“It was nice, very nice but not a 5” 4 of 5 stars

10% off room rate
Ranked #6 of 23 Marblehead B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cheshire, Connecticut
“It was nice, very nice but not a 5”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I know there are many "5" reviews but I just thought it was "ok". Clean, friendly and efficient staff, plenty of space to hang out whether the very small and cozy bar or comfortable living room with papers and magazines.These are all 5's!

Nice location to walk to the water or to the center of the old district. Perfect locale

My hang up is for what I thought was pricey for a Bed & Breakfast and I always focus in on the breakfast, the breakfast was just "ok". The eggs based center piece had to many items in it both days were in there to enjoy for our tastes, the fruit selection looked from a grocery store as opposed to a farmers market and the breads off the same grocery store shelves, when down the road this little deli had some great local baked breads with great flavor. I guess I wanted to be wow'ed and I was just, well , hungry. One night I smelled the wonderful aroma of a pumpkin bread but when served the next day it could not have been more bland. was it a box recipe. Same with a carrot cake which was out for hours with the cream cheese frosting - just no real flavor.

I kept eyeing the daily special but after three days of the same special stew I became suspect.

Friends recommended the place and we were not disappointed- just not feeling a 4+ or a 5.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HarborLightInn, Owner at Harbor Light Inn, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
We were dismayed to read that your experience with breakfast did not meet your expectations. Our staff works diligently to provide an array of hot dishes daily, along with varied fresh bread, muffins or coffeecakes. All of these items, other than the sliced whole grain bread, are baked in our kitchen. Also, the cake you spoke of was Emeril's Buttermilk spice Cake, which I made myself. Perhaps your disappointment stemmed from the fact that it was a spice cake rather than the carrot cake you thought it may be. This cake is a guest favorite and we did have it out for our afternoon dessert.
We are always happy to make eggs to order and do so regularly. I'm sorry we did not know that would have better suited you. Should you want to come stay again in the future, please contact us ahead of time so that we may personalize the breakfast choices for you. Our goal is to accommodate our guest needs and any special requests. Thank you for your input.
Suzanne Conway/proprietor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Platte City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Spent three lovely nights at the Harbor Light Inn from 16-18 Oct. The staff were wonderful and the ambiance was even better...comfortable rooms, wonderful morning breakfast, nice tavern for a class of wine to cap off the evening...highly recommended!

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
HarborLightInn, Manager at Harbor Light Inn, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for the complimentary review and recommending us to fellow travelers. We so enjoyed your visit at the Harbor Light Inn and hope to see you again in the future.
Englewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This hotel was recommended to me by a business associate and it didn't disappoint. I happened to stay in two different rooms over the weekend both of which were very nice, as were the breakfasts, and the general ambiance of the Inn. On Sunday, as I was heading south on Route 95 I received a call from the owner, Peter Conway, asking if I had left a black bag in the room. I had, whereupon he volunteered to drive out to meet me on the highway rather than having me drive all the way back to Marblehead to retrieve my laptop. This is the first time I have ever had an innkeeper go to such lengths on my behalf, especially since I'm sure Peter had better things to do on a Sunday morning. Thus I consider this gesture "above and beyond the call."

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
I love it when we can exceed our guests expectations! Peter was happy to accommodate you.
Thank you for sharing your experience with all who read trip advisor.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here and were very impressed with the staff, from check-in through two days of excellent, attentive, unobtrusive and graceful attention. We also were present when staff diffused a couple of minor issues with other guests, which were taken care of quickly and deftly. As very frequent business and pleasure travelers, we appreciate the difference between our experience at the Harbor Light and our typical stay. The breakfast was absolutely wonderful, and varied. The managers are very, very good at what they do, and the staff are well selected and engaged--we didn't want to leave!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful comments about our great staff! From such a seasoned traveler at the top rated hotels this is the ultimate compliment! It was our pleasure having you visit with us and thank you for taking the time to give us such a wonderful rating!
We look forward too your next visit.
Danbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Found this in quite accidently, and it was just lovely. The room that I had selected was wonderful.
Very Clean, and decorated very nicely. The town of Marblehead was small enough to walk everywhere. Shopping, restaurants, great views. It was charming. Also very near to Salem, and Boston. So you have a lot of options. The managers were extremely friendly and helpful with suggestions.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 37. Very nice, I picked this room as it had a tub as well as shower. I have to admi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
We are so glad you found us by accident and were pleasantly surprised by how nice the Inn and Marblehead is. We enjoy sharing all of the interesting places to see in town.Thank you for the great review and we look forward to seeing you on another trip to Marblehead
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

This hotel was our perfect choice in the perfect location. My husband & I stayed here for one night on our way from Cape Cod to the White Mountains. We booked it on line purely by chance. We were recommended to stay in Salem - thank goodness we didnt! Marblehead is the most beautiful place & the hotel was just perfect. It is beautiful, clean, friendly staff. The breakfast was delicous. We wish we could have stayed longer. We had lunch at The Barnacle, which was ok. We had dinner at The Landing, which was amazing. The walks are beautiful. And to come back to such a lovely hotel finished our trip off to perfection

Room Tip: Dont stay in Salem! Marblehead is far nicer & if you want to visit Salem its not too far away.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the complimentary review. We so enjoyed your visit at the Harbor Light Inn and hope to see you again in the future.
Next visit stay a couple days to really enjoy our Inn and all that Marblehead has to offer..
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my 2 night stay here but it could have been so much more.

I wanted to love this place but two big problems were both in my room. Upon entering and throughout the stay a very strong odor of cleaning/bug spray was prevalent. Also the carpet in the room looked ok but felt dirty and old. Other than that, the room was beautiful.

Very old and historical Inn which is in the beautiful town of Marblehead, Mass. I loved walking the historic district at night. You literally could feel history in the air.

A few small changes and this could easily be a fantastic experience. As it is now, good.

• Stayed October 2013
HarborLightInn, Owner at Harbor Light Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and we are glad you enjoyed the inn overall. We pride ourselves on cleanliness and are sorry to hear that the smell of a cleaner was lingering in your room. We are in the process of transitioning to natural cleaners, which should take care of the possibility of this happening in the future .

The location of the inn is really ideal for sightseeing and walking to all the restaurants and shops.
The inn itself is very historical and we are glad that people can share in that history.

We look forward to seeing you in the future .

Been to Harbor Light Inn? Share your experiences!