“restorative retreat in the Berkshires” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lenox
Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health
You added Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health to your Saves list
57 Interlaken Rd, Lenox, MA 01262   |
New York City, New York
“restorative retreat in the Berkshires”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I spent two nights at Kripalu and did the R&R retreat. it was fantastic and i haven't felt this relaxed in a long time. it's a great way to eat healthy, detox, work out frequently and destress. the deep tissue massage with Tracey was one of the best i've had and she was able to pinpoint why i've been so knotted in recent years. i was very impressed with the quality of the food....hard to believe it was so healthy. the yoga classes were great. i had never done kripalu before and really enjoyed how thorough they were. the vigorous vinyasa with Randall Williams was exceptional. the rooms were pretty basic and sterile but i lucked out and didn't have a roommate. i will definitely be coming back again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Hudson Valley, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

A friend and I left behind the husbands, kids and stress to go on a three night yoga Retreat & Renewal. We took advantage of one of their value-priced weeks which are discounted. We also were able to get their promotion of stay two nights and get the third night free. We stayed in a basic shared room with hall bathroom. Everything was clean and the room was fine except for a broken window shade. It was a full moon and we couldn't adjust the shade to keep it dark but otherwise it was fine and a great location because it was easy to get to the dining hall, yoga studios and workshop rooms - all on the same floor a short walk away! LOVED it. Bathrooms/showers were clean. There is no bar in the shower and no shelf of any kind to hold soap or shampoo or anything. But overall - it was the BEST. I took several yoga classes which were excellent - gentle, moderate and restorative styles plus I tried yoga nidra or deep relaxation. I took several workshops - all yoga classes and workshops were included. The workshops were interesting and fun. I had a deep tissue massage in the Healing Arts center and that was customized to my needs and totally rearranged my tight shoulders and improved my alignment. The food (all meals included) was healthy and varied and delicious. I did the noon dancing or Journey Dance and that was so fun and aerobically terrific too. I attended nighttime events like the kirtan concert which was also fabulous. My friend and I walked around the grounds down by the lake and also we walked the outdoor labyrinth while some guests were drumming. There is also a whirlpool which was really relaxing and I tried the icy dunking pool right afterward for a unique experience! I highly recommend Kripalu for a relaxing retreat. This was my second time going there - the first time was Dec. 1993 - but I will now make it an annual thing.

Room Tip: The second floor in the Shadowbrook building is excellent because it's on the same floor as the...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
bronx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Every experience at Kripalu during the last ten years that I've been going has been uniquely incredible in its own way -- and never more that the latest visit with my husband, Rich. These 3 days of Retreat and Renewal. were especially rewarding and enlightening for us.

The Kripalu message of self-care--and living in the present and expressing gratitude--was immeasurably helpful as we came home to frantic messages from friends and family as well as health issues -- so that our yoga practice that we brought home, as well as moving experiences and new knowledge, all have helped to give us the strength to live in the moment and manage our stresses much more effectively.

Our heart-warming experiences included being welcomed back so whole-heartedly by David, Kripalu's accessible, warm and thoughtful CEO; Stacy from the gift shop whose beautiful smile and greeting made us feel right at home again, John from the dining hall and Wayne at the front desk, all of whom had us immediately feeling at ease after a long drive.

In particular attending yoga classes and constantly being reminded to "listen to your body" -- Lee Albert's workshop on positional therapy and Randall Williams' workshop on strengthening your core-- proved relaxing and informative and spiritual.

Rich is always renewed by Adrian Bennett's Drum Circle.

Aside from the wonderful, fresh food choices. our room was lovely and overlooked the lake. The on-going activities and classes offered each of us the opportunity to explore our own inclinations while sharing mutual experiences including Ken Nelson's presentation on Qigong Sacred Healing Arts; Jennifer Reis -- Divine Sleep Yoga Nidra, and Lisa Nelson MD -- Why we East What We Eat;.

Thank you Kripalu for always making us feel so well cared-for, nurtured and mindful. Our only concern is when to book our next Retreat and Renewal visit.

Room Tip: Let the front desk people know your requests.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

I've been here a couple times for the R&R program, once in the summer and once in the winter, which are two totally different experiences. I loved coming in the summer and taking advantage of the beautiful grounds. The kayaking trip with a silent meditation out on the lake is not to be missed and was definitely one of the highlights of my experience.

