“Needs some TLC” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Hyannis
Macungie
“Needs some TLC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

First stay at this hotel, great location for ferry. Our room was clean, quiet and maid service was good. We had 2 levels with spiral staircase, property needs some TLC to increase rating. Room door hard to open and sliding doors to decks hard to open and wouldn't lock. Nice lobby and adequate restaurant for appetizers at night. Within walking distance to downtown, staff was helpful and friendly, not sure I would stay again until improvements made.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Widnes, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were really looking forward to our 3 night stay at the end of our trip to New England. The website promised much but reality very different! Our so-called standard double was more like a low budget motel. Only one light - bedside so navigating in the dark a bit hazardous. Corridor outside narrow, dingy and two flights of wooden steps very difficult to bring luggage up and down. Nowhere to put own toiletries in the bathroom. Only one bedside table - no room for two! View from outside deck was of a flat roof and the parking lot, and watch out for $14+tax PER NIGHT for the privilege of parking! Nowhere on the hotel website do they feature the standard room, and not surprising as no-one would book one! Yes the location is excellent but it's not enough to excuse the poor standard of the rooms on offer. There was just no atmosphere. Breakfast in the attached restaurant was adequate but again decor and atmosphere down market, note only outside area shown on website. My advise stay somewhere else, location is not everything!

Room Tip: Don't book a standard!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

Great location right across from Nantucket and Martha's vineyard ferries.
Rooms were lackluster, we had a suite which was nice but on the older side. I can't imagine what the other rooms looked like.
pool was small but good.
Front desk staff need a lesson in customer service and etiquette. One morning I asked where I could find the beaches. The reply: " there everywhere, look around." I actually laughed that they were so indifferent. Apparently the location brings people back regardless because it was pretty packed.
The only thing I was slightly surprised about was the parking. You should know you have to pay additional amounts for each car. It is not included in the cost of your room.
My advice. If you are staying for longer than 3 days and you don't need to be across from the ferries or need a pool rent a house. It will probably cost less and you will spare yourself interactions with some future supermarket checkout stars.
That's what I'm doing the next time.

• Stayed August 2012
Monsey, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Approximately one year ago, we booked our vacation in this hotel, but the memories we have from that will never vanish. Nor its stench.

When we returned home from this terrible stay, we sent an email to the management. Nearly one year later and we're still waiting for a reply.

We should've really sat down and write a detailed review accompanied with images of our hotel room, as promised, but time constraints has won, so we're just copying here our email to them, and will let you decide for yourself.

We thank you for you're time, and oh, you're welcome.

Here it goes:

To Whom It May Concern:

I have been to your hotel this past August; thank goodness I can finally say it in the past tense.

Okay, sorry for introducing myself so bluntly, let’s start with square one. I’ll try my very best to stay calm throughout the letter.

When planning our vacation, I was looking for a hotel on the Cape, when I came across the “Hyannis Harbor Hotel” which looked quite decent on its website photos. Naturally, I went on tripadvisor.com to read up on its reviews. It shocked me. Of over approximately three hundred reviews, you got to have a keen eye to filter out the positive ones. The majority of them were from bad to terrible, mostly about the terrible stench, awful filth, and so on. My initial reaction was “forget it”, but reading the responses from the owner that the hotel got renovated, and now everything is top notch, I caved in and called the hotel. To be more accurate, first my wife called.

My wife asked the friendly receptionist about the terrible ratings, especially about the stench all were ranting about, she calmly explained the same: the hotel is newly renovated and there is no bad smell whatsoever, the rooms are beautiful, accompanied with a pleasant odor. My wife hung up.

Still, I was very skeptical. So I picked up the phone myself and hit redial. The same receptionist was still there. As if it was a different customer altogether, I asked her about the stench. Again (paraphrased) “no bad smell at all!”, “any downsides?”, “nope, it’s really a lovely hotel”, “what about the ants problem someone wrote?”, “there was once a housekeeper we had, that cut corners and subsequently caused problems, we fired her” “you make it sound so great, how come there are such negative ratings?”, “people will write what they will write, trust me it’s a wonderful hotel and you’ll enjoy it immensely”.

She convinced me, and I booked a Jacuzzi room online.

A step I still regret.

We arrived at Hyannis. In the heart of all the hustling and bustling of cars and ships at the port, stood a big hotel with a sign “Hyannis Harbor Hotel”. We opened the door of our room, we stood there a while; the odor that came out of that room was so disgustingly strong, it took us a minute or two till we were able to enter! The smell? I don’t know exactly, but I’ll try to describe it: somewhere between a horse stable and concoction of urine and mold.

The first thing we did was open the porch door and all (nearly jammed!) windows to let the air circulate a bit.

