“Boston & the Islands” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Marlborough
Waterford, Ireland
“Boston & the Islands”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

Traveled with The Travel Department. Hotel clean comfortable. Staff excellent ( the Americans do good manners like no other country I know ). Pool, food fine. Situated in the beautiful countryside with very little nearby. We found the distance was frustrating as it would be too expensive to get taxi ($ 200) from Boston ? 40Klm from city. Bus trips provided, but if one wanted a half day or stay later , this was not a option .

• Stayed September 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Edinburgh, Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

We stayed here as part of an organised New England tour. We were very disappointed by this hotel although previous reviews had forewarned us that it might not be up to much. For somewhere to rest after a long day, the bedroom was adequate, the decor was dated but the bed was very comfortable. What really lets this hotel down is its public areas and food. The main complaint of the breakfasts was lukewarm food and be warned of the challenge of making toast! We ate in one evening in the bar/grill - ( note the main restaurant is only open for breakfasts) and what a disappointment. Lukewarm , nearly cold food was served- several of our party had the same experience. And a salad bar that was dried up and looked unappetising.This is just not on for a Best Western hotel. This is too careless. It is not rocket science surely in a hotel that size to be able to produce hot meals? To add to this the bar grill is not the nicest of decor, dirty carpet, and outside the bar area there is no communal areas to sit. What this hotel needs is a revamp - it would not cost a lot to upgrade the public areas, a few nice couches, a new carpet in the grill, some upgrading of the menu and the table decor. If Gordon Ramsay can do it for some restaurant nightmares, maybe he should have a go at this?!
To make matters worse the hotel is off the main road and so to get to the nearest restaurants involves a walk to the main road and then backtrack up to the main road shop area or a walk throught the dark undergrowth on a makeshift track to arrive at the back of the mall. (some lighting would help but the hotel would not want to make it easy for guests to find better food elsewhere. ) S if you do stay here, don't eat in the bar grill, head for the little path and take a chance on the local restaurants.
Somone told me there was no place to change if you had a swim, head back to your room wet?? We also heard of a cockroach found in one of the bedrooms by one of our party. And also note that this is a good way out of Boston.

• Stayed October 2009

Travelers are raving about these Marlborough hotels

Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

We booked 4 months in advance for 2 queen's in a room and two rooms adjoining, we were traveling wtih kids. The rooms had 2 full beds, way to small, smelled like a litter box, extremely RUDE young man at the desk, the pool was closed for renovations-in JULY!! just an overall very bad experience...not to mention flat beer and food that made my sister very sick the next day.

I would never recommend this hotel.

Cheshire, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

I stayed one night overnight as there was an awards banquet held here that I wanted to attend. I was able to book the senior rate of $85 as I was traveling with my mother. I was concerned after reading some of the reviews but I ended up having a very nice experience with this hotel.

The check in process went very smoothly. The room we were given was clean, spacious and quiet. And it was nice and warm which my mother was very pleased with.

We had free continental breakfast cards for the next morning but upgraded for $3.95 to the full breakfast. We were waited on very quickly and the food was fine. I am not a breakfast lover but I was happy with my meal.

This hotel exceeded my expectations for my one night stay after having read some of the reviews. I would book them again if I ever had the need to.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Driveway in as their was another event that caused a back up of cars in the parking lot
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Worcester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2008

Husband and I were displaced by the ice storm that hit Massachusetts. No heat or power for nearly 5 days and all of our family and friends were in the same predicament.

We called the hotel and they said, "Come on down..." We got there, they checked us in quickly and didn't blink twice when we said that we had 2 cats with us.

When we knew that we were going to be without power for more than 1 night they said we could stay as long as we needed and our room would be available to us.

1st off, the bed was SOOOOOOO comfortable. So nice to have someplace warm and comfy to sleep when forced out of your home.

Room service was efficient and food was good. Maid services were fantastic. Room was always clean.

Front desk staff were very friendlly and accomodating. Sure, you could see the stress on their faces, but they never let it interfere with their work! All of the National Grid workers in the area are staying at this hotel!!!!

We would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again if the need arises. The staff were great. The room was clean and comfortable. It's conveniently located off Route 495 and close to restaurants/shops.

Sorry to read so many negative responses because this hotel definitely saved us and many others in the area from sleepless, freezing nights!

