“An absolutely wonderful experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 60 restaurants in Lenox
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Since 2006 our Dining Room has the esteemed privilege of being a AAA Five Diamond restaurant. The Main Dining Room: The internationally renowned Dining Room offers a striking contemporary interpretation of classic French cuisine, an award winning wine list and the highest level of service. The Library: Our sophisticated lounge bar where we serve lunch and dinner seven days a week. The menu is a lighter fare than our dining room.
New York
“An absolutely wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

We ate at the restaurant yesterday Valentine's day and it was just perfect. Starting with the ambiance: We pulled up to the inn, it was lightly snowing, and the front entrance was all aglow with lights. We entered inside and were immediately met by the staff who took our coats and led us to the smartly appointed dining room, amply lit by oil lamp and tables strewn with rose pedals. The service: throughout the evening never lost a beat, and anticipated our every needs. The food: was incredible (the best portion and taste of fois gras I've ever had) and a generous selection of fine half bottles of wine to choose from. Unfortunately the 3 hours we leisured over our dinner came to an end and we had to leave its' confines, braving the 1 1/2 hour trip back home in the snow, but promising each other we will go back.

90% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“Perfectly fine food but wayyy overpriced.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

I will type so there are 50 characters here but the title says it all. ;)

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
NY
“WOW....... what a experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

Friends recommended Wheatleigh to us as we were going to Tanglewood.
We had dinner in the Dining Room and we have to say it was one of the best experiences we ever had. The Glass room we had dinner in was stunning. Service was almost perfect with one or 2 little flaws but the food was amazing. Easy comparable to the best places in NY.
We had the 4 course pre fix and have to say each dish was outstanding. The attention to details... wow.
The price of $125 per person is not for everyday dining, but it was inclusive of gratuities.
A very nice feeling that you do not have to tip.
We will return for certain and can recommend it to anybody.
Surprisingly we did not here from this restaurant before.

New jerseiy
“This was great but doesn't happen too often”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

We pulled up, and it was like going over to a friend's house, except it happened to be this amazing villa. We were the only customers this past Thursday, and three staff greeted us outside. Wisked in, and lavished over for our entire delicious meal in the Library. The staff even showed us around, showed us a room, and generally made the evening delightful.

Wellesley, Massachusetts
“If only the food had been good.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

We had dinner in the dining room, the colonnade portion. One of the most beautiful visual dining experiences we have had. The room is just wonderful and you must be there before sundown to have a truly amazing experience. The service was truly extraordinary with the precision of a fine Swiss watch. Pure perfection. While the prix fixe menu may appear expensive, service is included. So for a fine restaurant, given the selections on the menu, it is not unreasonably priced.

But as for the food, that was another story. My wife ordered from the four course regular menu @ $125, while I ordered the chef's six course tasting menu @ $165. My wife enjoyed both of her appetizers, although the heirloom tomato could have had more than ordinary taste.

But the Muscovy Duck was just down right boring. The breast was simple without any imagination in a counterpoint to the rich duck. The taste of the duck itself was without distinction. Her desert of rosemary ice cream was wonderful.

When I ordered the Chef's tasting I was assured of a true eating experience with adequate portions. Well it was a true tasting experience, I experienced boredom and palate fatigue. The dominant feature of the tasting was a light foamy white sauce. I one point I could not even figure out what was being served. The portions were small indeed not allowing me more than a couple of tastes to name that ingredient. While ingredients changed, the dominant taste remained the same. Boredom quickly set in. The two exceptions to white were the foie gras and the lamb, but neither was what one would call exceptional. I found salt to be a bit too heavy, and affected the enjoyment of the wine. However, the desert was wonderful.

As for the wine list, it is excellent and relatively expensive and there is a pomposity about it. There are bottles listed that are said to be still aging. What do they want me to do, beg that they sell them to me at any price? Either offer them with a price or don't tell me. Is it to create a sense of if I return in a year, they'll sell them to me then?

All in all a beautiful dining room and excellent service, both of which far surpassed the food. My wife and I are glad we went, but plan not to return.