“Stay was OK. Would Check For a Better Value Next Time.” 3 of 5 stars

Hyannis Harbor Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   213 Ocean St, Hyannis, MA 02601   |
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Hyannis
Boston
“Stay was OK. Would Check For a Better Value Next Time.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I saw a lot of negative reviews on this hotel prior to taking a chance on booking a long weekend here during the period of 11-Aug – 14-Aug., 2013.

The location is perfect if you want to be near all of the”action” of the harbor and downtown Hyannis. A beach is nearby. The Hotel claims a 10 minute walk but I would assume 15+. In the spirit of full disclosure, I did not walk to this beach but drove there just to look around.

The hotel does charge $15 per night to park which I could not understand. Somewhere in a past review the management commented on the beach that is “10 minutes away” charges $20 to park there so they in the end saves you money. Not sure I agree with this. With that logic they could charge for the bed and save me from sleeping in my car! If you want more money out of me, just add to the bill and save yourselves from me questioning my stay the next time based on charging for parking.

The breakfast buffet for $11 was very good. I saw some complaints about the selection and could agree if not for the price. What you get for $11 is very good. It carried us through lunch. The cook behind the counter was very helpful.

The room was very clean. The mattress, pillow, and sheets were very comfortable. The only issue we had with the room was that the air conditioning unit was leaking water onto the carpeting. The management offered to move us to a different room but we were all settled in and declined.

We were not in a harbor view room, which was more money but the room did overlook a very nice courtyard. The balcony was an added bonus.

Two negatives with this property were the indoor pool. It was not opened if the outdoor one was . Saving on lifeguards I presume. The other was the overall layout of the building. It seemed a little disjointed. For example to get from our room (411) to the main lobby, we went down a flight of stairs, to the indoor pool area then up a half flight to get to a walk way that crossed over to the lobby area. Perhaps there was an easier way but we never found it. There is no elevator on this property.

On a positive note, the bar area was very, very nice. An outdoor patio area with a fire pit and several outdoor “fire lanterns” was a welcome respite with our favorite drink (or two) after a day of activities. We also enjoyed walking across the street to watch the clam boats unload at night with their daily catch.

In the end this is a good three star hotel will good access to the ferries to the islands just across the street. The staff was very helpful and courteous. The only thing that would keep us from coming back is the price. At $219++ per night, I would look for a better value. If I could not find one, I would come back to the Hyannis Harbor Hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Jersey City, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the king harbor side room from August 19 to August 23. Bad enough they charged $266 a night but we paid $15 to park in there lot everyday. We saw on the room chart that this was the smallest room in the entire hotel. The FREE Internet is unavailable in rooms 134 through 138. The shower only had ice cold water and whatever detergent they used on the towels and linen gave us a very bad rash. We looked like we had measles. I would never stay in the hotel ever again. We wasted our money. The only good thing is that we crossed the street to get on the ferries and the restaurant had good food.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the expensive rooms.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

room was big with 2 queen beds, though i needed 1. bed was clean and comfortable. free coffee in room. wifi was okay but slow at times. room was clean but carpeting and bath tiles a bit old. hallways a little stuffy, may be because i was close to indoor pool. outdoor pool is nice. terrace outdoor restaurant (bluewater grille) is charming with fireplace and view of harbor / ships, but the food is only average. breakfast buffet is also average, but convenient for $12. you get 10% discount for staying in hotel. there is also coin laundry for $1 to wash and $1 to dry. dryer was weak. i put in only 1 towel and came out semi dry. bring quarters, i didn't see a change machine.

location is good. about 1km or half a mile walk to Main street with more restaurants, and weak nightlife. restaurants close relatively early. i noticed only couple of bars with music that didn't seem that crowded. i didn't try any.

i thought i had booked a room with view through online Exp... but got a room without a view. rooms with view of pool and harbor are nicer with a balcony, though the view is not much, just a few big ships. you don't see the ocean.

parking is somewhat challenging. on busy days you may not find any, or have to walk a few hundred meters/yards. biggest surprise was $12 a day parking fee, i had not known about.
overall okay, but not great for $260 a night i paid plus parking.

i don't know if there is a beach nearby. i drove to Marconi Beach where i paid $12 for parking.
also spent a couple of hours to drive to Provincetown and walk the streets there. charming quaint place with white picket fences, but the large majority are gay (male) couples, so you have to be open minded. $3/hour parking near the harbor.

Room Tip: ask for a room with balcony and direct view of the pool and the restaurant.
Pembroke, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I booked what I told was a two room suite.

Turns out, it was a dump. The room was located in the back of the parking lot.
No elevator, no handicap ramps in the building. We were on the second floor.

The room had a spiral staircase going up to a second floor. Up there there was a huge empty room that had not been updated in about 30 years. It was supposed to have a kitchen table with chairs, a sofa bed and tables with lamps, there was NOTHING. They charged $400 for the night!!!!! The slider to the deck was broken and there wasn't any screen so you could not open the door.

I complained about the room and got three people who told me the manager would call me but NEVER DID!!!!! The rooms are a dump. They shouldn't even be offering them.

They obviously are milking tourists to the max on these rooms.

Horrible service, horrible rooms.

RIP OFF!!!!

Room Tip: If you need a suite, don't go there.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Milton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed here at the Hyannis Harbor Hotel for one night. We had tickets to the Cape Cod Melody Tent and wanted to stay somewhere not too far from show but overlooking the water. This was a perfect choice. Grounds very clean. Nice pool. Restaurant atmosphere extremely nice and food delicious. We were able to walk to the Melody Tent although might be a long walk for some. We had a garden view room - Very clean but a little outdated (bathroom). Ate dinner and breakfast at this hotel sitting outside on deck. Nice fire pit at night. Would definitely come back and stay again.

Room Tip: Harbor view rooms looked very nice
brockton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Was looking for a good place to stay with my family on July 4th and my wife decided to stay here we rented 3 rooms for $285 a night plus $25 more that overlooked the harbor so we were told on the phone so we did the rooms we got smelled like mold carpets was old and smelly the rooms withabeautiful view of the harbor was actually looking at the restaurant the staff was not friendly at all like they were doing us a favor with cleaning and towels we stayed for 2 days which cost us $665.00 yes there was 15 per day parking like I was going to walk there from Boston just a total waste of money will not be back or recomend at least not to this place

Room Tip: If you have money to burn use your fireplace do not upgrade to harbor view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend with my daughter and as we were not driving we thought it was close to the beach, turns out this was not the case and it was a good enough walk to it. The hotel itself was fine and the room was big and fairly comfortable.Pool area was nice and the restaurant attached was fine for a snack.Unfortunately we had a very nosy family in the room above and when we complained to the reception area, the noise got worse. We phoned again and were told that the lady in the room had a few children and was offended at being called about the noise, she said she heard noise also and had not complained. This was quite strange as there was no room above her I suppose it could have been Santa doing a dry run for Xmas. The noise continued until 1.30 am and when I commented at checkout about the herd of elephants above us they just smiled. When you are away you try to spend as little time as possible in your hotel room, however one would expect to be able to relax and SLEEP in your hotel room when need be.I would strongly advise this hotel NOT to put children in the second floor rooms and if they do then they should deal with the parents who allow them to run and jump on the floors until the early hours of the,morning.

Room Tip: Do not take a ground floor room if possible.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hyannis Harbor Hotel? Share your experiences!