My husband and I stayed at the Beach Plum in August 2006 and were very disappointed. While there were great things about the inn (the breakfasts, the view!, proximity to the town), it is NOT worth the price ($400-$500 a night). Here are some of our biggest complaints:
- The "whirlpool tub" promised on the website was covered in black mold and the jets were cracked and moldy as well. When we turned the jets on, large chunks of brown mold flew out into the water.
- We were promised a quiet, romantic room, but our room (the Delphinum) was directly above the inn's restaurant, so there was loud noise from dinner until late into the night. Sleeping with the porch door open was out of the question.
- We asked the concierge to make a dinner reservation for us (this service is advertised on the website), but it was never made.
- The beach chairs that were provided were rusted out, and none of the umbrellas worked.
- There was no one to help us with our luggage upon arrival or departure.
- One of the chairs on our porch was broken.
- Many of the towels (beach and bath) were stained.
- The clock/radio in our room was broken.
- The staff was pleasant and apologetic, and they gave us dinner in their restaurant for our last night there. That was very nice, but we didn't feel that our concerns were properly addressed - we mostly just wanted our tub cleaned!
- I wrote a letter to the manager, but I never recieved any kind of response. I thought that perhaps he would write back or just call to acknowledge our concerns, but the letter went ignored.
I do realize that these are not huge problems. But for $400 a night, we expected much higher quality in both service and amenities. The staff is far more focused on the restaurant than on the inn.
Bottom line: The Beach Plum has the potential to be a phenomenal place (given its natural surroundings), but it was very disappointing and not nearly worth $400 a night. We will certainly not be returning, and we are advising our friends and family to steer clear unless the management makes some changes.
I recommend staying at either the Victorian Inn or Jonathan Munroe House in Edgartown instead!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
First and foremost, on behalf of both the management and ownership of The Beach Plum, I would like to express my sincere apologies to this guest. This is certainly not indicative of how the Inn is operated nor maintained now-a-days.
Report response as inappropriate
Sadly, their displeasure was not conveyed accordingly so that we could have addressed their concerns at the time and remedied this matter during their stay.
Recently, The Beach Plum was purchased by Robert & Sarah Nixon, long time owners of the adjoining Menemsha Inn & Cottages. With this acquisition, the Nixon’s brought in all new management with extensive experience operating small up-scale boutique hotels to unite the two Inns into one full-service seaside resort.
Many changes have already been made and even more are now taking place. Most long-time guests of The Beach Plum will instantly recognize the newly renovated reception and dinning areas, in addition to the rich new furnishings that can be found throughout the property. Moreover, all the accommodation’s linens and guest accessories (including beach towels, chairs & umbrellas) have now been replaced and all guest rooms are gradually being renovated.
These same long-time guests will also notice a variety of new staff members, all with a pleasant outlook, focused on providing the utmost in guest service and striving to exceed their expectations. Each staff member now empowered to “go to all lengths” to ensure our guests happiness and well being before, during and after their stay!
The Beach Plum is and will always be a very special little Inn, known for its amazing views, award-winning cuisine and romantic atmosphere… now with renewed ownership, a new management team, fresh guest oriented service staff, and the added amenities of the Menemsha Inn it only continues to get better.
I would hope these guests would “give us a second chance” and return to see first-hand all the many changes that have been made. I believe they would find that all of their concerns have been addressed and more, so much so, that I would personally like to invite them back for ENTIRELY COMPLIMENTARY STAY at a time of their choosing.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.