I went to the bathroom, opened the light, the exhaust fan opened with it, but oh is this a fan, it made such a racket, the noise was so painful to my ear, I couldn’t hear anything going on outside the bathroom. But, hey, no problem, when my wife wanted to speak to me when I was there, she simply shut the light switch outside. What a relief! As my wife accurately pointed out, she’d rather use it with the lights shut!

But it took us a while till we were able to use the bathroom in the first place, the door didn’t close! Yes, you rent out a room and the bathroom door doesn’t even close! Sure, I called room service, an hour later it was fixed. But I had to wait an hour till I was able to use that noise-racking bathroom with a rusty shower rod in the first place! And did I really go on vacation to have two repairmen drilling up a knob catcher near our bed?

Your photos online shows a beautiful table in each room with a lamp on it. Heck, did I find that, no! I had to call down they should please be so kind and bring me one. (“A table??” the receptionist asked me in total surprise. “Yes, a table”, “okay, let me check into that.”) More than an hour later – after having to call back again – I finally got a folding table, not at all resembling that beautiful table on your images online.

We booked a Jacuzzi room because we wanted to use the Jacuzzi. But when we filled it with water, out came pouring BROWN WATER! Yes, brown water, as so much, that when let the water out, an ugly brown ring that has formed all around on the walls of the Jacuzzi emerged!

I can go on and on: the window curtains that wouldn’t close completely thus letting the sunshine in, bursting on our eyes in the wee hours of the morning; the dead insects laying inside the light fixtures; the rust wherever there was any kind of steel; the peeling paint on the entire deck; the toilet paper dispenser that came rolling down on the floor every time we tried to rip off a piece; no light on the deck to be able read there at night; nearly no available outlets to plug in our electronics; etc. etc. etc...

Yes, we had a great time on the Cape, thanks to you we tried the most possible to stay away from that hotel and its stench.

We believe we have the right to request a reimbursement. We’re sorry we have to go this route; we have never wanted to go like this with anyone, especially a place where our whole intent was vacation and not at all the stress and frustration we have witnessed during our stay. But you have forced us otherwise. Thinking that we have just dumped more than seven hundred dollars is mind boggling to say the least. We’re looking forward for a prompt and positive response from you.

All in all, we regret not trusting the majority of reviews online. We regret booking the room. We regret having to throw out all boxes, bags, cutlery and paper goods when we arrived back home, as it stank up our entire house with your smell. We would never want anyone else to fall into this hell of a deal. We will try our best to make sure it wouldn’t happen to a fellow Cape Cod vacationer. Other visitors at tripadvisor.com would probably thank us for the honest detailed review we are in midst of writing and hope to post in the near future. Except, well, you convince us otherwise.

Room Tip: Perhaps try some other hotel.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
albany ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Based on photos on line of this property and the rates we paid, we were disappointed. At first glance, the exterior of buildings appear inviting as does the lobby. The room was disappointing. For starters, it was obvious an attempt had been made to update the room. Yet upon closer observation, one could not miss, the dirty carpet, the rust on radiators and bathroom door, the dustfilled screens, the sink stopper which did not work. There was a large screen TV but meager instructions as to its use. We had to call or rather go to the lobby to ask for assistance. The nineteen sixties touch telephone in the room had no instructions or numbers listed for contacting the front desk. After we went to front desk, an associate was kind enough to come to our room and assist. This room would have been acceptable if the cost was in the 150.00 dollar range. When two nights cost 518.00 plus 14.00 dollars per night to park our car in a massive parking lot, the room was not worth the price. We do give high praise to the staff as they were friendly and professional.

Room Tip: I don't know what other rooms were like. If you are looking for convenience to ferry departures...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ct., USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

If you are planning to take the ferry
To Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard it is great to be across the street with parking included in your hotel tab. The grounds and pool are well kept and the restaurant on the grounds has food and a nice bar overlooking the pool. We stayed for 3 nights and made two ferry trips out. Main street has the usual summer town shopping experience: same shop
After another selling the same item. Many restaurants and lots of people about. A family town. Hotel had horrible AC on the wall and very noisy. Also lack of electric outlets for all our electronics!

• Stayed August 2012
Suffield, cT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We always have trouble finding a place big enough for our family of 5 (with separate bedrooms.) This was perfect. Master bedroom on 1st floor with a wide staircase to the upstairs sitting area which had a pull-out sofa and a 2nd bedroom with two more beds. More than enough room for 5 of us so we weren't tripping over one another. Location was within walking distance to many attractions and activities. The outdoor pool was salt water instead of chlorine which was very refreshing and nice. The grounds were beautiful, indoor and outdoor pools were both nice (but we only used the outdoor one), outdoor fire-pit was warm (no pun intended) and welcoming, bar and restaurant were convenient and had both indoor and outdoor seating. The bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept on in any hotel. Amazing!

Room Tip: If you have a group of 5 or more look for the 2 story suite. They have a 700 square foot and an 800...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hyannis Harbor Hotel? Share your experiences!