“Relaxation and Rejuvenation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Canyon Ranch in Lenox

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lenox
Canyon Ranch in Lenox
Ranked #3 of 15 hotels in Lenox
A TripAdvisor Member
“Relaxation and Rejuvenation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2006

I've been to Canyon Ranch in Lenox twice with my mother and we've had a great time. Canyon Ranch is many things - I choose to see it as a time to take care of myself and my body. The food is spectacular and healthy! You can eat as much as you want and even ask for things you don't see (like butter and salt).

Oh, and one of my favorite things is that you can go to breakfast or lunch in your Canyon Ranch robe. They're not permitted at dinner but you'll see people wandering the halls in their robes - coming or going to spa treatments.

The exercise classes are excellent - offerings range from hiking, kayaking to yoga and tai chi. There are things you can pay extra for but I have always been content using my spa allowance for a massage or two and a facial or other more exotic treatments.

The rooms were nice and, honestly, I spent more time in classes, dining and relaxing on the grounds than I did in my room. They have a DVD library and you can borrow any movies you want and watch them in your room. They will even rent from a video store if they do not have what you want to watch.

My mother and I were able to engage in the activites/classes we wanted and then meet up for our meals and evening activities (like Canyon Ranch bingo!).

If you're interested in living well and taking care of yourself physically and spiritually - I cannot think of a better place to be.

• Stayed May 2003

224 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Needham, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2006

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights between Christmas and New Years of 2005. She had been 2 times before, but I wasn't sure if it would be as great for men. I must admit that they really have an impressive place. Yes it is expensive. But the place is beautiful, service is great, and the number of classes, spa, and health and healing services for the relatively small number of guests is really impressive. Awesome place to relax, get some exercise, and take care of yourself. We'll be back.

• Stayed December 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2005

I just returned from a trip to Canyon Ranch in the Bershires, where I met up with a good friend. We were very excited about the trip, since we had heard so many good things about this place. We were disappointed by a number of facts:

1. Construction near the spa -- we could hear hammering during spa treatments
2. Cleanliness of spa area -- used razors in the shower and empty cups that people drank out of were near the jacuzzis
3. Overall service -- people did not seem to go out of their way to be helpful, and sometimes the service was simply not acceptable. For instance, we once called down to recieve shampoo/soap for our room so we could shower, and nothing came for nearly two hours
4. When we called guest services, maid services, front desk...more often than not, no one answered
5. Classes filled up very quickly and we often had to wait to be seated for meals -- even lunch and breakfast

Overall, we felt our experience was average, but we were hoping for something exceptional, which we did not get.

• Stayed September 2005
Glen Rock, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2005

My husband and I planned to splurge for our 10-year wedding anniversary. We chose the raved-about Canyon Ranch for a 3-night stay for a chest-clutching $4,500. We justified the price after everything we had read about Canyon Ranch. Unfortunately, this resort has very little to justify their fees.

When we first arrived, our car was taken from us to be valet parked in the rear of the resort later. After asking the valet to close the windows 3 times (we kept passing the car as we walked around), we finally had to use our second set of keys to shut the windows ourselves after it began raining.

We have to say that the rooms were really beautiful. Newly re-modeled and luxurious, they are large and comfortable.

The spa was nothing special. Plain beige tile everywhere, adequate facilities, not-unfriendly staff who were often hard to find. We never felt we were staying at a hotel that was above the service of a friendly Holiday Inn.

The exterior architecture of the main building is beautiful, but the charm ends once you are inside. The original exterior is all that remained after a fire in the early 20th century. The interior looks like a Radisson. Teal rug with medallions in it, rustic common space furniture, brass fixtures, etc.
It was a real disappointment. (Notice the only pictures on brochures or websites are the exterior architecture!). I wouldn't want to show pictures of the spa either..

The food is quite awful. I was shocked at how terrible it was. Granted, we are spoiled NY-ers and this is a spa, but the combinations of flavors were embarrassing. We will always remember a poached piece of frozen fish that had some kind of spicy seasoning on it and came with a sugary brown gravy. I've truly never experienced such an inedible dish. Worse than cafeteria offerings. They offer to take everything back and bring you another dish. Maybe they are used to people not being able to eat anything?

All in all, this resort should be called a Health clinic. It really concentrates on classes to learn how to be healthy or how to change your life if you have a disease. It is NOT the place to stay for a luxurious stay. The price is so ridiculous, the only conclusion I can come to is that most of the people who go there are totally rich and don't ever look at prices. Perhaps the Canyon Ranch in Arizona is different - it's much larger and the original.

We left after one night and went to another spa/resort in NY. It was half the price and 10 times the service, quality and beauty.

• Stayed June 2004
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2005

Love it here. Been several times and to the one in Tucson also. Wonderful outdoor activities and exercise classes. Beautiful grounds and room. Lovely staff that is always friendly and happy and accommodating. Great nutrition classes. Wonderful treatments. Yummy food in healthy portions (but they'll give you all the food you want, just ask for seconds...after exercising all day, I deserve 2 desserts). It's all about healthy living, so if you want to lay around, pig out and sip cocktails on vacation, it's not for you.

• Stayed April 2005
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2005

I just got back from 4 days at CR. The positives? Beautiful location in the Berkshires, lovely faciliites (luxurious rooms with featherbeds, great pillows), nice spa with sauna, steam room, inhalation room, whirlpools. Great fitness instructors. Good basic treatments - massage, manicure, pedicure etc not bad for the price. Good food (but more on that later).

The negatives: Solidly average service. Front desk gals who were just rude, rude, rude when I checked in. (How hard is to be welcoming? Is it too much to ask to show me a map, ask me if I need directions to the spa or dining room, tell me I can get a locker in the gym until my room is ready? Guess it must be difficult). Waitstaff was very nice on the other hand. The individual consultations were a RIP OFF. If it isn't a free lecture or you're using the $$ in your package - don't bother. I had a 37 minute consult that was supposed to be 50 and paid $135 for the privilege of having someone who acted as if she was annoyed I was there and hurried me through the session. The food, while good, tasty, full of variety, is ridiculously low fat and under serious portion control. I understand that many people go to CR to lose weight. I did not. I ended up having to order extra sides, butter etc. just to feel full. Also, the food does not have nearly enough sodium. I understand that the typical American oversalts their food but aren't we grownups? Can't you put a salt shaker back on the table? (none to be seen). My blood pressure actually fell pretty severely because I needed more salt after 4 days.

Would I go back? Probably. But I won't book anything extra. Will bring along some BADDDD snacks with me. And complain to the manager about the rude gals at the front desk.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2004

I found this to be a wonderful experience and I would definitely return. The setting is beautiful - prettier than I thought it would be. There are an endless amount of activities to choose from. The rooms are quite nice and the food is good. The spa is also superb. Other guests (many seem to be return visitors) said that it is even better in the winter.

Been to Canyon Ranch in Lenox? Share your experiences!