“Not what I had expected” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Apple Tree Inn

Apple Tree Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lenox
Apple Tree Inn
10 Richmond Mountain Road, Lenox, MA 01240   |
Ranked #16 of 24 Lenox B&B and Inns
Croydon, United Kingdom
“Not what I had expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

We visited this Inn as part of our vacation in New England. We'd read the Trip Advisor reviews and had some expectations.

We were allocated a room in the adjacent block and it did certainly smell very musty when we entered the block. Our room was OK once we had opened the windows to allow in the fresh air. The room was very chintzy, but comfortable nontheless.

We were disappointed that the restaurant had been closed as the season was over, and the person we asked for some help in chosing a restaurant wasnt exactly helpful. Note that this place is way out of Lennox so you will need a car to get to the village centre.

Breakfast on the first day was all self service and pleasant enough. On the second day it was pouring with rain, and if it hadnt been for our own umbrella we would have got soaked getting to the main house. Why dont hotels like this have umbrellas for guests to use? Not much to ask!

Overall we were disappointed with this Inn, it looks good in pictures and if you are visiting Tanglewood you can walk. However, I wouldnt bother if I were you.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Merrick, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

Just spent one night at the Apple Tree Inn, not in the mainhouse but in one of the rooms in back. I must say that the other reviews mentioned the room smelling of mold I have to agree. The room itself was very nice except for the odor. If it was not for this I would say that it was not too bad. The Inn itself is on acres which are very beautiful. I would think in the summer it is gorgeous. The pool is overlooking the mountains and there are benches everywhere so you can sit and think in peace. It is in walking distance to Tanglewood which would be a total plus in the summertime. We did have breakfast in the mainhouse and I have to say that it was nice. I did not find anyone rude at all, I found everyone to be very courteous and respectful. I would definitely stay again if I could this time in the mainhouse itself. We were disappointed also that the restaurant does not have dinner so you have to leave the premises by car to go out to eat which I found to be a little annoying. I usually like to stay in a place that has a bar and a restaurant and this did not have either.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

The management was extremely rude and disrespectful to many family members - especially the children. When confronted on the issue the management did not seem to care! Beautiful place but very uncomfortable atmosphere. There are other beautiful and more friendly places in the Berkshires - suggest you stay at one of those places intead of the Apple Tree Inn.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Although I have never stayed at this Inn, I know that I will never do so. I was looking forward to an anniversary stay with my husband on a Thursday evening into Friday. Since there were no rooms available for Friday or the weekend, we agreed to stay just the one night, of our anniversary. Unfortunately, the Tuesday night prior to our anticipated stay, I received a call notifying me of the unexpected death of my aunt. Arrangements were for the wake on Thursday and the funeral Friday morning on Long Island. So, needless to say, going to the Berkshires for Thursday night was no longer an option. When my husband called to notify the Inn of our situation, the response was a cold notification that their policy is NO REFUNDS NO MATTER WHAT!! Although I did not necessarily expect a refund, I would have expected at least an expression of condolences, and even an offer for another night, even if it happened to be in the heart of the low season, when business is normally slow. Such a lack of compassion does not fit my description of what I would expect in a Bed & Breakfast owner. So, for me, the Apple Tree Inn is no longer an option. I think I would have to agree with the other traveler who wrote in her review that "the very unfriendly and seemingly unhappy innkeeper couldn't care less about his guests".

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

The beautiful view is diminished when you enter your room in the "Lodge" by the mold that you can smell when you walk in the door. It only gets worse from there. Staff unhelpful and owners uncaring and full of excuses.

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Topsfiled, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

Waited too long to write this well-deserved review. We have stayed at Apple Tree twice over the last few years and enjoyed a wonderful stay on each occasion. The inn is located right across the street from Tanglewood where we saw James Taylor perform each time we visited. On our first trip, we booked late and the only room available was in their satelite building (not the main house). While it provides more of a motel feel, the room was perfectly comfortable and next to the well-kept and refreshing outdoor pool that is perched allowing a view of the countryside. It is only a short walk over to the main house where breakfast is served. Surprised by negative Trip Advisor comments about the main house, we found it to be exactly what we expected. We booked well in advance for our second trip and JT concert. It is an aging and charmingly spacious old home. The room we had on the 3rd floor was clean and cute with a private bathroom. Awkward roof angles and narrow stairs only added to the experience in this terrific old farm-house gone "inn." We found the staff to be extremely pleasant and accomodating. After fun in downtown Lenox, we arrived back late one evening with friends and inquired about anything available from the kitchen. No way to promise similar success for other visitors, but the woman on duty found us a couple of delicious home-made chocolate mousse deserts and served them up for us on the deck that looks out over the sprawling lawn from the screened in porch. The Apple Tree Inn is a marvelous gem. Located in the western Massachusetts Berkshire Mountain region, there are a variety of restaurant choices in downtown Lenox. Convenience for enjoyment of the magnificent Tanglewood performing arts complex is second to none, since it is litterally a short walk across the street! Book at Apple Tree expecting a delightful B&B experience. Not 5-star over-priced Nantucket-style accomodations, but countryside charm and service with a smile.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2008

For 5 years I have been holding a scrapbooking retreat weekend at Apple Tree Inn. Attendance has grown over the years from 40 to 60+, and demand has been so high I've added a second weekend - all due to the incredible warmth and hospitality we experience each and every year at the Apple Tree Inn.

The accommodations are beautiful and comfortable, the common rooms are spacious yet cozy, the food is consistently delicous and abundant, and everyone who works there is committed to providing the best experience for each and every guest in attendance.

From an event organizer's perspective, I know my group is in good hands with Sharon, Joel, and the staff at Apple Tree. All our needs are met or exceeded, and they make all my guests feel welcome and appreciated, which is why we keep coming back year after year.

• Stayed October 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Apple Tree Inn? Share your experiences!