“If you like "clean" look elsewhere” 2 of 5 stars

Special Price
Multiple Night Discount
Ranked #18 of 24 Lenox B&B and Inns
Weare, New Hampshire
“If you like "clean" look elsewhere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We spent one night at this B&B,while going to Tanglewood, which is within walking distance.
There was a whole wall of spider webs and dead spiders behind the bathroom door.
The place needs a good, thorough cleaning and scrubbing.. Very musty ordor on the first floor.
There are a couple of positives, including a nice heated lap pool in the back yard, and a
made-to-order breakfast. But frankly, we couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Chesapeake Inn of Lenox, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
First of all, I regret that these guests did not have the best possible experience. As we say, we are only satisfied when guests are happy and want to return. Clearly something went wrong in this situation. Exactly what, I am still not sure.

When I first saw this review I was dumbfounded, as these guests never mentioned either of these problems while here. Certainly the spider issue could have been resolved in a couple of minutes. I then thought it best to wait 24 hours before doing anything, to avoid acting rashly.

Then I emailed the guest and asked that he call me at his convenience to discuss. This was done at 0749 on July 9. He read the email at 6:37 (as reported by readnotify.com) the same evening. He still (8:09pm on July 10) has not called or emailed.

I was raised to have the courtesy to first discuss with someone the issue when there is a problem. That is why I hoped the guest would call. But lacking that communication, I have to respond to the general public.

I do not deny that spiders (typical long-legs) sometimes make there way into the house. It is the country, and they can appear in only a couple of hours. It is virtually impossible to keep them away all the time.

But to say that the there was a WHOLE wall of spider webs and dead spiders behind the bathroom door is a wee bit of an exaggeration. Guests occupied the same room the day before and the day after without observing this. And again, I certainly would have removed anything undesirable if I had only been told of the situation.

Allow me to describe our typical housekeeping ritual:

When a guest departs, we check the bed linens for soiling even before stripping the bed. This facilitates the inspection. If detergent and stain removers will not remedy a soiled spot, that linen is removed from service.

While the bedding and other linens are being laundered the room is cleaned. This includes:
dry mopping the floor and wet mopping as needed
dusting pictures frames, the tops of doorframes, lamps and lampshades
cleaning flat surfaces on bureau's and nightstands
washing the basin and toilet with a disinfectant
drying the shower enclosure and removing any soap scum
replenishing consumables as bath soap, hand soap, toilet paper, tissues, paper cups
washing the bathroom floor with a disinfectant
remake the bed
attend the cut flowers as required
check for the room key and the next day's menus
make the bed
vacuum the floor

While there are a lot of specific tasks, the process is not complicated. But it is critical to maintain everything in the best possible condition. Getting behind it to be avoided at whatever cost.

I am totally perplexed by the reference to a "musty odor". Neither I, nor any of our other guests, could detect this. Perhaps it was from the soil of our numerous plants?

In general the normal comment about the inn's cleanliness is: How do you manage to keep it so clean? It is work, but our guests deserve no less.

By the way, this guest did favorably mention the breakfast. We shop every morning (usually at about 5:30 - 6:00) for each day according to what each guest wants.

Whenever guests are present I make myself available 24/7 to attend to any issues. There is even a telephone number posted so I can be reached if I'm not in the immediate vicinity, such as vacuuming the pool. I don't pretend that everything is perfect 100% of the time. But I do maintain that if a problem is known, it will be resolved.

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Scituate, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Immediately upon stepping through the door, the smell of must and mildew engulfed us. A board walk leading to the main door is in such disrepair that I actually tripped on it, and branches and tree limbs overhang the walkway . . .one has to duck and dodge to get to the door. The furnishings were of poor quality and linens and curtains, extremely dated. It is not the type of Inn where one sits around in the common areas reading or socializing, the musty odor prevents one from wanting to be in the house at all. We sat outside by the pool (we didn't go in the pool) on a cloudy day until it began to rain, just to avoid going indoors. John, the Innkeeper, was very pleasant and helpful. Cancellation policy is 2 months--even when the Governor issues a State of Emergency due to a hurricane. Location to Tanglewood is good, but the price is exorbitant, particularly given the condition of the facility.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We stayed here for a James Taylor show at Tanglewood. It's ~1/4 mile to the gate. The Inn is nice, the innkeeper (John) is awesome, goes out of his way to make your stay pleasant. Brekafast served to order when you want it. A great expereince overall. Has a pool but we didn't try it out

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Chesapeake Inn of Lenox? Share your experiences!