“Charming” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 24 Lenox B&B and Inns
Biddeford, Maine, United States
“Charming”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed at the Cornell Inn for two nights. On arrival we were upgraded to "Frances" which is a large room in the main building which was built in 1888. The room has a king size bed, large seating area with chaise and wing back chairs. A fridge, fireplace, Jacuzzi tub and back deck with small table and two chairs are provided, too. We didn't need AC, slept with windows open, not much road sound. Lots of birds in the a.m. woke us, beautiful! The Inn is charming but old and in need of some updating which the new owners seem to be tackling a little at a time. The landscaping and outdoor seating on porches, patio and around the gold fish pond are extra treats on a sunny day. The best part is the breakfast: quiche, baked French toast with apples and syrup (yummy!), pancakes, sausage, juices, toast, cereal...all excellent and a perfect way to start any day.

We have stayed at several B&Bs in New England and overseas, each one is unique in its character and style. Although I rated Cornell Inn a 3, I would give it a 3+ on the scale. As a B&B, it met our bed needs: very comfortable, soft sheets (although softer pillows are our preference), clean bathroom, thick towels; and breakfast needs: hearty and delicious.

This inn is old but charming, within walking distance to Main Street shops and restaurants and outdoor activities at the Kennedy Park. All in all, a positive experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Cornell_Innkeeper, Owner at Cornell Inn Lenox, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank-you for not only taking the time to write a review for our B&B, but also for posting such wonderful comments. We're glad your overall stay at The Cornell was enjoyable. You are correct in noting the B&B is in need of some updating. We are working on enhancing both our guests' stay and the interior/exterior of all 3 of our historic buildings. While we know we still have work to do, we are glad guests are understanding that updating historic homes takes a bit of time and a lot of hard work. We hope if you come back to the Berkshires you'll visit us again and note the many improvements we hope to accomplish.

Warm wishes,

243 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Vestal, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

After a great deal of searching for the best value for a 2 night marathon-vacation getaway, we came across this lovely Cornell Inn. We lucked out by a last minute cancellation, jumped on the chance and we did not regret the decision at all. This place IS old, but updated. You could tell that the new owners wanted to keep the charm of the period, without looking old or dated. We were greeted promptly and politely by two staff people. Our room was ready upon our slight early arrival. Everything seemed clean and fresh. The same staff helped us with their somewhat weak WiFi signal and made several dinner referrals. They have a nice cozy sitting area, bright breakfast room, and a small Pub in the main building. The owners were approachable, friendly, and genuinely interested in making our stay the best that it could be. The full breakfast exceeded our expectations completely with several gourmet dishes and fresh toppings. They made arrangements for some early light fare for those of us running the marathon and other races. They even offered someone some specially prepared gluten-free options. The grounds were lovely and well kept. I see no reason to stay anywhere else the next time we are in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms in the rear may be quieter, but there really was not that much noticeable truck traffic. Lowe...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank-you for taking the time to write a review for us. I'm glad your stay at our B&B was enjoyable for your Marathon Getaway, although the weather was so dreary the course was lovely. We're glad you enjoyed the ambience of our 3 historic homes and understand that with historic homes comes various upkeep, which we are doing our best to tackle as the new owners. We hope to see you back next year for the Berkshire Marathon, I personally can't decide if I'll run the 1/2 once again or perhaps the trail run.

Best Wishes-
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

The Inn (which is really 3 separate buildings) is a bit farther out of townt than I had thought. Had booked thru their website and you have to book a specific room. I selected a room that looked like it had a bit more space and definitely had a fridge/micro, which happened to be in one of the other buildings. When we get there to check in: first no one was around at all. Then finally a young gal comes in and checks us in and then starts to show us our room upstairs in the main bldg. I said no, our room is in the other building. She looks again and says no, you are upstairs. So we ended up upstairs in a cramped room with no fridge/micro. So I started out being pretty unhappy about that. I had not been notified that our room had been changed.
So I struggle on how to rate it. Food excellent, but I was most unhappy with the room situation.
Breakfast was wonderful. Full hot breakfast every morning. With homemade pastry, pancakes/french toast and some special each day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank-you for taking the time to review our B&B. First of all, let me say, I'm sorry your room was changed without your knowledge. During the time of your stay we had some maintenance issues with a few rooms and had to move various guests into other rooms. Regardless of that fact, you should have been notified prior to arriving, I'm sorry this did not happen. I have talked to Lance, our innkeeper,about this. While we thought we were doing the best thing for our guests by moving people to other rooms prior to their arrival,we forgot to pay attention to the details, and that simply is not acceptable. Since your review, I have ordered a name plate sign that will sit in plain view at the reception area. It will have a contact name and number for guests to call if the receptionist a/o Lance are working with other guests and they are not in the main building. This way we hope future guests will feel as if their needs are being attended to even if we are not physically present the moment they arrive. Again, we appreciate you taking the time to let us know not only your concerns, but also what you enjoyed about your stay at The Cornell Inn, as it can only help improve future guests' needs.

