“A fabulous retreat!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 24 Lenox B&B and Inns
Manalapan, New Jersey
“A fabulous retreat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Birchwood Inn for three nights for a tranquil getaway and it was wonderful. It had been recommended by a co-worker of mine and it exceeded my expectations. A perfect location with much in the area to see and do. The Bed & Breakfast is probably the best one I stayed at. The room we stayed in was Room 1 and it was luxurious yet homey. Immaculate! The breakfast in the morning was made and served with love and care and was something we looked forward to each morning. Honestly, home-made breads, unique gourmet breakfasts, afternoon home-made cookies and tea and special little touches that made the place endearing. The staff is helpful and hard-working. We just loved staying there and cant wait to return. Best of all, they are dog-friendly so next time we won't have to kennel our Teakie.
Thank you Birchwood Inn! You're a truly special place and deserving of the legacy you worked hard to earn. Barbara & Steve Schechter

Room Tip: Call and ask for help in selecting the room as they are all different with different prices. The sta...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
La Chatelaine, Owner at Birchwood Inn, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
It was OUR pleasure to welcome the three of you to Birchwood Inn this summer! We are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I recently spent 3 nights at the Birchwood Inn and didn't want to leave. This is my vision of life in the Berkshires...comfortable accommodations, wonderful breakfasts, inviting porch where guests get to know each other, great staff who will go out of their way for you and make you feel right at home. Ellen, who runs the Inn is an amazing cook and a woman to be admired.
I highly recommend this place. Don't think twice...stay here!
BarbaraNY

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice. If you are on the top floor, it is a treck with a suitcase.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
La Chatelaine, Owner at Birchwood Inn, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay at Birchwood Inn. We have been truly blessed this summer with wonderful guests like yourself. Come back for breakfast, the porch, and the joys of the Berkshires again soon. (By the way, if one of the staff members is here when you check in or out, especially if you're on the third floor, they would be happy to help with the luggage.)
Little Neck, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I have been coming to the Berkshires since our honeymoon 48 years ago and now know we have found our " home away from home ". The Birchwood Inn is beautifully decorated, charming , comfortable and inviting. Our room was so pretty with hand painted flowers on the walls. The bathroom was huge and so clean. We spent many hours on the wonderful porch,having conversations with new friends and enjoying home baked goods. The breakfasts were delicious, sometimes sweet, sometimes savory but always amazing , the best we have ever had at any Inn. Before coming we were asked about dietary restrictions and our needs were always accommodated. I'm still dreaming about the key lime pie , the date nut bread , the fruit gazpacho, actually everything we had for breakfast and afternoon tea on the porch.
The Inn is ideally located, a short walk to town and close to Tangelwood. And when you return from the concerts or theater there are home baked cookies or other delicious cakes waiting for you in their pantry. We were able to use a refrigerator in the pantry for our picnic food.
The most wonderful part of our experience was meeting Ellen, the owner and chef as well as her staff. We were welcomed so warmly that we felt at home immediately. Ellen and her staff could not have done more to make our stay so filled with happy memories. Ellen is a remarkable women and lovingly puts her heart as well as her culinary skills into making the Inn so special. There is attention to every detail and it is done with warmth and caring and a wonderful sense of humor.
We can still smell the comforting aromas of her baking as we came down for breakfast, we can still see the beautiful flowers in the garden and feel the warmth that Ellen has created at Birchwood. We cannot wait to return.

The Inn is ideally located, a short walk to town and also near Tangelwood.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the many accolades! All of us at Birchwood love it when we can make our guests happy. Yes, you certainly have a "home" at Birchwood, and we hope to welcome you home again soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

What a nice place! I just returned from spending a long weekend in Lenox and am so happy I stayed at the Birchwood Inn. The rooms were clean, comfortable and charming. The breakfasts were outstanding – an elegant fruit starter followed by the main course (the stuffed French toast was my favorite).

