“Mixed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Cape Codder Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Cape Codder Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Cape Codder Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1225 Iyannough Road, Route 132 & Bearse's Way, Hyannis, MA 02601   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Cape Cod Package
Ranked #7 of 22 hotels in Hyannis
GreenLeadersSilver level
NH
“Mixed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2006

Upon early arrival, we were checked right in and went to our Cape Codder room. As soon as we walked in the door of the room the musty smell just hit you in the face. I asked to have our room changed due to my grandson's allergies and they were very accommodating, however, we looked at 5 other rooms before we found one that did not smell!! It was not as nice a room as the first one, which had a fireplace but it was immaculate and did not smell. The employee we were working with was very helpful, professional and polite.
The two kids, 11 and 15 loved the wave pool and water slide. The 15 year old also loved the exercise room and the whirlpool.
There were plenty of life guards but they let things get really out of hand with a bunch of teenage boys before they finally asked them to leave the pool area. We did not see them again after the first night.
We ate at the restaurant two nights and the sandwiches were excellent. The French Onion Soup though was only lukewarm. We were seated right away and the service was excellent.
I found out the hard way that they put an authorization against your debit card for the cost of the room in addition to $75 for each day of your stay for "incidentals". I had a very difficult time taking care of this but it was straightened out in the end.
I would probably not go back unless my family really wanted to. As I said, the kids loved it.

734 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2006

I stayed at a presidential suite.And it was gorgeous.Excellent service.Great food.Everyone was sweet.And I read how the people were rude at the cape codder..but maybe you people were being rude and snobby.It's a great place for all kinds of ages.The wave pool is great..with hot lifeguards. So it's a great place to visit for a vacation. yeah

• Stayed July 2004
Boston MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2005

I live just north of Boston and wanted to give my 3 kids (boys 15, 13, and 9) a little Christmas break. Booked the Cape Codder on the strength of a personal recommendation.

To sum it up... I'm glad we came; several positives to report... I'm not sure I would identify negatives... I was just left with the sense that it has so much more potential... Here goes:

POSITIVES:

The Water Park was the key highlight and pushed my rating from average to above average. Without it, I wouldn't have bothered to come here. With 2 slides, a wave pool, adjacent sauna, and very large hot tub, the kids enjoyed going a couple of times per day. In particular, I really was impressed with the level of supervision of the kids by the staff. At no time did I ever feel that there was anything unsafe. This is especially important for parents of smaller children. Note: This is Christmas school break and I suspect that they put some extra staff on for the increased crowd....

I showed up very early expecting to check my bags in and go out. I was surprised when my room was ready and I was encouraged to come on in.

There is a central courtyard that was decorated in very festive Christmas lights and decor. Not particularly interactive but it set a nice tone. My kids enjoyed checking them out.

Onsite arcade - OK. Bonfire at 7pm was more of a large campfire but still... my kids enjoyed roasting a few marshmallows... Suggestion... bring a bag and a stick and save a few bucks. Onsite MovieTime a plus. Family-friendly movies change everynight.

I recieved $30 worth of discounts at the onsite eateries to spend over two days. It was nice to just go and eat without having to go out.

Eaterie #1: The Hearth & Kettle was fine. Standard American fare. OK prices. Service was fine.

Eaterie #2: Grand Cru Wine Bar. Nice spot for a drink with my wife. A bit pricey. Stopped serving food just before I arrived. No signage telling patrons. Bummer...

Resort is just minutes from Cape Cod Mall. The family spent up all our leftover Christmas money on bargains there. Cornerstone stores are pretty much the same you'd find at any large New England shopping center. Mall includes the Regal Cinema.

The workout gym looked very well equipped and spacious.

They don't advertise WiFi but... I easily picked up two unsecured networks and could connect without difficulty.

NEGATIVES:

Depending on your perspective, this could actually be a positive. The very large hot tub was restricted to people 16 years and older. Both my teenage sons really felt "gypped". They generally look forward to a nice soak. They are well-behaved and this is usually not a problem.

For wintertime usage, the pool area is a bit cramped. There were chairs setup around the wave pool but no tables. So if you want to go, sit at a table to read, and watch your kids, you'll be disappointed. The edges of the sitting area are so close to the water itself that several kids splashed my book or newspaper. I didn't hold them accountable. It wasn't really their fault. In the summer, the walls all have doors that seem to open up into the courtyard so this shouldn't be a problem.

One of my sons is hearing-impaired. The TV set didn't have closed captioning. However... this was somewhat mitigated by the superb effort by the maintenance to investigate and problem solve. In the end, he couldn't but I did appreciate his concern and effort.

I usually am pretty comfortable in most anything. I've been known to grab a nap sitting up in my parked car. However, I do have to note that the double bed was unusually "bouncy". The mattress almost jiggled like it was an air mattress. If you are a little fussy, you might be concerned.

