“charged unexpected fees” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Boston - Marlborough

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Boston - Marlborough to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Boston - Marlborough
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Northborough Road East, Marlborough, MA 01752 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #8 of 9 hotels in Marlborough
Boston, Massachusetts
“charged unexpected fees”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

It was 100 degrees in Boston and lacking air conditioning, I decided to get out of dodge for a night. This was the cheapest place I could find in the Boston area that allowed pets.

The room wasn't in great shape but it was about what I expected. The bed was hard, the sheets were scratchy and the kitchen area wasn't very well cleaned. But the air conditioner did work, which was all I really cared about! If you just need a place to stay and aren't too picky, this is probably fine.Otherwise, you will be disappointed. My room was smoke-free but the hallways wreaked of stale smoke.

They're doing some kind of renovation or painting on the front of the building, so my window was completely taped shut with plastic. Little light came through. Make sure to ask for a room with an actual window!

Even given the poor room quality, I would probably have returned to this hotel again if circumstance ever required. However, at 6am in the morning, when taking my dog for a walk, I was informed that I hadn't signed the pet policy. When I went to do so, I saw I would be charged an extra $25 per night. I made my reservation over the phone so I could double check about their pet policy and wasn't informed of this fee. More importantly, I wasn't told about it when I checked in. Had I known that with this fee I would pay over $100 for an unimpressive room with dirty dishes and sandpaper towels, I would never had booked a room.

I will not return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Lee225, Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Marlborough, responded to this review, October 26, 2012

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why we work hard to provide our guests with clean, comfortable rooms at affordable rates. Guests are welcome to bring their four-legged friends, at a cost of $25 per night, not to exceed $150 for any single stay. This fee enables us to properly clean a room that hosted a pet based on how long the room was occupied. We know that after a week the cost to clean a room usually doesn't change, which is why we set the cap at $150. We regularly monitor our competitors to ensure that we have the most compelling value for our guests with pets. I do take very seriously feedback like yours on our pet fee.

Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at our hotel. Best Regards

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Indonesian first
cape cod
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I too did not see any of the problems reported by some former travelers. The room was clean, neat, and had a full size refrigerator, dishes, micro, etc and equippted for longer stays than my one-nite visit. The bathroom was clean and spacious and the bed was firm and comfortable. The room had a comfortable chair for reading/relaxing and the TV worked just fine. The hotel was conveniently located right off a major interstate hiway (495) and there were shopping centers and restaurants in the immediate area. For under $70, it was a great buy compared to other nearby chain hotels.

Room Tip: This was my first visit to this hotel and in that all of the rooms are studios, I don't have any...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Marlborough, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Homestead Boston - Marlborough. Whenever I read comments like yours, it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We were among the first in the industry to identify a need for a fully functional hotel suite, complete with range top and full refrigerator. We know that this offering is compelling because of the continued compliments we receive from guests like you.

Framingham, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Apparently the reviewers below are used to staying in top of the line accomodations, because I found this hotel to be right on par with an average hotel that typically charges more than double what this hotel charges. If you use online coupons, and also talk to the manager about negotiating a better price (pending the length of stay), I was able to get my cost per night down to $50 per night, and because I am staying 90 days, I also get all my tax refunded, which amounts to a huge sum of money (taxes are roughly 11.7% on hotels stays shorter than 90 days). The fact that they have a kitchenette, on site laundry, and FREE INTERNET (its not the fastest, but its still FREE), make this place a smoking value. You wont find any place in town that is even close to as nice, or offer as much for what you can book this place for. Trust me,. I have looked all over town trying to find the best value, without spending $3k+ per month. About the only place you can find cheaper is the Monticello (which is a total &*$% hole), and doesnt offer a kitchenette, or laundry. Overall, this place is a solid choice if your looking to get a nice place for a good value.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Marlborough, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Homestead Boston - Marlborough. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our company motto is "Excellence Every Day, Every Way," and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.

Vienna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I did not see any indication of the problems that the negative reviewers of this location have reported.

I was greeted with a warm welcome. The room was spotless. For under $70.00 per night the value for the space and accommodations was excellent. Having a great "kitchenette" with a full refrigerator - cook top - microwave - toaster - and all of the plates, utensils, and pans you need made the stay very economical. "Breakfast in bed" - and I cooked it myself and saved a ton of money by not having to go out.

The mattress was very comfortable ... the place was nice and quiet.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Marlborough, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Homestead Boston - Marlborough. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our company motto is ""Excellence Every Day, Every Way"", and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.

