“Bleh” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Lawrence / Andover

You added Holiday Inn Express Lawrence / Andover to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Lawrence / Andover
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   224 Winthrop Avenue, Lawrence, MA 01843 (Formerly Hampton Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lawrence
Boston, Massachusetts
“Bleh”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

One of the worst hotel stays I've ever had; Went to a wedding with a friend and we made this our hotel of choice since it was just minutes away by car from the estate.

After checking in our two-bed room and dropping our stuff off, we immediately left the room to head over to the reception. We honestly were in the room for about two minutes, tops, just enough to freshen up and head out. Immediately I was hit by a smell. Not a small of dead hooker or anything, but instead a smell of cold tobacco. Gross. The air was really disgusting in the room. I turned on the fan, and off we went.

Hours later, after the reception, we headed back in and as I was changing, my right ankle hit a piece of wood that was protruding from the bed frame. A solid piece of wood, a few inches long, that clearly didn't belong there, was sticking out. I screwed in pain as I didn't expect it and apparently some peeps next door heard me because instants later security knocked on our door. Jen told them what happened and instead of apologizing for the piece of wood that was sticking out, they said "We know. Keep it down".

I can't believe that they'd leave a piece of wood sticking out like that. I got pretty badly hurt and had a nasty surface cut. Jen hurt herself on it as well later on. All they'd have to do is saw it off. It would take a minute and would save anyone from getting hurt.

Later on security called our room, at almost 2AM, to tell us that our TV was too loud. The volume was at about 1/6th of the way up, we could barely hear it. It was complete and utter [--] and in the process they woke up my friend since it was so late at night and again were unapologetic about it and even rude.

Fast forward the rest of the night and in the morning as we checked out, we complained about everything and a somewhat receptive front desk person comped our room. It was nice of her but to be honest, the hotel flat out sucked. Even their breakfast which came included in the room was terrible. The eggs were rubbery, the bacon was disgusting and their fruit juices were way too sugary.

No thanks.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Andovermanagement, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lawrence / Andover, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Jeramy

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay last year at the Holiday Inn Express. I am sorry you experienced some service and quality issues. I am pleased to tell you that we have made changes to the hotel including breakfast items, renovated the lobby area and improved our guest room inspections to provide the best room we can offer to your guests. I welcome you to comeback and see the difference that a year can make!

Molly Mulholland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was the first hotel of my business trip over the past 5 weeks. The room was "ok", a little older hotel, musty/mildew smelling... generally just nothing "great" about it. I set my suitcase down on the floor and realized that the carpet was soaked... in a very odd spot by the armoire which was basically the closet. So, not near the bathroom or the air conditioner where you might expect moisture or leakage, so I'm not sure what that was about. The bed was horribly uncomfortable and I woke up with some pretty bad hip pain. We were scheduled to go back to this hotel at the end of the following week, but changed our reservations, thank goodness! Wouldn't recommend this one, although the location is decent, right off of the highway.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Andovermanagement, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lawrence / Andover, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for staying with us for your business trip. I am very sorry we didn't meet your expectations. We work hard to make every stay an awesome stay. I welcome the opportunity for you to come back and let us show you a better experience. Thank you for your feedback.

Molly Mulholland

Travelers are raving about these Lawrence hotels

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I'm sorry to say this was my worst experience at a Holiday Inn Express. I stay with them regularly all over the country on business trips and this one is very disappointing. I visited for 3 nights as part of a vacation. The hotel is clean and breakfast was good but we had several serious issues.

Moisture: Our room had a moldy and musty smell when we first walked in. We quickly learned the bathroom has no ventilation so nothing dries and the room stays damp all the time. Don't expect towels or anything wet to dry.

Noise: At 6 am we woke up to a loud thumping noise which was vibrating the walls. This turned out to be someone jogging on the treadmill in the nearby exercise room. On our first night we were talking and laughing and we received a call from the front desk asking us to be quieter. We didn't think we were that loud. So the walls are pretty thin here.