• Liked — It had heat!!!!! :-)
  • Disliked — nothing....
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2008

This property is one with a message the message is stay away, far away from here. My corporate travel department had booked me into a suite for two nights, I only stayed for one. When I got to my first room it was cramped, stains on the carpet and had two twin beds, no suite. I called the front desk, they apologized and told me they would move me to another room, did the front desk think I wasn’t going to notice that I was being overcharged by $60???

I got to my next room and it was a suite, in a 1985 sort of sense. The sink in the bathroom was broken. The chair in the bedroom was covered in dried on stains to the point I was expecting to find chalk lines on the floor from where the victim had died. The office chair at the desk was also broken and stained. The coffee table looks like it would fall apart if you put a magazine on it, and the glass top was filthy. The bathroom had rolled up toilet paper on the floor along with dirt, I mean think visible gritty feel it on you bare feet dirt, the shower/toilet area clearly had not been cleaned and the shower curtain was stained. The wallpaper was falling off the wall in the bathroom and you could see where someone had tried to staple the wallpaper back down. There isn’t any other way to put this, the pillows, smelled, BAD, on the bed. The bathroom was filled with a hodge podge of toiletry items that appeared to have been bought from a hotel or hotels going out of business. The bottom of the conditioner bottle (even though the shampoo was shampoo and conditioner) was covered in pen ink from where it had sat where a pen had exploded and leaked all over it. The closet doors were missing off of the closet. The furniture was scratched, and worn, and one of the lamps flickered at random.

The way the room is designed no heat or AC can get into the bathroom, which remained arctic compared to the rest of my room. The twin HVAC units were noisy and didn’t have a functioning “auto” setting on either of them and they would do battle with each other. The mini fridge was located right by the “bedroom,” I put “bedroom” in quotes as there was no door between the lounge area of the suite and the bedroom, so every time it buzzed to life you could hear it giving you a less than pleasant night sleep. The curtains, straight out of 1995, which clashed painfully with the 1985, dust ruffle over the curtains, wouldn’t close fully in the “bedroom,” so a lovely stream of bright line shined upon my tired face at the crack of dawn.

In the morning for my free breakfast the staff was indifferent at best, arguing among themselves publicly at worst. I waited almost 10 minutes for a staffer that spoken English to even acknowledge me and I was told to wait, then I was told a few minutes later to sit where I wanted. As I expected after being told where I wanted the staffer completely forgot about me, I didn’t get any assistance until I found the waiter station and was ready to pour my own glass of juice. The eggs on the buffet were cold, but the bacon was quite tasty and it was a good cup of coffee. For $3.95 they’ll make you an omelet.

In just the slightest bit of defense the staff outside of the restaurant staff for breakfast was pleasant and did try to make good on my issues. Engineering did come up and fix the sink. They removed the stained up chair and replaced it with another old chair, the staff told me the chair wouldn’t match, and I had to contain my laughter considering NOTHING in the room matched to begin with. The wallpaper and carpet appear to be newer, the curtains from 1995, the rest of the components in the room from 1985, the cabinet where the TV sat looked like it was designed in 1975. The front desk staff was very nice.

If you’re planning an event here do not be fooled by the nice lobby, the nice open bar area, and expansive meeting spaces. These all appear to be nice facilities and the bartender was excellent and poured great drinks. Clearly the owners are not putting one penny into the rooms or their upkeep, and spending on the common areas to give the appearances of a better cared for property. I suspect someone planning an event here and walking through the lobby, meeting areas and common spaces would be impressed; the reality is the rooms are poorly maintained and dirty.

For $160 a night this was a horrid waste of money. Stay away, stay far, far away, or get a tetanus shot first.

• Liked — Checking out and going to a different hotel
  • Disliked — Filthy conditions
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

Stayed as part of a tour group for three nights. Due to bad weather, we ate in dining room on the first night. Terrible service, food worse. No effort in presentation, just slapped onto plate. Ate in nearby Longhorn other two nights- Highly recommend. Hotel lobby cold. Corridors overheated. No facilities for showering / changing at pool - walk through lobby required. Room decor very tired and a major overhaul required. Very disappointing.

Stayed September 2008

Been to BEST WESTERN Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center? Share your experiences!