“Attention for bus tour groups.” 3 of 5 stars

Heritage House Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   259 Main Street, Hyannis, MA 02601   |
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Hyannis
Brisbane
“Attention for bus tour groups.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Chose this hotel to be near the ferries to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. Many hotels closer. Easy 10 or 15 minutes walk to ferry 2 streets away. Location of hotel very good for the towns stores and restaurants. The large hotel complex has free car parking. Comprises several buildings. Indoor and outdoor pool. Balconies and patios to many rooms. Rooms air-conditioned, clean, pleasantly furnished and attractive decor throughout. Room had a minifrig but no microwave. Elevators but some levels and rooms then need access by stairs too. Raise any mobility issues at booking. At arrival Sunday afternoon, our booking had not been processed at all. As explanation the 3 staff on duty at Reception told us the hotel had hosted a wedding the previous day/night. As in they had been very busy with the wedding and that took precedence over new bookings/room assignments? The booking agency fax was subsequently slowly found in the office. So whilst initially grateful to finally have a room assigned (not over-enthusiastically done either, we felt like we were a bother), we were then told that they had 3 bus groups arriving soon and would be very busy. First hint of the importance of bus groups to the hotel. We were advised of the hotel's Restaurant - Chauncey's - as in eat at our restaurant and yes it was open Sunday night, they said. Later, we observed the arrival of the buses, one after the other, pouring out a lot of guests. Buses and guests everywhere, one bus even blocking the main entry. Later after a drive around Nantucket, I phoned Reception to book a table at Chauncey's for dinner that night. This restaurant should be re-named Chance. As in chance being a fine thing. To eat there. I was told the restaurant was only open to guests on the bus tours that night. Recognised the un-helpful young woman by accent. She and many other young employees around Nantucket, came from Bulgaria they told us. Odd. Next morning no breakfast for us in hotel - only for bus group guests I was told, same that night and next day.
So hotel management, either advise individual guests about any restaurant and breakfast room closures up front, carefully, and please re-evaluate your attitude to all guests. We felt like second class citizens and I do not believe our room rate reduced pertinent to the lack of facilities we had access to. None.
We ate at Schooners, fine, and Albertos, excellent. Both along Main Street. Both thankfully open for business. To us.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

The Heritage House Hotel has to be 1 of the best we have ever stayed in, from our Arrival to our departure the staff could not have done any more for us. The reception is small and friendly with restaurant just of to left, the lovely dark haired receptionist(forget name) giving us a very friendly & informative welcome although we arrived very early arround 12:00 check-in 15:00 (this mailny due to using American public bus from Boston (1hr 40mins.) and is less than a10mins. walk from bus terminus along a foot path & accross the main road. They took our luggage & stored it in the office. The room was very spacious,clean with fridge. The swimming pool spot on, situation in the town could not have been better also for the ferry to Martha's Vinveyard 5mins. walk, (receptionest did all our bookings) Dinner in Spankie's (cape cod, cod for myself) Wife had lobster both to die for. Ferry crossing on local ferry 1hr 40mins. or fast ferry1hr.stayed in hotel for 2 nights check put was just as easy had diner in restaurant 2nd. night fab. food

Room Tip: All rooms we saw looked excellent with an open view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

On arrival we discovered that this is a MOTEL rather than a hotel, its rather grubby and the two receptionists we encountered were both less than helpful and seemed to be a little "dim". The bar at this establishment was never open and the restaurant only for "coach parties" The swimming pool was closed for the season and there was no offer of help to take our luggage to our room even though there were steep stairs to negotiate. Thank goodness we only stayed 2 nights. This is on the wrong side of cape cod for whale watching etc. and there is little or nothing to do at this particular place otherwise. If you book here you are sure to be disappointed with both service and amenities.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Naples, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed one night (Saturday, Sept 15, 2012) at this hotel and could not wait till daybreak to leave. I did not choose this hotel, the reservation was made for me by another motel. The moment I went to the front desk to check in, it was downhill because of the disinterested, unfriendly, cold women at the check in desk. I asked how many steps to get to my room and they said "two.". I counted theta were 12 steps to get to an old, outdated, musty, smelly room was like walking up and down steps through a maze. It was impossible to use my Ipad unlike my former motel on Ocean Street where I was given a password. I was NOT given a password at check in at Heritage House and when I called the front desk my call was received with the continued disinterest and now rudeness from an employee at the front desk. I asked to speak to a manager and was told there was no manager there to talk to. I requested the manager's name and was again told there is no manager. There was nothing positive about this hotel. Enough Said!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is right on main street hyannis, which is right were you want to be. The rooms are very out dated, but clean.

