“First Time In....” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
“First Time In....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Fun, interesting, truly great food - and i am not easy to please! We arrived late-ish on a Tuesday night in March which seemed like a time when there would be nothing available...could NOT have been more wrong. There were several places open eclectic downtown Lenox, but Nudel was suggested to us. WOW! The ambiance was fun and very cozy. The mood was up and the food was distinctive and creative, yet totally yummy....not always doable! We will most certainly return!

Visited March 2013

Brookline, Massachusetts
“I will rave about this meal for years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

All that you really need to know is that Nudel is incredible and you should go there ASAP.

But here are a few more details.
Nudel has a casual atmosphere that makes you feel relaxed, yet at the same time the clean design and general ambiance makes it perfect for a special night. We sat at the counter which looks directly into the kitchen. The chef talked to us every once in a while, offered to answer questions, and checked in on how our meal was. It was fascinating to watch them prepare the meals and balance so many different tasks at once.
A lot of reviewers have complained about the wait time but we did not have any difficulty. We were there in the "off season" (late March) and walked right in at about 7:45pm on a Friday. It quickly filled up, however, and a party of 6 arrived at 8-ish and had to wait about 15-20 minutes for a table.
For dinner I had a butternut squash mac n cheese topped with crispy brussel sprouts and a touch of smoked maple syrup. My boyfriend had an apple salad (fresh cut apples, apricots, hazelnuts, walnuts, sage and maple syrup) and jalapeno popper tacos (with black bean chili, avocado, almond romesco sauce, and pickled jalapenos). Everything was beyond amazing. The flavors perfectly complimented each other and each dish was unique. By the end I was completely stuffed, but I refused to let even one bite go to waste. It was that good.
Other reviewers have mentioned that the chef is unwilling to compromise or make special requests. It states this on their menu and website, so customers know in advance. While I was there, I overheard several special requests and the chef accommodated all but one that would have required him to make something not even on the menu. As there were only two of them in the kitchen, and they were constantly busy, it really not be possible to make something entirely new. The menu is posted online every day and it can be reviewed in advance to decide if that night is right for you. Since the menu changes a little bit every day, you can always try again.

Nudel was so amazing I had to resist the urge to go back a the following night, a decision I deeply regret. Nudel is fantastic and an absolute must.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lenox, Massachusetts
“Imaginative great food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Nudel has an eclectic, changing menu that always offers interesting preparations of fresh ingredients that you won't find most other places.

On our last visit we had Rabbit Spaetzle, chicken liver pate with an apple/berry compote, beef tongue over greens, and trout. Not your average fair, and all were superb. The spaetzle had a rich sauce laden with shredded rabbit. The chicken liver pate app was large and rich enough to share. The tongue was delicate and flavorful and the trout was done to perfection, including the crisp skin.

Prices are very fair considering the overall quality of preparation. Apps are ~$10, pasta dishes $20, and entre's $25

Service is always great...so why not 5 stars? I feel the pasta dishes don't measure up to their other dishes. They are often too heavily sauced and/or slightly overcooked (it is almost always fresh pasta, so we are not expecting true al dente).

The menu is so varied it is dead easy to stay away from the pasta, so you should expect a 5 star experience. Also, everything else is so good here, that I believe some of my pasta dissatisfaction has to be my own taste, and you may very well love it. In any case, 4 or 5 star, whenever we go to Nudels we have a great experience and I highly recommend it.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Connecticut
“Great, playful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Nudel is terrific - energetic, playful food that is a joy to eat. The chef deconstructs and reconstructs, creating familiar dishes with surprises and twists. But the cuisine is never quirky at the expense of being delicious and even comforting. On our most recent visit, we enjoyed a great small plate, Chicken and Egg, which was an outstanding and clever culinary pun on the riddle - and which made the most of the many textures and flavors that chicken and eggs can provide. And dessert was unforgettable: a combination of housemade cracker jack, cubes of ganache, salted caramel marshmallows, ice cream, whipped cream, almost like a Picasso take on an ice cream sundae. The wines and beers are also exciting, and affordable. Can't imagine a trip to Lenox without a long, delicious meal at Nudel.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Nashua, New Hampshire, United States
“Eclectic and well thought out food choices with a nice atmosphere and very good service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

The menu choices at Nudel are quite unique and not obvious combinations that work out well. The chef does an excellent job of putting it all together to create tasty choices. We started with a chicken liver pate with peanuts that was absolutely amazing. The bread that was paired with the pate was also excellent. For an entrée I chose a salami, eggplant ravioli and my wife choose the tuna. Unfortunately my wife felt the tuna was bland. We ended up switching entrees as I thought the tuna was good. We then each decided on a dessert and both choices were quite delicious.

There is a good, albeit small, selection of wines and beers available. There is no liquor servedand no dessert wines or cordials.

The venue is relatively small do you may have to wait. They don't accept reservations but will call you when a table is available which is a nice perk and allows you to walk around while you wait.

The service was quite good and all of the waitresses were very accommodating. As for the prices I thought they were reasonable given the food quality.

• 4 of 5 stars Food