Ellen and the Inn’s staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. When we were heading out to buy food for our picnic at Tanglewood, Terri (assistant innkeeper) set us up with an insulated picnic bag, on wheels, with all of the necessities (plastic plates, glasses, utensils, etc.). The night after I mentioned to Terri that the chocolate chip cookies left in the pantry for the guests the previous night had somehow disappeared before we got back to the Inn, a plate of freshly baked cookies appeared in our room. It was that kind of thoughtfulness and attention to detail that made our stay so memorable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
All of us enjoyed your visit. We loved the laughter coming from the four of you! The Peach Croissant French Toast to Die For Panini is a favorite of many guests, and I am so glad you are one of them. You helped make the weekend a fun one!
Neponsit, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We just recently returned from a week long stay at the Birchwood Inn in Lenox, Mass, My husband and I have been going to this area for over 34 years and have stayed at many places in the Lenox/Stockbridge area but always felt that we had not found the right place until the Birchwood Inn. Here we found comfort, warmth, attention to detail, and great care. The Inn is lovingly run by Ellen Gutman Chenaux. You feel as if you are a special guest in a gracious home. The breakfasts are a gourmet delight! Ellen is a superb chef ! She was also extremely responsive to my specific dietary needs during my stay. Waking up in the morning you are surrounded by smells of wonderful baked delicacies. These smells permeate through afternoon tea and night-time special snacks left for you in the butlers pantry. We met lovely people during our stay who also feltd the same as we did, having found the Inn and have made many retrun trips.. This is a wonderful place where both my husband and I intend to return. I also intend to return as a solo traveler when I need a bit of R&R on my own.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
I am ecstatic that you have found your "home" at Birchwood Inn, especially since after this first visit, you already feel like "Birchwood family." We enjoyed hosting your visit and look forward to seeing you on your solo visit in October.
NY NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The inn is beautiful but the innkeeper is anything but lovely. We've stayed more than once (color us masochists) and Ellen's lack of hospitality and at times open hostility has the makings of a Mel Brooks movie. From the moment we arrived we were told how much work she has to do and made sure that we knew she had to go out & buy skim milk just for us! The inn is marketed as a gourmet foodie destination. I was served a bowl of oatmeal (without fruit, brown sugar, steamed milk) Dickens style, and diet yogurts w/ artificial ingredients (versus the ubiquitous and tasty Greek yogurt.) However it's not just the food that is lacking.
The inn keeper projects an air of being put out over everything. There are notes around the inn asking people not to move items. The kitchen is open for guests to help themselves to beverages. The afternoon I made myself a cup of tea, Ellen picked up the box I had chosen and remarked that she might not have enough for breakfast now. Thinking something and saying something are not the same thing. She has no interest in her guests but in accolades they may provide. We were told at least three times during each breakfast how hard everything was for her as she waited for us to compliment her efforts.
It is a beautiful old inn with a porch to die for, but paying close to $400 a night for hostility is getting old.

Room Tip: There are so many choices in Lenox that are bound to be more welcoming than The Birchwood
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
La Chatelaine, Owner at Birchwood Inn, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
I believe we have a series of miscommunications and misunderstandings. You booked your room on line, but when you arrived, you preferred a different room. It was no problem for us to move you to the room you wanted rather than the room you booked.

Due to unusual circumstances, while you were here, I was on my preparing and serving breakfast to 18 people. I mentioned this to you in hopes that as a returning guest you would understand and have a modicum of patience.

I appreciated you letting us know of your dietary restrictions and preferences prior to your stay. I certainly was not looking for accolades. It was my understanding that you opted for egg white omelets and oatmeal instead of the gourmet offering.

The first morning, I gladly prepared an egg white omelet for you, as you requested, while the other guests enjoyed Mediterranean Quiche. The following day I was more than happy to prepare Irish oatmeal for you, once again as you requested, instead of the New Jersey Cheese Blintzes with Wild Blueberry Sauce. It was, I admit, my oversight – not hostility – for not asking you what you would like with your oatmeal as I usually do. If you had asked, I would have been happy to offer brown sugar, honey, berries, milk.

Thank you for the suggestion of Greek yogurt. We did try this earlier in the summer, and it did not prove popular with the majority of our guests.

I sincerely regret these “misses.”
United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We arrived in Lenox after a 4 hour drive from New Hampshire and the final stop on our two week stay in the USA. I was at the ‘it’s time for my own bed' point you get to on a long trip. The Birchwood Inn was just the place to stay to overcome that feeling.
We had a lovely large first floor room with a window seat, sofa, huge walk in closet, comfortable bed and a good bathroom.
Breakfast was great and I was provided with a separate cheese free option. Ellen and her team make you feel welcome and want to make your stay as comfortable as they can.
The porch was a lovely place to sit in the afternoon, chatting or reading a book. The lemonade/iced tea and cakes were just the thing after a day’s sightseeing.
We hope to return to Birchwood Inn and The Berkshires in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We were all delighted that we made the end of journey a special one! We hope the road leads you back to the Berkshires and Birchwood Inn.

Been to Birchwood Inn? Share your experiences!