“Peaceful surroundings” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Walker House

Walker House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lenox
Walker House
Save Saved
You added Walker House to your Saves list
64 Walker Street, Lenox, MA 01240 2718   |
Ranked #23 of 24 Lenox B&B and Inns
Roanoke VA
“Peaceful surroundings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Decided to stay here after a friend suggested Walker House to me for a respite weekend getaway. Arriving via bus from NYC, ( an hour before check in time) Peggy the proprietor welcomed me in early. She showed me to my accommodations , the "Tchaikovsky" room. All the rooms are named after great composers. My room consisted of a grand brass bed w/ canopy.. A large bathroom w/ claw foot tub and the best part was the fireplace! Found Walker House to be very cozy. I would recommend this B & B and plan on visiting them again in the Spring. Thanks Peggy for your warm hospitality....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I am from New York and I had drove all the way to Massachusetts to stay at this hotel. Upon my arrival they explained to me that my room was given away and the other room they had available for me was dirty. Besides this place smelling like cat urine, they would not even refund me back my money. I had to try and scramble to find another hotel to stay at on one of the busiest weekends. Beware do not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

The inn itself is in major need of updates. I'm all about charm but this place was not charming. Instead we found it very rundown with creaky floors, an mattress that had to be 50 years old, old peeling wall paper and dated yard sale furnishings. The bathroom was one of the worst I experienced in an accommodation... It was carpeted (eww) with the smallest dingy stall shower, a toilet that barely flushed, scratchy towels and enough room for only one person. The host was Super unwelcoming. He pointed to a book when we arrived where I signed in Nd then without any words got our keys and led us to our room.... Inliterally don't think he said one word to us... Same experience leaving... No thank you for staying or anything.... Very strange.

Admittedly I wasn't surprised based on other reviews but we didn't have much choice. We booked here as it was the only place we couldbfind with two day notice that accepted dogs, was available and didn't have a two night minimum on a busy fall weekend.

Stayed October 2012
Austerlitz, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Despite the convenient location of this inn, it is a shambles. Breakfast, served ONLY at 8:30, is close to non-existent...cheapest yogurt and croissants available. When I asked if I could have these meager morsels at 8:00 instead of 8:30, I met with resistance and complaints by the owner ( "I have to get up so early every day!"). Bathroom very decrepit, with a hole in the ceiling, light out, ratty towels and bathmats....all beyond unappetizing. Ridiculous amount of money for poor service and poor accommodations.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Winter Park, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I absolutely loved this place. Perfectly located for a short walk to downtown Lenox and a short drive to Tanglewood, Walker House has the charm, history and ambiance that typifies The Berkshires. The rooms and common areas are spacious so you can have all the privacy or community you choose. The owners are knowledgable, gracious and willing to help with ideas for the area. If you're looking for cookie-cutter perfection, this is not the place for you. As for me, I will definately return.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Maybe the people who have written glowing reviews of Walker House had the only decent rooms in the place. There is a vast difference between eclectic decor and cluttered mess, between worn and downright dirty, between charming and decrepit, between basic and spartan, and between aged and ramshackle. The Walker House misses on all counts. We only saw our hostess Peggy, a few fellow guests, and several cats. Never saw Richard. Our rooms were musty, dark and decorated with a mix of (interesting) opera memorabilia and worn-out junk. The lamps were too dim to see anything at all and the wallpaper had come almost completely away from the wall. The smell of mildew was overwhelming. The bath shared by our two rooms had a dirty fiberglass shower and tub insert with a showerhead meant for a munchkin. The linens looked as though they had come from a yard sale; they were mismatched and tattered. Admittedly, there was a large and attractive veranda across the back of the house, onto which our rooms opened. However, the floor was dangerously weak at points, the furniture was literally falling apart, and the garage off the back leaned to one side and had a huge hole in the roof. A strong wind might have knocked it down by now. We are early risers, but no one even started a pot of coffee before 8:30. Breakfast, never ready before 9, was cold cereal and maybe some fruit or a few pastries. It was very disapponting, not at all like the descriptions we had read, and grossly overpriced. Location was the only positive for this place. It is within walking distance of Lenox shops and restaurants, and a short, easy and uncongested drive to the secondary parking lot at Tanglewood.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

I've been coming to Walker House for the past 12 years, and every time I step through the door, I instantly feel at home. Large fireplaces, wide porches, piles of books and friendly cats all contribute to a truly relaxing atmosphere. The rooms are spacious and decorated with antiques, in keeping with the history of the house. The inn is also walking distance to the shops and restaurants in downtown Lenox. Owners Peggy and Dick are warm, friendly hosts, and have their fingers on the pulse of the local arts scene. All in all, a great place to stay for the perfect Berkshire experience!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Walker House? Share your experiences!