I stayed in a room in the main building with a shared bath. The accommodations are small and pretty basic but the only time I was in the room was when I was sleeping or running in and out to get something, so it didn't really matter much to me. The shared baths are pretty typical of gym locker room. For showering I recommend hopping in the hot tub downstairs at night and then showering in the attached locker room instead.

The food is excellent, although I do wish there was a little more flexibility in the meal schedule. If you check in late you're pretty much out of luck as there are only drinks available during non-meal times and there aren't any nearby options in the surrounding area.

If you're driving to Kripalu for the first time leave lots of extra time to find the place - especially at night or in the winter. It is a bit off the beaten path and your GPS system may not be of much use as mine couldn't find it.

Lastly, don't be afraid to come here alone. I've come solo and with friends and both were enjoyable experiences!

Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

Visited for the first time Nov. 6 - 9. I was there under a R&R, so I do not feel qualified to comment on any of the programs, the program set up,etc. This review is strictly on the R&R and accomodations.
I stayed in the Annex - private room, private bath. The room was small, but clean. The bathroom was adequate. Another reviewer commented 'monks cell' - that is apt. But then, you aren't supposed to be in your room! Wireless in the Annex worked fairly well.
Food was good. I was very pleasantly surprised. Good choices regardless of whether you eat meat, or am strictly vegetarian. Food was plentiful and tasted great. If you need coffee (not served in the dining hall) you can buy a cup in the cafe.
The R&R has a changing set of activities during the day. I was up for the 6:30 am yoga class (3 levels in different rooms depending on your skill level), and different classes, talks, and activities during the day - the choice is yours what to do - or not do. There are also plenty of places to find a quiet spot and read a book.
Cannot comment on the dorm set up or other rooms in the main building, but the class rooms and meeting rooms were all convenient and clean. Dining hall reminds one of college, but that sort of set up also allows one to meet and chat with other folks. And it that isn't your thing, there is a silent dining room.
The yoga instructors were great. I had a different yoga experience every class, by virtue of having different instructors with different areas of expertise. It would have been dull to have had the same movements every single class.
There is also a spa (I had a massage which was wonderful, not included in your stay).
I thought it was great value for the price, and will definitely go back again. If you are looking for glitz, then you might be disappointed. If you are looking for an emphasis on the yoga experience, then this might just be for you.

Room Tip: The Annex seems quieter than the main building as most of the programs are conducted in the main bui...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Location is a long haul from Boston, Harford, and Albany. All of the previous reviews about the accommodations were absolutely correct. The rooms in the Annex are the newest/best and have private baths but are teeny tiny, tiny. Think monk cell. I loved the food, all organic buffet style. By the way the breakfast is held silent. Yes, no talking allowed! Coffee is available for sale in the Café but not in the cafeteria. Tea is available in the cafeteria. My husband found the food bland and boring. I loved it, but note it is not necessarily lowfat. I am a beginning yoga person, but was easily able to attend the Gentle and Moderate classes. My husband enjoyed the gentle yoga. Dress is very casual. Learning about breath, mindfulness, and mediation was fantastic. Despite being there when snow was on the ground we were able to walk to the lake. Beautiful scenery. We were there for the Parkinson’s retreat. It was very well done! Great speakers that covered information from medication to meditation, exercise and stress relief, nutritional and a healthy cooking demo. We also spent some time with their therapy team. Excellent staff!

Room Tip: choose annex, away from elevators
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

We arrived 3 days before our weekend program. Those days (rest and renewal), there was plenty of programming, including hikes, lectures, a concert, workshops. Then our workshop began on Friday night, which turned out to be not so great due to the writer giving the workshop. I felt that our writing workshop programming conflicted in time with all the regular rest and renewal programming so that we couldn't partake of R&R stuff on the weekend. Food is good, lots of choices. Beautiful location. We stayed in the new eco annex with strong wifi signal. I also enjoyed the sauna and hot tub. I would come back but it is costly... You have to figure in that you're getting three meals a day plus all the entertainment/self improvement you can take. I liked the beginning and intermediate yoga classes I took.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health? Share your experiences!