“Finest dining in the suburbs” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro 5 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 126 Restaurants in Medford
Cuisines: French, Italian
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: High Street
Transit: From North Station you can take the commuter rail on the Lowell Line outbound one (1) stop to West Medford. We are directly across Playstead Road from the train platform to the right of the gas station. It is approximately 11 minutes from North Station.
Winchester, Massachusetts
“Finest dining in the suburbs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This place is a gastronomic delight. We go here regularly - I do not particularly recommend restaurant week - I think you basically get what you pay for - but the special menus and especially the wine pairings are fantastic.

Visited September 2013

Summit, New Jersey
“Great food...service OK”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Visited on a recent weekend in Boston area. We sent to the restaurant given the recent food reviews and we were generally not disappointed. Our waiter was very enthusiastic about the gnocchi (very tasty) and the Salmon special (perfectly OK). Thought that the sweet & spicy chutney for the calamari made what can be a pedestrian dish - special; the tuna appetizer was also very nicely prepared. The menu offered a nice variety of offerings.

We felt that the service not on par with the food, not at attentive / professional as one might expect. Bar service was also slow, but we understand that the bar was just opening for the first time.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“It looks like a whole in the wall from the outside...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

But you step inside and it's a small, sophisticated restaurant that blends nouveau with old world charm. Atmosphere was festive. Service was good but inconsistent. Very attentive one minute but had to ask for napkins twice. Food was excellent. Portions just right. Gnocchi was perfect. Everything else very good. Tab was high. Good for one shot- don't know if we would go back.

• Visited October 2013
San Francisco, California
“nicely surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Returned to my hometown to find a first class restaurant. Small, close interior, in the process of being remodeled. Somewhat difficult to carry a conversation, probably because of the hard surfaces. Still attractive appointments.

The food and service are excellent. A well balanced menu, offering a variety of choices. I was surprised that it is called a bistro, which I thought would be French influenced. It is mostly Italian cuisine but not the common preparations that one finds in local Italian restaurants. The quality of all the dishes served to our table was superb, and I thought the prices were moderate considering this. I look forward to future visits.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lynn, Massachusetts
“Heirloom Tomato Menu & Bolognese Tagliatelle--A bit salty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is one of my favorite restaurants & we enjoy coming here for a great dining experience. The chef/owner, Vittorio, really puts a creative spin on some traditional & not so traditional Italian specialities. This time we went for the Heirloom Tomato Menu since this is when he shines. It is a good deal at $75 for 5 courses or a 3 course menu for $45. You can also add to it a 5 or 3 wine pairing at additional cost, which is a 3 oz pour that accompanies each item superbly. My boyfriend had the 5 course menu & I opted for the appetizier of Fried Green Tomatoes with a "soil" consisting of dried chopped olives in a tiny flower pot that was "spilled" on it's side & a basil lemon cream sauce. OMG: This was superb--wish they served more than the 3 slices. It was really that good. He had a soup before that & a black cavatelli appetizer that came as part of the Heirloom Tomatoe Menu. Next was his Rohan Duck w/pickled vegetables and side of tomato brulee. We asked how the duck was cooked & was told it was done confit style--not a sliced duck breast. That's fine since we like confit but since menu didn't state that we were a bit surprised. I opted for the tagliatelle Bolognese which was a fresh pasta (more like fettucine) cooked perfectly with large chunks of ground meat that had simmered in sauce. Both of us looked at each other to say each of our dishes were extremely salty. And I personally love the salt shaker so he was really surprised when I said mine was super salty. Both the sauce & the pasta were oversalted. We thought we should tell the waiter because perhaps the cooks were not aware of how much it was salted. The waiter came back to say the kitchen said that the duck was prepped in salt & that's how it was to taste. He did not say anything about my pasta. He did give my friend a mint lemon sorbet to cleanse his palate of the salt --but I don't think he remembered that I said my pasta was extremely salty. I opted for profiteroles for dessert w/a great cappacino. The profiteroles are always fresh w/vanilla icecream and a dark chocolate sauce that is divine. My friend had the peach tomatoe Napoleon which he said was really good. He enjoyed all the wine paired with the courses & my waiter was able to serve me a glass of wine that I've had in the past there but not normally offered by the glass. Very nice. Waiter was wonderful. We will definitely return to Bistro 5 because it is one of our fave restaurants. We just wish that they cut back a bit on the salt & make certain that all menu items are described on the menu as to how they are prepared. Looking forward to the final remodelling touches & bar area as well when we return.

• Visited September 2013