“Modern, clean & dog-friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Lexington
Boston, Massachusetts
“Modern, clean & dog-friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My wife and I, our two year old son, and our 20lb dog stayed here on a few occasions. We recently sold our home, and in-between moving into our new house, we stayed here as a little mini vacation. I'll spare anyone reading this, a novel with 15+ paragraphs to sift through. Maybe only 10-12.
The main points:

Pros:
• clean and well designed rooms. These aren't the depressing, tan colored walls, carpet and floral colored polyester bedspread hotels that many of us are used to. The Duvet has a new sheet/cover put on each day, the towels are clean and abundant, and the colors/decor are stylish but welcoming. As a designer, I appreciate stepping into a room that looks like someone cares how it looks.
• Great shower - big, glass shower with great water pressure and scalding hot water (which I like)
• There is no complimentary breakfast, but there are some decent options in the lobby for drinks (energy, protein, juice, sparking water, etc.) fruit, snacks and if you want, they can make you an assortment of breakfast items. It's pricier than let's say, going to the store, getting the ingredients, and making it yourself, but you're also staying in a hotel, so, stop complaining.
• It's pet friendly. We love our dog, but we're not one of those crazy families that thinks their dog is a child, or that it should be allow into a restaurant, or that dresses their dog up in clothes, but when we move from our home, we needed a place to stay with our dog, until we could move into our new home. They allowed our dog to stay in the room, and it even came with a small dog-bed type of pillow on the floor, that was designed for dogs. The rooms were also very clean, which was something I was worried about in a dog-friendly establishment, but you never were given clues of any previous canine presence.

Cons:
• Wi-fi is a little weak and spotty - it's a hotel, so you can't expect to run your business from here, but I had trouble getting a consistent signal to the wi-fi and I have a brand new laptop so it's definitely the wireless network that has issues
• The TVs are large, but both times we stayed here, it was difficult to change the channels or figure out how to get it to work in the first place. I sound like my grandmother, ranting about technology, but it seriously seemed like the TVs had problems with their setup.
• The salt water pool - my wife and I went back for a 2nd stay, just for the pool. Salt water pools don't seem to be that popular yet on the East Coast, but I was so psyched to swim in this thing. It's wam, shallow enough that I could take my 2 year old into it, and the salt water is a nice change from the skin-burning chlorine that is in most hotel pools.
• The courtyard outside the bar can encourage loud, inebriated, late-night discussions, so if you have kids or like sleeping, don't get a room that overlooks the courtyard. The noise ended around 12:30 on a friday, but I'm sure this can happen during the week, and if I had a business meeting that next day, this would not fly with me.
• The walls are somewhat thin, and I agree with previous reviews, that the doors tend to SLAM shut so on a night with a full hotel, you'll be hearing some occasional slamming, or loud conversations.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a room overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

285 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I loved the ambience of the lobby and the friendly staff. I don't routinely stay at Starwood Properties. I was traveling for business and this was their preferred hotel. The Aloft is bit modern for my taste. Although the room was clean and attractive, I was not a fan of the platform bed. In the mornings, I noticed that the mattress shifted around the platform. I also thought the pillowtop mattress was not as plush as I would have liked. The staff was warm and friendly. I did not use any other amenities, so I can not comment on them.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Califon, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

if you have to stay in Lexington and surrounding (and I'm assuming for Business) this place is excellent. The rooms are big and clean, the stuff is super friendly and they have a great bar (and few options for breakfast). There is no public transportation so you need a car.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I slept at this location last month and found it to be exactly like the other Aloft.

The building is built the same way.

Staff is awersome with great service. They did not carry maps of Boston area.

The thing about this property it its out of busy area and they are on a property that has lots of trees and rock hill on a few sides.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Lexington. MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We lost power during Hurricane Sandy and checked into the nearby Aloft for two nights.
The modern, trendy hotel had a lovely, friendly King bed room for us, viewing the wooded surroundings. Everything worked well, was clean, modern, and useful.
The breakfast was ample and had many choices; they even could prepare egg and other dishes on demand for an extra $9.00.
The only complaint, possibly a communication failure on our part, occurred when our room was not made up until we cornered a cleaning person at 5pm.
This hotel is also reasonably priced and is on a secluded property, yet very close to Rte 95.
A place to recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This review is a bit overdue, but I needed to write this. Traveled to Boston for the first time, with family ([4] all members between 25-55). This is an amazing choice for those that appreciate modern decor for a reasonable price. You'll notice when first walking in how different Aloft is - bright colors and interesting floor layout.

We stayed in a two-bed room. It was just large enough to accommodate four adults, and it was very clean. Room carpet seemed to be just vacuumed and no functional issues (tv, shower, faucets, lamps all working). I appreciate the hotel's use of Bliss products for the bathroom, but not a huge fan of the dispensers instead of toiletry bottles. I suppose this way though you could use as much or as little of the products are you like. Also, if Aloft is going the dispenser route, may be worthwhile to have a moisturizer dispenser as well. There aren't too many floors here, about 4 I believe. Wifi is free, had no signal issues. In addition, there is a 24 hr gym on the premises as well as a small snack center. The lounge area in the late afternoon/evening is very lively with some nice music going- great recreation area that has a pool table. The staff was pretty friendly. The surrounding area itself is on the quieter side, with many historical sites. If you're looking for somewhere busy or to party, this probably isn't it. However, if you venture out by car for about 10-15 mins, there are great neighborhood restaurants. About +/- 30 mins away is Boston.

summary:

+ Cost effective and close to Boston

+ Clean rooms

+ Free wifi, 24hr gym

- Quiet immediate area (though no fault of the hotel here)

- Kiosks for concierge

Sam, NY

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hudson Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We were in the Boston area and while researching reasonaby priced pet friendly options I was pleased to come across the Aloft and Element hotels. The two hotels face each other in an almost private complex close to the highway yet screened off by many trees and rock outcroppings. Both hotels are very modern and stylish and seem to be want to cater to a younger "plugged in" clientele. In comparision to other mid range chains, the price is reasonable yet the lobby is designed like a real hotel, with a hip looking bar, several lounge areas, a pool table and a place to buy food. People were actually hanging out in these areas, both in the evening and the morning so it felt lively yet relaxed. This place is about design on a budget. If you read design magazines, you'll recognize the approach and it comes off well though the materials used are fairly cheap and probably will not last. I laughed at the use of a photo representation of books in the "shelf" above the bed but enjoyed the overall look of the room and all the ultra modern touches. Our room was small but well thought out and very clean and comfortable. Thoughtful touches, usually found in higher priced hotels were big decorative bolster pillows on the bed, two complimentary bottles of water and a small safe. Though we didn't get a chance to use it, there is a very nice swimming pool and, particularly appealing, a high style courtyard with modern furnishings and an outdoor fireplace. Across the way at Element, several parking spots were designated for hybrid cars, another nod to the general attitude of the place. The staff I encountered were friendly and helpful. I complained about a small problem we had with ordering a movie and the fee was quickly removed. When I asked if larger versions of the deliciously scented Bliss soap and cream supplied in the room could be purchased, the desk clerk gave me a whole handful. Since we travel with a dog and a lot of luggage, an easier way to get into hotel rather than just through the lobby would be helpful but we really enjoyed the place and found it to be fun and sophisticated destination. A real plus is its location near Boston, the lovely neghborhood of Lexington and the many, many historic locations nearby.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to aloft Lexington? Share your experiences!