“Not Cheap, But Good” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Hyannis, MA
“Not Cheap, But Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Dropped into Embargo on Friday night to meet old friends for cocktails. I was greeted with a smile from the hostess and moved on to my table. As I sat with friends, within seconds the waiter appeared and took my drink order. I strayed away from the martini and ordered a draft, which was on the table in about a minute.

It was my first time here, and the place is known as a martini and tapas bar, so we tried almost every offering (they also offer dinner). The tapas are well prepared, visually appealing, and the most important part...tasty. The Embargo Clams were delicious. The Chilagro Beef was cooked to perfection (I might be mispronouncing this one, I was on my second beer). The Vegetables in Tempura Batter were good as well. The Cod...well, not my favorite. It was okay, but not great.

There was also a table-side magician that night and he was headed our way. I was tempted to excuse myself (felt like I was on a cruise ship)...but I stayed seated and I'm glad I did. It was not what I expected. It was fun and performed well.

All in all, a fun couple of hours. Embargo is a good place for a cocktail or two with friends. The waitstaff is friendly as all get-up, and service is fast. We've already made plans to return for Wednesday Night Drag Karaoke. (HUH?)

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Mashpee, Massachusetts
“.99 cent Oysters & 1/2 off Tapas "You Get What You Pay For"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I decided to try Embargo last week with my family. The advertisement enticed us to give it a try. After eating the seafood, one of the people in my party did not feel well. She said she felt as though the food was left over and not very fresh. We called over one of the wait staff and asked for a manager, but they didn't have a manager on that night. They didn't bother to take the meal off the bill, nor did they compensate us with a dessert or a drink. This was not handled in the proper manner. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant until they serve fresh food and train their wait staff to handle these situations properly.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
David N, Owner at Embargo, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
This is a false Review.There are many reasons I know it's false because I was there on the night the review supposedly took place and no such incident took place. I was there as well as our Full-time Manager John. In the craigslist review they claimed to have ordered Oysters and littlenecks that made them ill. Well after running reports on our POS system it was discovered that we hadn't even sold any Littleneck clams on that day. They are also simultaneously posting falsehoods about me personally on the local Craigslist site. It is obviously a false and personal attack by a competitor or disgruntled former employee.
Rowland Heights, California
“Excellent choices of tapas.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

A wonderful place to have dinner or tapas. The service was prompt and friendly. The presentation was fine. The tapas were on the large side, so we actually ordered way too much food for the three of us. We had the spring roll with cream cheese, lobster Mac & cheese, chicken leg, escargots (a lot more than your typical 6 to 8 counts), small neck clams, etc. they were all quite good. The tempura cod, however, wasn't crispy. The ambience was also very good for couples or friends, and I was still able to catch some of the scores on the small screens behind the bar.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Very good tapas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We went on a Tuesday when most tapas were 1/2 price and everything was very good - food, drinks, staff, ambiance. We had a great time.

• Visited October 2012
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

This restaurant was such a delight to walk into. From the moment you walk in the atmosphere is really modern. Dimmed lighting with comfortable booths and ample bar seating if you are just there for a drink. The staff are warm and friendly, very accommodating if you dont have a booking. We went in at 6.30 on a Friday night and they were able to seat us straight away. Their tapas are fantastic. They have a great range to suit many peoples preferences and palettes. I highly recommend all the things that we tried that night, they were as follows.
Escargot sautéed with Garlic, Vino Blanco, Parsley Picada and Grilled Bread
Tempura of Local Cod Fingers with House Made Tartare Sauce
Truffle Oil & Parmesan Pommes Frites

They have half price tapas from 4.30pm to 6pm everyday I believe which would make it a very worthwhile trip.

The serving staff were attentive without being bothersome.
They have a large selection of house cocktails that all sound really good.
The tableside entertainment for the night was an illusionist who was entertaining and enjoyable.

I couldn't fault this dining experience one little bit.

• Visited September 2012