“Stay away” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 13 restaurants in Leicester
spencer
“Stay away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

My wife and I took my brother out for his 65th birthday. We went to Barbers Crossing in Leicester about noon on Dec. 18 for dinner. My brother wanted lobster and since he has Cerebral Palsy, we wanted lobster already prepared and heard that Barbers had a Lobster Pie. My wife and my brother each ordered "Lobster Pie" for 13.99 and I ordered Baked stuffed Haddock. The menu said ,choice of potato and vegetable. When we ordered it, the waitress glossed over the vegetable choice. When we were served, the "Lobster Pie" was a small metal plate with cracker crumbs and small pieces of lobster mixed in. My wife took one look at it and decided to pick through it to see what was in it. Small pieces of limp rubbery tasteless lobster meat. My haddock dinner was comparable to what you'd get at Crackerbarrel where everything is prepackaged. They reluctantly did not charge anything for my wife's meal. My brother, who didn't see what was going on , left some pieces of lobster in his plate, and i asked him why he didn't eat them. He said they didn't have much taste. Use your own judgement of course, but I'll never visit them again!

• Visited December 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

21% Recommend
MA
“Sometimes great - sometimes not”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

This was a fabulous, local seafood restaurant that changed hands some years ago to Barbers.
The location is convenient. Fair amount of parking.
The prices are reasonable. The service is average.
Sort of a pub style place. Plenty of lighting.

Most the time I have the lobster is some form or another. Have also had the fried clams and seafood platter. Never had a complaint about the fried items.
Portions are certainly adequate.

The food can be from excellent to "occasionally" just ok.
More often than not the meals are good and a safe bet, but a rare - phew! - when did this lobster die? has turned me off.

I would still go back, don't get me wrong, but if you're expecting fancy and fabulous, it's not here.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newton, Massachusetts
“Only good thing was the free popcorn”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

I ordered the French Onion Soup to start. It came out with a slice of cheese placed on top- not baked, just sitting there. The soup itself was so overly salty that I couldnt eat it (and I can usually tolerate pretty salty foods).

I ordered Prime Rib cooked to medium for my meal, and while it was thick and tasty it was completely well done to the point that it was overcooked. The "au jus" had absolutely no flavor- like water. There was also a strange, brownish substance on my plate that my waitress said were mahed potatoes. No skins, so I'm not sure why there were brown, but they tasted awful. The corn on my plate was clearly of the frozen variety and was extremely chewy.

Since I didnt eat my meal, I was still hungry and ordered dessert (what was I thinking?!)
The strawberry shortcake's biscuti tasted freezer burned and was inedible. The strawberries were the frozen kind as well and were pale starting to go bad. They seemed to almost "fizz" in your mouth.

All in all, a horrible meal except maybe the prime rib if it had been cooked correctly and the free, fresh popcorn they bring to your table when you arrive. There are better places to go to get good prime rib and popcorn, however, so stay far away from Barbers Crossing in Leicester!

Visited July 2011
Southbridge, Massachusetts
“IF YOU WANT A PLACE WERE YOU'RE BUSINESS IS NOT APPRECIATED, THIS IS THE PLACE.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

While placing our order with the waiter, we asked if their chicken broccoli dish (that was already priced at $12.99 per plat) could be tailored to our taste by adding shrimp to the plate, we were informed by our server that it could be done for an additional $5.00 per plate, I thought it was a little steep but, we agreed and asked that they prepare the dish to our liking. In record time the food was prepared, and delivered. Well, when it arrived, the portion was on the skimpy side but, to make things worse, the dish did not include the chicken. I brought this to the attention of our server, and he acknowledged that “he must have misunderstood our request” which happens, we are all human, we’re all prone to mistakes. Our server said he would be right back, upon his return, he again acknowledged it was his error and said he would be happy fix his error and informed us it would be an additional $8.00 per plate to add the chicken….. So, their already meager portion of Shrimp, chicken & broccoli at an inflated price went from $12.99 per plate to $17.99 per plate, (minus the chicken) up to $25.99, Although, we never had the opportunity to try the dish, the shrimp certainly lived up to their name, as did the overall portion. Any reputable establishment would have made some sort of effort to satisfy their customer, in an effort to ensure they left on good terms, and feeling they received what they paid for NOT THIS PLACE!! After I left, my fiancé requested to talk to the manager, well it turned out the owner happened to be working that night, she explained the entire ordeal with her, and she didn’t care in the least!! This alone tells me they care very little about customer satisfaction. My guess is, they removed the shrimp from our plates, and served them to someone else, even after we picked through it looking for the rest of our meal!!! YUMMY, I would stay away, and dine at your own risk, unethical, poor business practices