This is a great hotel if you plan on being out and about but not if you want to hang in all day.

• Stayed October 2012
Northampton, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I am a tour guide speaking for a total of 16 people which stayed at this property (not by our choice) and all complained about the hotel. I guess the company that I work for and booked this hotel property didn't realize how bad it was because when you read the hotel information and look at photos it does look decent. The company booked the hotel because of the location which is good when you stay in Hyannis, MA right on Main St. The hotel has around 140 rooms which are split between 3 buildings: main building, building # 500 and # 600 with about 20 rooms in each (rooms with numbers 501 etc. and 601 etc). We stayed in building #600 because the hotel was full of travelers (mostly seniors) and they were in main building. As soon as we enter the building you could smell the bad odor of mold and saw the dirty carpet in the hallway. I thought that the odor would only be in the hallway but when i opened the door of my room I was hit by the same smell and was the same for my other passengers. I immediately went to front desk and asked to change us to a different building but was told that the hotel was sold out and those were our rooms for 2 nights. I can't say if the main building or the # 500 building had same problem because I stayed away as much as I could from the hotel and we were there for 2 nights. The beds are not very good and some of my passengers complained of the sheets and towels to be dirty and some hair was found in between sheets including my. I slept with the window open and the heat on to try to keep the smell down and covered my self with clean towels (looked before touching them) to try to sleep and as you can imagine it was not good. I notice the rust under the sink and the bathtub showed craks on the outside

The owner of this property should read this before he rents this hotel rooms;
DISCOVERING that you have mold within your property can cause you to feel many things. You might initially feel disgust, frustration or even a sense of being overwhelmed. MOLD has a pungent smell. When it is confined to one area of your property, you may notice an unpleasant odor when you are in that area. Mold can sometimes live within the walls or behind wallpaper, and so you might not immediately associate the smell with mold. If you do notice an unusual persistent odor the culprit may be mold.

I am not sure how the main building is because i spent most of the time out. In fact my breakfast was included but decided not to eat to be on the safe side.

First time in 25 years of travel that I encounter a problem with a very smelly hotel and I have stayed in worst looking places and cheaper hotels like Super 8 or Motel 6

If you decide to rent a room there ask to check it before paying for it. If they want to assign you on the #500 or #600 block then you better take a good look and smell the place.

I notice other reviews about the bed bugs. I didn't notice bed bugs but for sure I left there hitching with what it could be dust mites. They live in moldy and dusty places. Information on wikipedia

Good luck!

Room Tip: Spend your cash in a different hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Mark W, General Manager at Heritage House Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel and the positive comment about our GREAT location.

Our management team was never notified about these issues while the tour was at the hotel. It is very important that we are notified about issues during your stay so that we may respond in an efficient manner and correct the situation.

This tour was assigned these specific accommodations based upon our recent renovation and at the request of the contracting office. The Main building(Chatham) which you inquired about moving to, was not available since we sell out months in advance. Our rooms are cleaned and inspected to AAA standards and updated with new carpet, furniture, artwork, lighting and fabrics.

Please remember that escorts are hired to represent a company and assist in problem solving all issues during the tour. A single review does not necessarily reflect an overall tour experience. Again, thank you for your comments.

Yours in Hospitality,
Mark H. Waldruff
Heritage House Hotel
259 Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
508-775-7000 extension 553

Been to Heritage House Hotel? Share your experiences!