“NO AC!!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Clearwater, Florida
“NO AC!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2007

I loved the Mennemsha Inn we stayed in a average room for one night that was very nice and moved to a suite in the main building on the 2nd floor..
I am now from Florida and as the sunsets the sunshines right into the 2nd floor suites. (((The view was to die for))) After cutting up some cheese's opening a wonderful bottle of Opus. I became violently ill from the heat. The hotel does provide fans and at night you do get an ocean breeze. It just was not enough for me. Our travel agent did not tell us that most resorts on the vineyard have no AC...
Great place- I have been allot of place- by far this is one of my favorites.

• Liked — The view..Its in a private location..
  • Disliked — NO AC and NO in Room link for computer
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2007

As first time visitors to the Vineyard we couldn't have been happier with our stay. After spending 2 nights in Edgartown we traveled "Up-Island" to the Menemsha Inn. It was serenely exquisite. We stayed in a Carriage House room that was lovely and very comfortable with a deck that offered an uninterrupted view of the country side and ocean beyond. We lingered at breakfast each morning on the outdoor deck and marveled at the peacefulness and beauty of the island. We saw bunnies and wild turkeys as we strolled to the beach through the wooded path. Dinner at the Beach Plum was yummy. The temps were in the high 70's, and sunny. We swam at the mostly deserted beaches. We can’t wait to go back and we def would choose this inn again.

• Liked — the grounds were lovely
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2007

Beautiful location, but the Inn is poorly run.

Twice, we discovered that we had no hot water in our room. Although the problem was quickly resolved both times, we were rather disappointed with how the Inn's staff handled the problem. For example, on neither instance when we informed the front desk of the problem were we ever told "Sorry about the inconvenience." A simple apology can go quite a long way, but the Inn's staff apparently has not been taught that lesson. In addition, there was little communication from the staff about when and how the problem would be resolved. The second time that we reported the problem, for example, I inquired about moving to another room. The receptionist on duty said that she would look into that opportunity, and call my room shortly. Such a call never came. Instead, I myself returned to the front desk over an hour later, where I was informed that the problem had been resolved 30 minutes prior. Was I, as a paying guest, expected to be responsible for checking if and when the hot water was repaired? The inability of the Inn's staff to keep it's guests informed about simple problems like this is disheartening and certainly is not what I would expect from an Inn charging as much as this one.

We also rented two bikes at a total cost of $30. It took my companion and I almost 30 minutes to find two bikes that we felt were in good enough repair to even consider riding on a short trip to a nearby town. I would estimate that almost 80% of the Inn's bikes were in such a state of disrepair - the two biggest problems being soft brakes and faulty gear shifters - as to be dangerous. I understand that these bikes probably receive a lot of use and need substantial maintenance by the end of the summer season, but it is surprising that the Inn does not maintain these bikes properly or at least remove those that are in disrepair from use.

Finally, my companion realized that his credit card had been charged twice for a dinner we had. When he contacted the restaurant to have the second charge reversed, he was told that the manager was not available, and that only the manager had the authority to correct such a mistake. The receptionist also commented that she "did not think it unreasonable that we wait a day to have the charge reversed." A rude and uncalled for response, particularly when it was the Inn that made the error and not my companion.

Needless to say, it is unlikely that we will stay at the Menemsha Inn again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

All I can say is THERE IS NO A/C! No AC in the middle of summer in New England is unbearable. I appreciate the desire for 'rustic', but come on. It's the 21st century. I even brought an extra fan from home anticipating the heat. It wasn't enough.
Room in the Carriage House was large, bathroom was smallish, dingy-looking. Most of the staff was friendly, helpful. Some weren't. Very expensive for what you get. Advice: stay at the Beach Plum or the Inn at Blueberry Hill if you're in Menemsha/Chilmark.

• Disliked — NO Air Conditioning
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Arlington, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

This is a wonderful place. Please don't tell anyone!! Our double room in the Tea House was not fancy, but very comfortable. The balcony is the draw and it was extremely difficult to decide to move from there. The grounds, the view and the location can't be beat. So wonderfully quiet and relaxing. We had a great breeze and didn't need air-conditioning. You need to know how to entertain yourself on that part of the island but there is no shortage of things to do. This place is far superior to staying in one of the more populated towns. I found the staff to very helpful and friendly. I think a change in management might have improved things. Nice continental breafast, nothing earth-shattering, although the fresh fruit provided was as beautiful as the view. Go early before the deck fills up and enjoy your morning coffee in peace. I can't wait to go back. Minor imperfection,: the patio chaise lounges seemed a little rusty and dirty. I threw a towel over mine and it was fine but it marred slighty the otherwise perfect aesthetics of the place for me.

Stayed July 2007
Maplewood, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Menemsha Inn for the 2nd half of our MV vacation/Anniversary. I would definately recommend the Inn, especially the Carriage House suite.

After a couple of minor bumps, everything was great. When we called both Inns(Menemsha and Beach Plum) we were told more than once that Menemsha Inn guests were free to have breakfast at the Beach Plum (sister property, next door). The Beach Plum has at least one hot entree(eggs, potatoes, sausage), each morning, while the Menemsha Inn has Continental breakfast only. Upon taking this option, we were abruptly informed that this was not the case. We were slightly embarassed to say the least. Even though we were eventually "allowed" the option, it sort of felt as if they were doing us a favor, rather than honoring the information that was given to us.

Nevertheless, we totally enjoyed our stay. Our room was spotless and quite roomy. Initially I was concerned since there is no air conditioning, however, the ceiling fan and extra table fan that is provided was fine. We especially enjoyed our deck which was large enough for a table with 2 chairs and 2 chaise lounge chairs. The decks are also private, which was really nice. The ocean view and the horizon was to die for.

The staff was also very helpful and courteous. The beach pass to Lucy Vincent and the shuttle service to the beach is a nice plus. By the way, Lucy Vincent is the most beautiful beach on the vineyard.. the waves were awesome. The Inn provides beach chairs and umbrellas for their guests, and free video rentals.

In addition, we can't say enough about the location. We thought the sunset experience on Menemsha Beach was beautiful. We ordered our lobster dinners from Larsens, and had a delightful dinner on the beach while watching the sun drop into the ocean. (Don't forget to bring your wine). Also, we were close to Aquinnah, and experienced, for the first time, the beautiful colored "Gay Head" cliffs by the lighthouse.

In my opinion, this part of the island is a "must stay/must see", to really get the true MV experience. I considered staying at the Beach Plum Inn on our next visit, but after checking the room choices, I found that their decks are very small, although their view is even better from this property. However, I like the larger, more private decks at the Menemsha Inn, for reclining and relaxing,

As far as improvements, their are no major ones needed.

Minor improvements would have to be:
Wooded area path leading to the beach-could be wider & more defined
Breakfast at Menemsha Inn-at least one hot entree :)

If these minor improvements were made, the Menemsha Inn would be as close to perfect and heaven as you can get.

Camp Hill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2006

We have stayed in a cottage at the Menemsha Inn every year for the past 16 years. It is a great place to stay, and everyone there is extremely helpful and friendly. From this "homebase" we can explore everything on the island, go to the beach (shuttle bus service from hotel to the beach), go to dinner, etc. and come back to a quiet place to relax. The view from each of the cottages is fantastic!! The wild peacocks the walk the grounds are fun to watch, too. Last summer we must have seen at least 11 little baby peacocks.

Also, the complimentary breakfast in the Inn is great.

• Liked — Beautiful views, privacy
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Make your reservations EARLY
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Menemsha Inn and Cottages? Share your experiences!