“Great spot” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 59 Restaurants in Lenox
canton MA
“Great spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and I had two delicious lunches at Alta. The owner was gracious, service excellent, and food delicious.

Berkshires, Massachusetts
“When Your the Best - How Do You Improve?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

It's a challenge, a big one for a superb restaurant, when our exceptional dinner: Drinks (martinis), appetizer (P.E.I. Mussels), entrées (Braised Pork Shoulder & Porcini Linguini with Shrimp) and desert (Gelato was one of them) was perfectly enriched by Alta's ambiance in the back room) and unimpeachable service, with particular accolades to our Waiter!

Would I expect everything to be exactly the same, if we had been dining before a local concert, i.e. Tanglewood? Can't answer that, because I would hardly pick a concert night for the perfect evening out at Alta.

So, what might be improved? I can only think of two things: I would love to see crisp white linen tablecloths and better quality flatware. The tablecloths would look great and soften the noise. And I would be remiss, if I didn't comment that I do not want to be asked, "How is everything?" or words to that effect by anyone on the staff. That said, dining at Alta is a very, very pleasant experience; We will be back!.

Boston
“Excellent dinner at Alta”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Alta on Tuesday, October 8, 2013. Everything was delicious. We requested a quiet table because my husband is hearing impaired. We ate our meal in the back dining room all by ourselves because it was before 6 pm - no noise problem! The waiter was very attentive and the owner stopped by twice to see how we were doing. My husband ordered the tuna appetizer and loved it. He ordered the baked cod entree and I ordered the chicken statler. Both were delicious. We didn't order dessert because we were too full. The wine pairings were quite good. Eat at Alta, you will love it!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“a pleasant lunch experience...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

We sat out on the little front patio. We were greeted by a friendly staff and server. We both had a delectable salad and practically licked the bowl. It was just a lunch but if its an indication of the quality of this place, next time we'll be back for dinner!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Danbury, Ct.
“Good food but not a good experience.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had dinner at Alta prior to an evening concert at Tanglewood. The food was excellent. I started with an interesting appetizer of lamb meatballs and salad. My entrée was a steak, large, tender and perfectly cooked. My wife had the duck, also very well prepared.

Our problem was that we made an early reservation so that we would have time to enjoy what we expected to be a very fine meal before the concert. Unbelievably, the restaurant decided that they could rush us through quickly enough to get a second pre-concert seating at the table. After being seated, we started reading the menu and the very long wine list, but the server asked for our order at least three times within five minutes. When we did order, the appetizers appeared within a few minutes. Then, incredibly, they brought the entrees to the table before we were even half through the appetizers. I had to nearly physically restrain the server from pouring the wine faster than we could drink it. We rarely order dessert, but I think partly out of spite my wife order the crème Brule. It turned out to be quite ordinary and not worth the calories. By this time, other early diners were finishing and some tables were opening up, so they finally decided to leave us alone for a while.

• Visited August 2013