu. The wife and I got breakfast sandwiches. The sandwiches were not listed on the menu but they told us they made them and it is not a problem.
My wife got and egg and cheese on a bagel. I got one egg and corned beef hash on an english muffin.
The food was fine but here is the kicker. The sandwiches that they do not list on the menu were $10.95 each. Our bill came to $46.00 before adding on a tip!

Needless to say I felt swindled in my opinion and egg and cheese should never be over $7.00. To pay over $50.00 for breakfast for two adults and two very small children is ridiculous.

This place is outrageously overpriced, for mediocre food.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Somerville, Massachusetts
“Good Breakfast Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

This review is, to some extent, limited to its breakfasts, to which we go about once per week. The quality and selection of available items (which, by the way, include pretty much its entire menu) greatly exceed that available at other places in the area. Which is not to say that it falters in other areas. But, you do have to remember that this is a NYC-style deli -- you won't find a romantic decor nor filet mignon here. What you will get is a more or less authentic Reuben or pastrami sandwich or black & white cookie. Some might say that it is expensive for the size of its portions; perhaps so, but then you don't find the quality corned beef, lox, etc that you will get here anywhere else in the area. As to service, we have always found it to be extremely friendly and attentive (totally the opposite of a "real" NY deli -- you'll have to go elsewhere if you want to experience that kind of treatment).

• Visited November 2012