Service: On the first day we received no maid service and had to get clean (dry) towels from the front desk. I also overheard the receptionist trying to tell the maintenance man to check on a bathtub which wouldn't drain. It was very obvious his english wasn't good enough to understand her.

Location: Getting to the hotel is tricky. You must turn into the parking lot in front of the Dunkin Donuts and weave around behind it. This is the only entrance and exit. The signs are small and hard to see (we missed it the first time and got on the highway by accident).

Room Tip: stay away from the exercise room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Christine B

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Holiday Inn Express. We work hard every day to please our guests and based on your comments we fell short of your expectations during your stay. I will share your thought with my stadd and the service issues. I hope you will give us a chance to serve you again and show you our superior hospitality and service.

Thank you again for your review.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

From Jessica the front desk clerk who was sweet & accomodating . To the room being Very CLEAN ! And comfortable. Flew up from S.C. and stayed there Aug. 16th & 17th visiting family. The breakfast was delightful, the beds were very comfortable . Happy with our stay . Def stay here again . Thank you

• Stayed August 2013
Andovermanagement, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lawrence / Andover, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Express. The staff works hard to take care of each guest so you can relax and enjoy your stay. Thank you for recognizing Jessica, she is a gem! Hope you will stay with us the next time you travel North!

wallingford, connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Perfectly located off the highway. Great way to save some money after a day in the city. Clean and comfortable. We will be back to stay next year. Easy check out and great breakfast. Great for families

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express. The hotel is the perfect spot when touring throughout the New England Region. We are 30 minutes from the coast, Boston and a short drive to the lakes regions of New Hampshire.
Thank you for the review.

Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We arrived late on a Friday nite, 3 adults with a dog , without reservations and exhausted. We needed a double but they only had one room left which was a more expensive room with one king size bed instead of two double beds. Though they appeared to have another opportunity to rent the king room to a couple who arrived after we did, they made us feel like they were only concerned with meeting our needs. They offered to add another bed to the room and give us the cheaper room rate.. Junior, a staff member, quickly added the extra bed and made the bed with the nicest freshest linen, and made sure we knew that he was available to us for anything else we might needed. I was impressed by his good humor and genuine thoughtfulness. Every staff member we encountered was very helpful, very pleasant, and appeared to enjoy being of service to it's guests. Someone did a great job in hiring this hotel's employees.

Our room was very, very clean,and the beds were very comfortable. We were well rested in the the morning.

On top of that the free breakfast was great. There was Hot scrambled eggs and sausage, pancakes, sweet rolls and fresh cinnamon rolls, cereal, fresh fruit, bagels, yogurt, coffee, tea, milk, juice plus more, and all in abundance. What a deal !!
The other guests seemed to be really enjoying the breakfast because they were commenting on it to others on just how good it was. No one hesitated in going back for seconds . It sure seemed to put everyone in a good mood.
Great staff, great free breakfast,very clean, comfortable and easy to get to off the highway.. Highly Recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Andovermanagement, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lawrence / Andover, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Janetsusie

Thank you for choosing the Holiday inn Express. Your kind words about my staff and your stay thrilled me. We discuss the reviews on a regular basis and we work hard to meeting everyone's needs. Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review the hotel and the staff. Please look us up the next time you are in the area.

Tonawanda, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

I cannot say to much about the hotel good or bad. It is an older property that is in need of a revamp. Might go the way and fly another flag I they don't update soon. Everything was OK in my stay. If you're looking at an IHG property in Northern MA or Southern NH area, it is an OK place.

• Stayed July 2013
Andovermanagement, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lawrence / Andover, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Hello Paul_da_Bulldog,

Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Express Andover. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The hotel is located right off of Route 495 which makes it convenient to the coast, Southern New Hampshire and even downtown Boston. I welcome you to comeback and stay with us again the next time you are in the area.

Molly Mulholland

Been to Holiday Inn Express Lawrence / Andover? Share your experiences!