“Overview” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Oxford, CT
“Overview”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife and I happened upon the Cranwell in the early 90's when the resort was an architects dream. We are antiquers, not golfers, but enjoy staying in luxury when we get away because my work schedule doesn't often allow me much time. We have popped in to Sloane's Tavern for a light lunch many times as we travelled through the area on our way to Vermont and have never been disappointed. We have stayed many times just us two for romantic getaways and also with our children and their friends on ski trips. Way back when I would have given the resort an incomplete because it was just that. The kids would play in an old gym on the property that I don't even know if it still exists. Now, 5 stars across the board. My only "criticism", would be that the pan seared duck breast served in the Mansion could have been cooked a little more. That is a personal preference and no knock on the talents on display in that dining room. Kudos!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Norma_Probst, Public Relations Manager at Cranwell Resort, Spa & Golf Club, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Coming from someone who has seen Cranwell evolve over the years, I can’t thank you enough for sharing your perspective. We once used the gym (now gone) for winter indoor golf, but now have a facility across the road at Meadow View. Our Chef is always open to hearing about our guest preferences, so your comments and kudos are highly appreciated. See you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Rensselaer, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I should have know from the Check Inn this was going to be BAD! There was 6 of us for Hen party. We waitied in the lobby 2.5 hours while our room was being serviced. No one asked if we needed anything or would like to use the ammenities. So we decied we would do that our selves! So they gave us a room to use to get ready for our spa treatments. As some of our girls came back from there "luxuriuos treatment center" with stories of how the people working on them talked to each other and did not pay attention to there clients. (won't use there service again). Did I mention you feel like a mouse in a glass house with all the glass corridors you have to "find" your way thru to get from point A to point B. So we get ready for Dinner,.I take a shower and there is a used razor in the corner of my shower in my newly cleaned room. Very nice driver from the Carriage House to the Mansion, the rest of dinner was down hill! It looks beautifull when you walk in! Very Victorian.The food was wrong, cooked wrong, served wrong, no ice bucket for the white wine bottle, ohh and after they pour for the person who picked the wine, they let you pour it your self. We sat at 6:30pm ,there was 2 other tables besides us. We got a slice of bread each at 7:20pm, no sign of our waitress, before that or after that, we got served dinner at 7:55pm, the steak was ok,the carmelized onions were awfull, small onions 2inchs big burnt on the outside skin, raw inside. The dessert we ordered crem brulee (my favorite) I stuck my spoon it picked it up and it dripped off my spoon, what a waste! They automatically added a $60.00 tip to our bill for an absent waitress, (who never introduced herself). Do not eat there not worth the money. Visit take pics then leave, eat Dinner in town.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere or, There are no "good views" get a corner room there slightly bigger. Howeve...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Carl P, General Manager at Cranwell Resort, Spa & Golf Club, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
I’m very sorry you found this visit to be a disappointment. Although we are not for everyone, I certainly appreciate the opportunity to address any concerns our guests have. Your experience is very much out of character for our guests but all feedback is vitally important. I'm happy to talk with you at any point, I'm sorry we were not fully aware of your concerns during your stay.
Thank you for your thoughts.
Norwalk, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at the Cranwell for a weekend in February 2013 and used the ski package. The ski package is a great deal if you plan on skiing at nearby Butternut or Jimminey Peak. The hotel was very clean and the room very comfortable. The spa is nice with a full size indoor pool and jacuzi tub, sauna and steam room. The staff here is very friendly and accomodating. We arte one night at Sloan's Tavern. Pleassant experience but food was average. The hotel is rather pricey compared to other area options but if you are looking for something more upscale, we would highly recommend the Cranwell.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Your high recommendation is much appreciated. I was just skiing at Jimminy Peak yesterday and the spring conditions are awesome. Hope you can get away for a return visit soon.
Avon, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We have stayed her twice before and just returned for a third time with our entire family and some friends. What an awful experience! From the concierge making our dinner reservations both for Saturday - leaving us high and dry (a party of 14) on Friday night. They sent us to a pizza place instead. Then the turndown service to set up the living area for my three kids - they just didn't do it. I called when we arrived at 4:00Pm and asked where the cot was, and they told me they will bring it at turn down service. When we got home from dinner at 9:30, no cot and no pull out set up. I called and they said they ran out of cots and would call us when they found one!
This place is a falling apart! Stay away......
Also, the bathroom is dirty - chipping paint and dirt on walls.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Carl P, General Manager at Cranwell Resort, Spa & Golf Club, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Very sorry to hear we missed the mark on two very important requests. It seems your previous visits were wonderful, wonderful enough to bring you back with friends, we hope you don’t stay away. Feel free to call, always looking to keep our guests happy with us here at Cranwell.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Spa getaway package was a great deal. We stayed two days during the week in February so the hotel census was low. Felt luxuriously private. Spa is fairly new with steam, sauna, whirlpool etc. Large relaxation room is quiet and fireside cozy furnished with many chaise lounges and warm blankets-great for resting after your treatments.
Resort is large and spread out over several buildings. Some connected to the spa. By far the best place to stay is in the mansion itself. We upgraded to the mansion and were much happier. Founders Cottage was nice but lacked character. The food and bar are located in the mansion so it much more fun.
Staff is relaxed yet helpful and professional. Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Rooms in the mansion are older but much more charming.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Norma_Probst, Public Relations Manager at Cranwell Resort, Spa & Golf Club, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
You discovered the secret…midweek spa getaways are special. Thanks for kudos to our team.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Cranwell Resort for two nights in October 2012 as part of our tour of New England.

There isn't anything to particularly dislike about the hotel, nor was there anything memorable about it.

The positives
The rooms are incredibly spacious with large confortable beds. Food was basic but of good quality and huge portion sizes in The Tavern.

Lenox is a lovely upmarket town, but is a car journey away and not within walking distance from the hotel.

Can highly recommend The Firefly Restaurant in Lenox.

The negatives
The bathrooms and general decor are dated.
We had a few issues with housekeeping during our stay.
The hotel is very spread out - three different buildings as part of the hotel complex which we think contributed to the 'lack of soul' to the whole place.

Should we return to Lenox then we would be inclinded to book somewhere in Lenox itself.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Carl P, General Manager at Cranwell Resort, Spa & Golf Club, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for your review, it is always great to hear from our guests and how they enjoyed their experience. You are right, the town is wonderful and Fire Fly is one of my favorites. I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to golf and spa - often some of the favorite things for our guests. I would love to make your next visit special, feel free to call.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We have stayed at Cranwell several times. The time before this, there was no whirlpool bath, and they did not deliver our room service breakfast. I complained (nicely) via email directly to their customer service rep, and they gave us for our next (this) stay an upgraded room at reduced price, corrected the website as to which townhouses have whirlpool tubs and which don't, and comped some meals. We stayed in their huge deluxe full sized townhouse, absolutely beautiful foliage views this past fall, tons of windows, the townhouse is larger than my home! Great whirlpool tub this time, great food, and the massages are the best ever, they wrap each body part in warm towels after each part is massaged; worth the drive alone! They are very professional and really want you to have a nice stay. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Deluxe town houses have full beautiful kitchen, dining area, fireplace, regular mansion rooms have s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Norma_Probst, Public Relations Manager at Cranwell Resort, Spa & Golf Club, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
I really appreciated the head’s up on the website copy. Thanks again for letting me know. Hope to see you again soon.

Been to Cranwell Resort, Spa & Golf Club? Share your experiences!