“For luxury at a non-luxury reasonable rate, convenience, ambience, warm hosts, and excellent breakfasts, this is it.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn

You added Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn to your Saves list
Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn
91 Walker Street, Lenox, MA 01240   |
Offers & Announcements
The Wine is on Us!
Ranked #1 of 24 Lenox B&B and Inns
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

"It's just a pleasure to stay at stan's and susan's wonderful bed-and-breakfast, with its luxurious quarters -- at reasonable rates -- set right around the corner from the Lenox town center and only minutes from Tanglewood. You get a super, plentiful home-made breakfast - with grits on Sunday - suiperior king-size or smaller beds in the main house as well as four-poster top-notch kings in the new, spacious cottages, each of which has a refrigerator, a fireplace, a Jacuzzi, a strong shower, and excellent air conditioning. And the new in-ground pool is such a great place to relax under the sun after a vigorous game of tennis in the public courts just behind the property.But topping everything is the hospitality -- Southern hospitality at that -- offered graciously by Stand and Susan Rosen, who left Georgia and far different careers for the cultural haven of the Berkshires. Stan has some fascinating tales to tell about his adventures as a keyboard player with famous rock-and-roll bands decades ago and is always available to help a guest. Even the Rosen's dog Atticus is a welcome, friendly presence. My wife and I -- and our two kids -- our daughter, 19, and son, 22 -- always look forward to visiting Lenox and staying at Hampton Terrace. Just make sure you book early for major weekends, because we're not the only ones who love the place.

• Stayed June 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Hudson, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

My wife and I had a terrific stay at Hampton Terrace last week. It was the perfect comination for us. The main inn is historic, lovely and warm. The daily breakfast there was outstanding, and we shared great conversations each day with the other guests. For our room, we chose a king suite. This was a thoroughly modern room in a separate building a few steps behind the main inn. The room featured an incredibly comfortable king bed, a huge jacuzzi tub, a separate bathroom with shower, and even a mini-fridge. The pool looked inviting, but we didn't get a chance to use it -- so much to do.

This is an extremely well-run and friendly inn that makes life easy (and relaxing) for guests. We especially appreciated the binder of detailed information provided in our room by the innkeepers. As a result, we were able to choose great restaurants (all within easy walking distance) and local destinations without hesitation and without feeling like strangers.

I travel frequently on business. In those (all-too-rare) cases when we are able to get away for a break, it's good to have someplace that's soothing and hassle-free. Hampton Terrace was such a place for us.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
NY, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

When I left Manhattan I was stressed to the max, and could barely get myself organized to go. I drove through inclement weather to get to Lenox. What I found when I arrived at Hampton Terrace, was one of the owners, who was patiently awaiting my arrival. He was friendly, informative and accommodating. The rooms are just as pictured on the Internet, not a touch below. Sometimes places look better in photographs than in actuality. This was definitely not the case here. The bathroom was clean with a new jacuzzi tub, powered with an airstream. Total heaven!

The main house is gorgeous, with a carriage house and three cottages in the rear. A kidney bean shaped pool (cool, adds to ambiance) sits between, with inviting lounge chairs. Buffet breakfast is served daily, with fresh scrumptious french toast (three kinds!), fresh fruit, yogurt, juices, coffee, teas, cereal, eggs...
One day there were freshly baked berry muffins, my favorite. There is a large dining table, and smaller tables out in the closed in porch-type area.

There is a great old leather bar, with bar stools, if you want to pick up some wine and have a cocktail prior to going out. The living room is spacious, with an overstuffed couch and cozy chairs; a grand piano; a wooden horse... all very reminiscent of the gilded era.

When you are in your room, you have complete privacy. Very quiet. Beautiful rooms that are decorated with charm. Inviting big beds. Lots of attention to detail...down to the lovely body products in the bathrooms. Owners were very accommodating and helpful, even to difficult guests. Centrally located, but not in the middle of town. I had a car, but one can easily walk to downtown Lenox in moments. There are brochures available with many cultural events, museums, homes to look at, music to go listen to; restaurants. Both Kripalu and Canyon Ranch are close enough if you want to take a hike or go for a massage or facial.

Even though it rained intermittently during my three night stay, I felt totally relaxed and comfortable at Hampton Terrace. Never "shut in." Lots of room to spread out. Other guests were friendly but not overbearing. Nice assortment of people. The owners were terrific. I am definitely planning on going back. Nothing is a problem.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the Hampton Inn. The room was nice, the host helpful. At breakfast there were a number of choices, however the bread was average prepackaged from the grocery store and was a bit hard after being out uncovered all morning. Toaster very very slow. My primary negative comment is that I went to the Hampton Inn to be with my adult friends, we all left our children at home. We chose the Inn for location and the fact that no young children were allowed. We were dismayed to hear a crying child a number of times on our day of arrival. I have no problem with children, but if an Inn advertises itself as adults only, then I would expect that to be the case.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
HamptonT, Owner at Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, June 3, 2009
This is a positive review, but I must respond to a couple of the comments. Mainly, the issue of a crying child. We only allow children 10 and over, and this would have been our 2-year-old grandchild, who must have been visiting. She rarely cries except when being coerced into eating her peas, so I want future guests reading this to know that this is an isolated incident. Concerning breads....we put out a very comprehensive breakfast buffet each morning, which includes wheat and raisin breads and English muffins. From 8:30 until 10:30 am, I guess it could be argued that bread may become a little dry, but as it usually goes into the toaster, we have never heard this brought up before.

Finally, before our guests arrive, we send out an e-mail advising that we will do anything and everything possible to create a perfect stay....and then the day after departure, we follow up with another e-mail asking if there is anything we could improve upon. This guest did not respond to us, but instead to Trip Advisor. If they had used that opportunity to ask us about a crying child, we could have avoided this miscommunication about children at the inn.
Worcester, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

Our recent stay at the Hampton Terrace was terrific. Stan, Susan and daughter Victoria's attention to detail was appreciated by everyone in our family. They made every effort to ensure we had everything we needed during our visit and, above all else, that we were totally satisfied with our accomodations.

My family and I will always remember the Rosen family, their hospitality, the great breakfast and the genuine feeling of welcome we all experienced during our stay at the Hampton Terrace. We can't wait until the next time we can stay at the Hampton Terrace.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

Hampton Terrace is a fantastic place to stay. The room was better than imagined. There are plenty of places to eat and plenty of things to do in the area. Stan was extremely helpful and went out of his way to do anything we asked. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful. The only thing we would hope to do next time is coming when the pool is opened. Thanks Stan!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Arlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

My husband and I stayed in one of the King Suites and found it attractive, comfortable, clean and an excellent value. Innkeeper Stan was very helpful and responsive to our requests before we checked in and made sure that we had good information about restaurants and activities, in addition to little extras, like wine glasses and corkscrew waiting for us in the room. The four-poster bed was ultra-comfortable and the gas fireplace was a lovely way to silently heat the room. The jacuzzi tub was a delight. Breakfasts were in the lovely formal dining room and a simple, but satisfying spread of choices. Stan's coffee and pancakes are delicious! If you're going to stay in Lenox or surroundings, and want a B & B, I would highly recommend Hampton Terrace.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!