“Sorry, I know it's a local favorite.” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Soups
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Boston, MA
“Sorry, I know it's a local favorite.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We went to Stone Soup for breakfast a few weeks ago. Found the restaurant had an odd atmosphere but the food was good so we came away with a smile. This morning we decided to give it another try.

The parking lot was mobbed. We walked in to find that mob of people all standing around awkwardly near the door. Apparently they are renovating. So far they have only concerned themselves with extending the bar to take over half of one side of the this restaurant! There were a few randomly placed tables in that area. No place for people to wait, so they are looking at people who were sitting/eating at these random tables.

The bus staff was clearly not keeping up. Several empty/dirty tables throughout the restaurant while we waited. It was a frustrating wait! Basically hard to watch the staff flounder.

Once seated, our waitress was quick and efficient. Too bad the food didn't stand up to the test. Second visit, ordered the same things and they were anything but the same. French toast tasted like a dirty grill. Overly salted homefries. Grilled Italian bread instead of toasting? Who does that? They ruined a perfectly good slice of bread.

Funny thing was, we never saw our waitress from the time we ordered until we had to ask for her because there were things on our bill we didn't order or receive! Then she seemed offended when I asked if they had a new cook!

This was a 3 strike visit. We won't go back.

• Visited April 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

60% Recommend
Ipswich, Massachusetts
“Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

I took my husband here for lunch for his birthday. The food was great. It appears they are fininishing some renovations to the bar area. Great place for sports fans, TV's everywhere, including at the tables. The staff were very friendly as well.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Massachusetts
“Get the Salmon with Lobster Risotto!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

This is a moderately-priced restaurant with some very good dishes. For dinner, I like the seared salmon with lobster risotto and asparagus--it has a lovely sauce which I'm sure is not on my diet, but c'est la vie. ($15.99) They recently removed my other favorite meal from the menu--seared scallops--due to the wholesale cost. Too bad, it was a winner. Last week's special--fried clam plate--was an astounding number of delicious clams on a huge bed of french fries, for the modest price of $10.99. My dining companion ordered this and I had a taste of everything--no complaints. Some of the dishes are not as successful--I did not care for the Chicken marsala as the chicken was overcooked and the sauce uninspired. There are occasional inspired dessert specials, however, and we were lucky enough to be there for the poached pears with raspberry (I think) sauce. Delicious and it's presentation was first-rate. Last week we saw gorgeous strawberry shortcakes being served, but the restaurant had run out of them by the time we were ready to order. Maybe another time...! If I were in charge, the first thing I would change is the way the bread is served. Small pieces of sliced bread (2 per person) are topped with herbs and heated, then served with oil for dipping. It takes a while for the bread to come to your table and another long while if you finish and order more. Why not forget the topping, serve the unadorned bread warm in a basket , along with a more interesting dipping oil? It would be less time-consuming for the restaurant staff, precluding fewer reorders.
It is a casual, fun place which I enjoy going to, but the jazz on Fridays can be way too loud if you are sitting anywhere near the musicians. Try to get a table in the bar area and the sound level will be tolerable, or eat dinner first and then listen to the jazz, which is very good.

Visited March 2012
Bedford, Mass
“Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

My husband and I had lunch at Stone Soup today and were quite impressed. I had the tomato rice soup and my husband had the chili. We both had huge sandwiches and the french fries were very good. I would recommend this restaurant.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Essex, Massachusetts
“Okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

The service was good, but the food was just okay. I think when we went (a few months ago) the kitchen was a bit green.