“Disappointing but will try again” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Ship Restaurant

The Ship Restaurant
24 Broadway, Route 1 South, Lynnfield, MA 01906 (Formerly Mount Vernon at the Ship)
781-584-8286
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ship Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 24 restaurants in Lynnfield
Cuisines: American, Seafood, International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Lynn, Massachusetts
“Disappointing but will try again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Saw ads of new management - thought we'd try again. Friday evening at 6 - completely empty, We were seated in a lovely room. Clean and fresh look. Very Nice. Severs were eager to please and made frequent visits to fill water glasses and be sure we were all set. The menu was promising - Italian focus and a wide range of options. Calamari appetizer - just OK - It was served with a very nice aioli. Caesar Salad was good. Freshly made pasta was delicious - the accompanying shrimp was OK. The expresso martini was yummy - and for that reason - I will try again - but only at the bar - and maybe try another appetizer.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
“Better than expected!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stopped at the latest incarnation of The Ship early Saturday evening southbound on our way to Boston. Out expectations were fairly low, given the location. We found that the menu was large and diverse, and was prepared in a much more upscale way than we anticipated. The service was excellent, and the waitress made helpful suggestions. The atmosphere was not great--clean but brightly lit and loud with many children. The prices were average.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fabulous value and good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Decided to try The Ship on the way into a hockey game in Boston. The Red Sox had just won the World Series and they were offering twin lobsters for $19.18 to honor the Sox. What a deal. Hard to find one lobster for that price much less two. Came with a garden salad. Lobster was well prepared and the body and claws came pre cracked making for easy extraction of the lobster meat. Everyone in my party enjoyed their meal. My wife's meal had an issue and it didn't come out with the rest of our meals. The manager came out apologizing profusely and said the meal had been dropped on the floor. Don't know if that was the case or if the waitress had failed to put in the order. At any rate, she immediately brought out an extra salad for my wife and the meal (baked cod) appeared shortly after. The manager continued to apologize and comped my wife's meal and salad - more that I expected but they insisted on doing it. I thought that was great customer service. Meal for four with appetizers and drinks came to $100 which is a pretty good value, especially considering one of the meals was lobster.

I also enjoyed the decor.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Thanks for bringing back the old restaurant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I stopped at the Ship a number of years ago on my way back from Maine with my mother. We were a bit hesitant at first but decided go in, anyway. We had great service, food, and atmosphere. The prices the were more than reasonable.
The place changed hands to which I will not mention here.
A friend in the area told me that it was back to its old style.
I was there for lunch and mentioned to the waitress about my previous stop. What I wanted was on the dinner menu and she spoke to the chef and he made my dinner for lunch. It was better this time than the last. And the prices were still more than reasonable with today's market.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“average place, not lamb”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We have been to this restaurant through many ownerships since the original owners over 40 years ago...and this time came with my parents. Most of the successive owners were not very good. The access was great as there is an elevator that my parents need and the staff at the desk and the person who waited on us (stormy was her name) were pleasant and helpful. The place itself was also bright with the bar opening up to the eating area making it a much better environment than the former owners had orchestrated.

We were here for lunch and ordered variations of Reuben Sandwiches and Lamb Burgers. The menu for regular meals for some reason didn't appeal to us. We also had glasses of wine that were reasonably priced.

When the meals came, the food was hot and in general adequate. As I had the lamb along with my mother, I got through half of my sandwich and looked at my mother and stated "what do you think of the lamb (as mine tasted exactly like an overdone beef). She stated" it isn't lamb".
(Now, lamb she has been eating for 70+ years...love's it and knows it). She then stated "maybe they mixed it with beef...but I still can't detect where the lamb is").

At this point in the meal, I called over stormy and mentioned that to her...she said she would mention it to the chef. I honestly don't know what her response was...but we never did see the chef on the issue...nor anyone else.

We paid the bill, gave her a good tip...and left. The lamb was a good idea from their part as it would differentiate them from all the other restaurants in the area. It was such a negative experience I doubt we would ever go back .

• Visited October 2013