Thank-you
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

You have to see that place, you have to feel the atmosphere, you have to taste their breakfast! I'm not able to describe all of these.
It was prefect stay at wonderful place!
I hope we will come soon again.

• Stayed April 2013
Cornell_Innkeeper, Owner at Cornell Inn Lenox, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Marina-

Thank-you for taking the time to review The Cornell Inn. I'm glad you enjoyed your respite from the hustle and bustle of NYC, one of my favorite places in the entire world! We appreciate your business and kind words. We hope you get another chance to visit with us, eat a wonderful breakfast, and enjoy the many different adventures the Berkshires have to offer.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Decent accommodations... Great breakfast buffet. Food was pleasantly surprising!
Good location - close to shops & Lenox center. Grounds and gardening could be improved with flowers etc.
Add some greenery & flowers and dust a bit this place could be great

• Stayed April 2013
Toriili,
Thank-you for taking the time to write a review for the us, we greatly appreciate it. We're glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us while in the Berkshires. We appreciate your tips regarding the flowers and greenery. Western Mass has had a long and tough winter, and only recently has the weather been decent on a consistent basis. I'm looking forward to going up the property over Memorial Day week-end, and plan on adding many beautiful flowers and plants to the grounds. I'm sorry the common areas and your room were not as clean as you had hoped. I have spoken to the housekeeping staff about this and appreciate your attention to detail. We hope you return for another visit in the future.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My wife, daughter, 5 year old grandson and I stayed in the "Maime" suite at the Cornell for just one night. Maime was really perfect for our troupe, with 2 rooms, 2 bathrooms, a fireplace, jacuzzi tub and a Murphy bed in the sitting room, which my grandson loved. Very comfortable and spacious, with great amenities.

Breakfast was great also, with too many things to list but topped by cheese omelets and pear french toast.

Yes, the Inn needs a fresh coat of paint on the exterior and the rooms could be updated. But everything was clean & efficient, and Lance, our host, could not have been more accomodating. The value at $109 including our great breakfast for 4 is really what put the rating from Very Good to Excellent.

Room Tip: Get in touch with the Inn via email to ask about what might fit your needs. Many options to choose f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Cornell_Innkeeper, Owner at Cornell Inn Lenox, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Keith-
Thank-you for taking the time to write a review for our Inn. I'm glad your entire family enjoyed your short trip to Lenox. I know I am a bit biased, but I too love our vast and tasty breakfast selections. Thank-goodness I love to run, or I would be in BIG trouble! Since purchasing the Inn late last August, my husband, Tim, and I, and the entire staff are trying to enhance the exterior, interior, as well improving the overall enjoyment of our guests' stay. We've done a lot so far, but still have a good bit of work complete. We hope you come back again for another fabulous breakfast and notice all of our improvements as they come about.

Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My wife and I spent 2 nights at the Cornell Inn - April 10 & 11, 2013. The Inn is a somewhat weary and worn Victorian but the rooms were very clean and breakfast plentiful and freshly prepared. The staff was not unfriendly but not typical of other Inns we've stayed at both in the USA and Europe in that they did not encourage conversation or ask if we wanted information on the locale.
A good value for the money. We would consider a return visit in the off season but feel it is overpriced for high season.

Room Tip: The room named Barbara was nice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank-you for taking the time to write a review of our Inn. Since we took over the Inn in late August, both my husband, Tim, myself, and our entire staff have been trying our best to improve both the exterior and interior of the buildings that make up The Cornell Inn. We also are trying to enhance our guests' visit to the Berkshire region. I'm sorry you felt as if the staff were not engaging you and your wife enough during your stay. While I know our staff would love to "brag" about the region they call home, they also want to give guests their privacy to come and go as they please. I will talk to Lance and the rest of the staff to make certain they are visiting with the guests a bit more and double checking to see if the guests need anything to enhance their stay while in the Berkshires. Thanks again for your imput, we appreciate any and all feedback as it can only point us in the right direction for our guests' needs.

Nell McCaffery

Been to Cornell Inn Lenox? Share your experiences!