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Leicester, Massachusetts
“Barber's Crossing, Leicester, MA-mixed feelings about food and service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

Recently, my mother, sister and I had dinner at the Leicester Barber's Crossing Restaurant for the first time. We are newly relocated from Worcester to Leicester, and had been frequent and satisfied customers at Barber's now-closed West Boylston St., Worcester location. We had mixed feelings about the food and service quality at the Leicester restaurant.

We arrived at about 5:30 p.m. on a Saturday and were seated almost immediately at a booth, as requested. After scanning the casual but comfortable restaurant, we saw it was not overly crowded (the parking lot did not seem to be full upon our arrival). We were given a basket of unbelievably salty popcorn to munch on while waiting for our server, who did not appear at our booth to take our beverage orders until about ten minutes later. Once taken, she returned with our drinks (1 coffee-$1.75, and 2 ginger ales-$1.99 each with free refills), but not the warm dinner rolls she had previously promised to deliver. There were many specials that night, so we asked that she return to take our dinner orders in a few minutes so we could further peruse the menu and specials listing. Well, it was more like fifteen minutes before she returned to take our orders, but still, no rolls. Our waitress was MIA another five minutes before she came with the rolls and a few totally cold and hard pats of butter. She apologized for the delay, seeming a little flustered and put out, and took our dinner orders.

Mum had the baked lobster pie-$13.99-market price for that night (a favorite of Mum's at the Worcester location and one of the reasons we decided to dine there that evening), with a baked potato. Mum found some of the lobster meat in the casserole very tough and stringy; the baked potato was run-of-the-mill. Sis opted for the baked seafood casserole, a sufficient portion of shrimp, sea scallops and haddock with a cracker crumb topping, for $11.99. She declared the fish/seafood fresh and tasty, but the clarified butter that should have been in the dish definitely was not butter, but rather tasted like a very cheap, oily and artificial-tasting butter substitute. Not at all good and made the dish less than what it should have been. With her entree she ordered the rice pilaf, a mediocre medley which wasn't brought out to her with her dinner, but about five minutes later, after advising our server of this omission. I chose one of the evening's specials, a mixed barbecue platter ($14.99) which was to consist of pulled pork, pork ribs (1/2 rack), sweet potato fries, coleslaw and corn bread. Everything on this amply-sized platter was very good---meats moist and tender with just the right amount of rub seasonings, extra barbecue sauce provided on the side, fries hot and delicious, slaw better than usual, but, alas, no corn bread (I love corn bread, especially with barbecued foods). When I made the waitress aware of the missing item, she seemed surprised and did not know that corn bread came with the dinner. Off she went again and returned a few minutes later with no corn bread (the kitchen was out of it---that early on a Saturday evening?) but with a hunk of garlic toast as a substitute. I did not want the garlic bread, but my sister said she would eat it with her dinner. After tasting it, she deemed it cold, chewy and not very garlicky. I enjoyed my large dinner very much and had ample leftovers for lunch the next day.

All of us pretty full, we exited without ordering dessert. The bill for the three of us came to $46.70, excluding tax and gratuity. We thought this very reasonable.

Recommended Dishes: Barbecued Specials, seafood/fish (ask if REAL BUTTER could be used in the dish; if not, forego it), prime rib (had it before at the Worcester location and it was alway fabulous and cooked perfectly).

Overall: Decent

Food: Quite enjoyable. A couple dishes lacked a bit in preparation and flavor.

Service: Needs help. Inattentive/undertrained staff made the meal somewhat unpleasant.

Ambience: Pleasant atmosphere, but nothing usual or unexpected.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere