“WOW....... what a experience.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 59 Restaurants in Lenox
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Wheatleigh's Dining Room awarded Forbes 5 Star and AAA 5 Diamond is one of the best restaurants on the East Coast. The Cuisine of Jeffrey Thompson is focusing on the freshness of ingredients and their natural flavors. An amazing wine list with over 850 references will complement your dinner. To focus on an amazing meal all our prices are inclusive of service. Taxes will apply.
“WOW....... what a experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

Friends recommended Wheatleigh to us as we were going to Tanglewood.
We had dinner in the Dining Room and we have to say it was one of the best experiences we ever had. The Glass room we had dinner in was stunning. Service was almost perfect with one or 2 little flaws but the food was amazing. Easy comparable to the best places in NY.
We had the 4 course pre fix and have to say each dish was outstanding. The attention to details... wow.
The price of $125 per person is not for everyday dining, but it was inclusive of gratuities.
A very nice feeling that you do not have to tip.
We will return for certain and can recommend it to anybody.
Surprisingly we did not here from this restaurant before.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
1 Thank hungrytraveller99

New jerseiy
“This was great but doesn't happen too often”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

We pulled up, and it was like going over to a friend's house, except it happened to be this amazing villa. We were the only customers this past Thursday, and three staff greeted us outside. Wisked in, and lavished over for our entire delicious meal in the Library. The staff even showed us around, showed us a room, and generally made the evening delightful.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
2 Thank WinnieNewjerseiy
Wellesley, Massachusetts
“If only the food had been good.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

We had dinner in the dining room, the colonnade portion. One of the most beautiful visual dining experiences we have had. The room is just wonderful and you must be there before sundown to have a truly amazing experience. The service was truly extraordinary with the precision of a fine Swiss watch. Pure perfection. While the prix fixe menu may appear expensive, service is included. So for a fine restaurant, given the selections on the menu, it is not unreasonably priced.

But as for the food, that was another story. My wife ordered from the four course regular menu @ $125, while I ordered the chef's six course tasting menu @ $165. My wife enjoyed both of her appetizers, although the heirloom tomato could have had more than ordinary taste.

But the Muscovy Duck was just down right boring. The breast was simple without any imagination in a counterpoint to the rich duck. The taste of the duck itself was without distinction. Her desert of rosemary ice cream was wonderful.

When I ordered the Chef's tasting I was assured of a true eating experience with adequate portions. Well it was a true tasting experience, I experienced boredom and palate fatigue. The dominant feature of the tasting was a light foamy white sauce. I one point I could not even figure out what was being served. The portions were small indeed not allowing me more than a couple of tastes to name that ingredient. While ingredients changed, the dominant taste remained the same. Boredom quickly set in. The two exceptions to white were the foie gras and the lamb, but neither was what one would call exceptional. I found salt to be a bit too heavy, and affected the enjoyment of the wine. However, the desert was wonderful.

As for the wine list, it is excellent and relatively expensive and there is a pomposity about it. There are bottles listed that are said to be still aging. What do they want me to do, beg that they sell them to me at any price? Either offer them with a price or don't tell me. Is it to create a sense of if I return in a year, they'll sell them to me then?

All in all a beautiful dining room and excellent service, both of which far surpassed the food. My wife and I are glad we went, but plan not to return.

4 Thank Ryewit
New York City
“Can't Live Up to Its Pretensions”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

Dinner at Wheatleigh the other night was extremely disappointing. First of all, when we got there the table wasn't ready, so the hostess suggested we sit in the lobby and have a drink. Would have been lovely had anyone actually taken a drink order. Ten minutes later we were seated and ordered drinks at the table. Asked for a slice of orange with mine, which didn't come, had to ask again. OK, no big deal. Except that I asked for salt with my meal, and that NEVER came. None of which would have mattered had the food been better. Unfortunately, it was mediocre at best, my entree less so. And it's a real throw back to the nouvelle cuisine restaurants of the '80s that put a morsel on your plate and expected gratitude because it was "gourmet" food. Come on, even the five-star restaurants in Manhattan have gotten over that. If you want a spectacular meal in the Berkshires, go to Blantyre, where the food is superb and treat you like royalty. At either place you'll pay an arm and a leg, but at the latter, you won't feel ripped off.

5 Thank Razmo
New England
“Perfect Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2007

The restaurant is located in a very elegant Hotel that looks like a Mediterranean mansion. You can choose to dine in the Library or the more formal Dinning Room. We chose the Dining Room and were seated in the front of the fireplace. The atmosphere was very romantic, soft lighting and candles. We called ahead because we have dietary restrictions and they were very accommodating. Food was prepared exactly the way we ordered. Service was excellent. This restaurant has earned a AAA five diamond award. It is very pricey, but for a special occasion, it is worth it.

3 Thank a1worldtraveler