Northborough, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

Dirty, smelly, dingy hotel whose policies are akin to those at an inner city by-the-night boarding house. Staying here should be one of the forms of torture used by the C.I.A. No room cleaning service offered during two weeks, was told we could not have a roll of toilet paper, were treated as though we were interlopers as opposed to guests. The manager is on a crusade to irritate, insult and instigate. I've never experienced anything so bizarre for which I actually had to pay.

Room Tip: Go to the hotels on either side of this place.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I thought I was doing my company and myself a favor by saving some money when I booked an extended stay for work at this 'hotel'. I had an assignment locally, and needed something simple for a few weeks. I had never stayed at a Homestead Studio Suite before, and from the description over the phone when I made a reservation and on their site, it looked OK. Spartan, roomy, well-located and cheap.

I arrived on a Sunday, and the check-in person was actually quite friendly and efficient. He looked like the janitor, and I never saw him again. The room - and the hotel - was completely filthy. Even though it was a non-smoking room, it didn't matter. The sour, acrid stench of cigarettes permeated the place, owing to the hordes of smokers clustered outside and in the halls. The carpet looked like it had been the scene of a crime, with dirt so trampled and ingrained that the only hope would probably be to torch it.

The bathroom, and practically every surface, was filthy. Clearly, "house keeping" had been in at some point - the thread bare towels were arranged neatly, as one would expect, and two small bars of soap were arranged in a stack. They had obviously neglected to clean the place though - a greasy ring around the bath tub, pubic hair in the sink and sticky blobs on the kitchen counter and desk made me concerned. I immediately asked if they had another room, but they didn't. I went online (on their slow internet for which they charge) to source another hotel in the area, but owing to some or other series of sporting events and conferences, everything was booked out. I was trapped in the hell that is the Homestead Suites, and decided to make the most of it.

The kitchen had odds and ends, no pots, and a few dirty dishes. I had no intention of cooking in that mess, but needed something to at least have breakfast cereal and a cup of coffee. There wasn't even a roll of paper towels or dish washing liquid in the place. I fled to the nearby supermarket, bought some cleaning supplies and disposable plates and silverware, and set about cleaning as best I could. Even after doing this, I still had trepidation about walking barefoot on that petri dish of a carpet...

The bed was equally awful. Two dirty mattress boxes on some or other scuffed base, on top of which lay a cheap, hard, worn out king mattress. Covering it was a threadbare sheet, which I pealed back to discover more hair. I was horrified but covered it up. The pillows were spongy and gross, and the "bedding" was one of those thin blankets you get on an airplane. I mean, really? THIS was what qualified as a hotel? Bed bugs came to mind and I checked, but didn't find any. This didn't put my mind at ease, as this is the kind of place where filth like that would flourish. After leaving I read one of the reviews here from 2010 which did reveal bed bugs. I wonder what steps were taken to eradicate them. Cleaning wasn't one of them.

I refused to sit on the sagging couch, as it, too, looked greasy, as if countless dirty people had made themselves at home on it over time, leaving food stains and who knows what else.

The night was mercifully short, but interrupted several times by other guests bellowing at each other down the halls, slamming doors, and screaming children running up and down the hall ways. The clientele looked threatening, and I thought better of asking them to control their spawn.

The following morning, I found a hotel that would accommodate me at twice the price, but only in four days. It was worth every cent. I packed my bags and fled as soon as I could, checking out early. I was slapped with the "daily rate", but gladly paid in order to get out of here. Those were the longest 5 days I have ever spent in a hotel.

I have spent nights in a hospital in Africa and in countless dormitories. Those were more comfortable and cleaner than this cesspit.

I would love for Extended Stay Corporate people to try and stay here sometime.They'd shut it down if they had any scruples.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. Run as fast as your legs will carry you - to other hotels in the area.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

The hotel is large and was full. It was pretty quiet for being so full. I think many people live there because I saw a woman bringing her laundry downstairs.

The cleaning was very spotty - rug had leftover food on it. The caulking around the shower was black with mold (just a shot of bleach would have cleaned this up). The shower itself and shower curtain/towels were very clean. The bed was very clean and crisp. The refrigerator still had spilled jelly on the racks. Again not the best cleaning job. The furnishings were getting a little tired. All I wanted was an inexpensive, clean comfortable bed to sleep in for one night. So in that regard I was satisfied. Paid around $85 - The closest rate I found to match that was $95 and they were booked.

In fairness to this hotel, the manager said they are about to undergo a massive renovation. I'll stay here again (BUT ONLY after the renovation is complete!) It was quiet and had a great location for my business needs.

Room Tip: It is a pet friendly hotel. I don't particularly like sleeping where animals have had their sti...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Extended Stay America - Boston - Marlborough? Share your experiences!