CONCLUSION:

For $150 per night, it served as a very good midwinter diversion for my family of 5. No glaring concerns. Calling it a "resort" seems a bit of a stretch. Could have rated higher with some additional touches. I'd go again if my kids wanted to...

Given it's proximity to Cape beaches, I could see a family staying here... hitting the beach... returning to the hotel for some easy summer living... I'd consider it for my family...

• Stayed December 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2005

The stay was a mess from the beginning. We should have known it would be a bad expereince when it took over 20 minutes to make our reservation in the first place. The agent was rude and of no help.

Once we finished our extremely long dirve to the hotel, it took another 30 minutes to check us in. They had the wrong information, room type, dates etc.....The first room we checked into was someone elses. Clothes every where! Luckily nobody was in the room when we walked. The front desk clerk didn't even apologize. She acted as though it was our fault.

The second room we checked into smelled moldy and musty. When we requested another room they said there was nothing else they could offer. We were stuck with it!

We went to go to the pool but were overcome by the odor of chlorine and dirty diapers. Quite a disappointment since this seems to be the hotels "big thing". We opted to stay out of the kids bath tub.

When we went to grab a bite to eat at the hotel restaurant, we were faced with a 20 minute wait and the sound of screaming chidren.........hardly a relaxing vacation hotel.

We opted to check out that same day. I couldn't stand sleeping in the smell of must. We paid the early departure fee and thanked the front desk for their bad attitudes, smelly pool, smelly rooms, poorly run, unprofessional operation and wasting our time.

We checked into another, cheaper hyannis hotel with a golf course and 2 diaper free pools and had a great time!

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2005

My husband, daughter and I spent a long weekend at the Cape Codder. The room was spacious and clean. The beds were comfortable. The resort was pretty and nice to walk through. The wave pool area was very kid-friendly and my daughter never wanted to leave. The sauna and hot tub are nice for adults. The spa was very nice, although they hit you up for an 18% gratuity on top of the expensive price for a massage. I thought the staff deserved it, but would've been nice to add my own tip on. For the price (over $200 per night), they were lacking in a coffee maker in the room, very limited television channels and no high-speed internet. Those little extras make the price worth paying; otherwise, the rooms should be closer to $150 a night.

CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2005

My family and I just returned from a two night stay at the Cape Codder Resort. The only reason we picked this place was because of the indoor wave pool for the kids. It is only because of the wave pool that this hotel can charge the prices that they do. Their rooms are certainly nothing to write home about. We stayed in a queen room that is supposed to accomodate 5, and seeing that there were 5 of us, this was the only choice I had when booking online. I knew there were 2 queen beds in the room and assumed that seeing the price that was quoted for 5 of us, there would be a cot set up in the room to accomodate the 5 of us. Of course that wasn't the case... silly me! The very offensive reservation clerk told me that there were no other rooms that would accomodate us any better. She offered me two choices... a cot in the room for an additional $20.00 a night, or an adjoing room and we would pay double the rate that we were already paying. I told her that we were already paying enough and she took offense to that. So, the bottom line is the room
doesn't accomodate 5 unless you can fit 3 in a bed. Good thing my youngest is such a good sport and didn't mind sleeping on the floor, because I wasn't about to pay another $40 for a cot!
The room was just average. Not anything fancy by any means.
Not worth the price unless you have kids that will get a lot of use out of the pool.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2005

Having never been to Cape Cod, I was looking for a nice place with lots of family amenities to keep the kids happy. Thank goodness I did so, because when one of my three kids came down with a flu virus, we were more or less trapped in the hotel. The other two kids loved the wave pool, and the nightly bonfires and outdoor movies were really a pleasant surprise. We had a great time in the courtyard roasting marshmallows!

The accommodations are very nice, the hotel staff is professional and courteous, and the place is well run. It is not near the beach, the closest beach is about ten minutes by car.

I had two issues with this hotel. First, with a family of five, we had to squeeze into an "upgraded Cape Codder" room. It was basically a standard size hotel room with two queen beds. An additional cot was shoe-horned into the room for $20/night. I would have paid for a bigger room. Suites are available, but children are not allowed in these because of the spiral stairs in the unit.

The second complaint was that they nickel and dime you to death. For example, instead of a breakfast buffet, you must order from the menu. My family of five couldn't get away from breakfast for less than $35. We ordered room service coffee -- two mugs -- and were disappointed to see a $5 delivery fee plus 18% gratuity tacked on to the $5.50 charge for the coffee. Other similar quality hotels put a coffee maker in the room. The spa prices all included a mandatory 18% gratuity (in the small print at the bottom of the price list). I mentioned marshmallows on the bonfire. Yes it was great fun, after you pay $5 for a bag of marshmallows. None of these charges broke the bank, but they come at you from every direction.

Would I go back? Probably not. I think next time I would spend the same amount to get a hotel suite or two connecting rooms. The amenities were nice, but really we went to Cape Cod to see Cape Cod, not stay in a hotel!

• Stayed August 2005

Been to Cape Codder Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!