“How Can 5CK always Succeed?” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 51 Restaurants in Marblehead
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
swampscott
“How Can 5CK always Succeed?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We have been fans since Barry Edelman first opened this always amazing restaurant. It is near impossible to be on the game without some failures and I assume there have been some people who have not always had the near perfect experiences we encounter regularly. But maybe not. I know one of the main reasons this place succeeds is the owner/chef role as opposed to an owner who hires a chef. Food is wonderful without pretension, flavors vary wildly from dish to dish exhibiting a knowledge of spices and combinations. The menu changes seasonally with so many things house made. The chicken liver pâté appetizer and a side of sautéed mixed greens with mushrooms made for a light and delightful meal last night. But anything you order will be bite for bite pleasurable.
Whether one dines simply with an appetizer (or several) or the more traditional route of appetizer, entree and dessert dinner will be wonderful. The staff is another reason for success. Almost everyone returned after the year of rebuilding after the devastating fire a few years back. They feel 5CK is a family. That speaks so well of Barry. Decor is simple, modern, and bright. The bar is marble but with a warming element so touching it is a pleasant experience . Small detail but so nice.
Go often and enjoy but remember to make a reservation as they are deservedly crazy busy.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“Not as Good as They Think They Are”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This has been the new, hip restaurant for a while now and frankly, I think I’m done with it. There is much hype and excitement over 5 Corners, but my feeling is that it is popular because we’re starved for more good restaurants in this area. The truth is that everything is over-salted and over-seasoned. The menu isn’t very big so one would expect that what they have is done very well. I can’t help but think that they’ve lost perspective in the kitchen and are just seasoning everything to death. Honestly, I’ve had fish there twice – the salmon and the skate wing – and you can’t taste the fish under all the seasoning. The service is very good and the atmosphere is upbeat and positive. The drinks are pricey but just OK. They think they’re a lot better than they really are.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Marblehead, Massachusetts
“5 Corners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I recently met a friend and sat at the bar. It was fun and lively with generous pours of wine and great food. Usually I don't order chicken when I go out but the chicken at 5 Corners was out of this world! The owner/chef came out and spoke to us and gave us free appetizers of cow's tongue which was wonderful.
I highly recommend this great restaurant!!!

Visited April 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had received a gift certificate for 5 Corners and were happy to try it again. (We had a yummy brunch well over a year ago). One word of advice, make your reservations early. This restaurant is very popular, and well-deserved, but Friday and Saturday nights fill up quickly.

We dined on a Monday night which was quieter. Food was delicious! My duck was cooked to perfection. My husband loved his fish dish. Loved the decor and use of mirrors. (I may do a wall of various sized mirrors in my home too.)

All in all a delicious meal and wonderful dining experience.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Marblehead, Massachusetts
“To dine or not to dine.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about with this place. I think perhaps the fact that there was a fire and all of this mystique surrounding it's reopening did more to help the place than all the fancy schmancy re-do of the interior etc.

I had sat at the bar for a drink which was well made and ordered the salt cod beignets. Way too salty and very doughy inside. I ate better when I was at Foreign Affairs in Manchester before they closed to remodel.

Moved on to the escargots which in my opinion were over cooked though definitely tasty.

Finally had the steak frites and I wished I had gone to 9 Elm in Danvers. Whoever owns that place must really care because it shows in the food. I'm not saying I didn't eat a nice piece of steak but for the price I'm not sure I was getting what my credit card said I paid for. I may come back but probably only for the drinks, if I want to spend that kind of money I'd rather just go into town...

Visited November 2012