“Sad to even give a review” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dalton, Massachusetts
“Sad to even give a review”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Just got home from dinner at Sullivan Station in Lee, MA, and as residents of the Berkshires, we'd love to be able to give it a great review......but it was very good. Ordered calamari appetizer, and waitress told us 3 times it was coming.......salads came, but no appetizer. She said she would comp us for it, but to be honest, it wasn't very good and we were glad we weren't going to have to pay for it. Calamari was overdone and ended up being little flakes or pieces of batter....terrible. We then waited again for a long time for dinner, which I will say was good - not great, but good. Portions were just okay.

To the owners - you need to do something about your chef not being able to keep up, as well as learning to cook a little better, or get someone else. I hate to say something bad, as I truly want the local places to succeed, but you need to beef up the service and the food. You shouldn't get salads, before your appetizer even arrives, and then to wait a good while after you've eaten the salad to even get your food.

All in all, we've tried Sullivan Station for the second time in the last year, and I have to tell you that I would not go back....not with so many great restaurants in the area. The entertainment (male singer) was very, very good and the train station itself is cozy.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

massachusetts
“Worst service ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Decided to take my parents somewhere different for their anniversary. Called and made reservations for 6:00 during the week. We arrived on time were seating within a few minutes but had to wait a good 15 minutes before our waitress came to our table. They did have live entertainment and the man singing was very good. Waited 20 minutes before our drinks came, a bud lite and a martini...should of been made and delivered within 5 minutes. Placed our orders right when drinks were brought to us. We order 3 chowders and 1 salad, she came back and said all the clam chowder was gone but had seafood chowder to replace if that was fine...we said sure fine...well it was cold! Waited and waited for meals, after sitting there for over an hour got up and complained to her, she said kitchen was very busy but only 6 people out of 35 in the small restaurant were eating, she didn't care one bit. She served a table of 12 that was seated after us and I once again got up and said this is unacceptable and she said kitchen busy. I finally got up after waiting almost 2 hours and said I want our food to go NOW. She said sorry anything I can do? I said yes just take our 2 drinks off and give me my food. She came back and said I can't take drinks off...I said this is the worst service I have ever had. We got food to go, no discount, or anything from the place. Our waitress if you want to call her one, certainly deserved absolutely nothing from us! The worst part was, I took my parents out for their anniversary and they never got to eat. I Will never go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Cobleskill, New York
“We enjoyed our meal in an old train station!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

One of us is a GIANT fan of trains, in fact, we came here for lunch after going to the Berkshire Scenic Railroad, three miles away. The décor, the wood paneling, the benches that look like they lined the restaurant when it was a train station and all the posters and ads all over the walls. *The women's room has train wallpaper,* how cool is that!

The food was fine, as was the service, but we were there for the décor, really.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tyringham
“This may be my 2nd review ... always been very good ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We've been here several times and it's always been good. Contrary to other reviews, our water was refilled several times without asking. Homemade bread was fantastic and refilled promptly. The appetizer mussels were salty and replaced with one of the best shrimp cocktails we've ever had. Felt the salty mussels the fault of the supplier not the chef. My husband had the duck with raspberry sauce which was very good but would have preferred to have breast rather than two legs. Vegetable of the day was either corn on the cob or green beans almondine ... for some reason my almonds were missing. My prime rib was sufficient to feed a family of at least four! Will make roast beef hash with the leftovers taken home. The Irish coffee was a perfect meal ender even if it was another stifling hot humid day. The server named "Beth" was a delight and most attentive. Sullivan Station is in what was the old Lee train station built in 1893 and is listed on the national register. (And I do recall arriving at this train station 50 years ago having taken the train up from New York City.) Yes, we will go again and again to Sullivan Station.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Nice Atmosphere BUT Terrible Service & Meal”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I've been there before and just had an "okay" meal. This week's visit was the last: took 90+ min. to be served, got our own water, no bread refill (we were starving), no ice when asked for several times, no lemon for fish when asked for twice, waitress came by 6 times saying "it'll just be one more moment," fish was burned, rice pilaf was tiny portion, steak was tough, people next to us who arrived a half hr after us were served and left before we were even served, the owner asked to speak to me and took me outdoors (it was 95 degrees) to tell me that she had a bad day, and the dessert (which I asked to be comped) was terrible -- worst bread pudding I have ever had.

• Visited July 2013