“First timers in Hyannis” 3 of 5 stars

Resort and Conference Center at Hyannis
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   35 Scudder Avenue, Hyannis, MA 02601   |
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Hyannis
Los Angeles, California
“First timers in Hyannis”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Overall, it was the summer peak season and most every hotel was already booked so the choices were few for us to make. The hotel was drab and overall old looking. My room overlooked the east parking lot and was on the darker-lit side with a musty oder and the bathroom had some mold near the faucet area. The hallways on the property had a strange odor, not sure how to characterize it. The hotel has two stories that are stretched out laterally from the main desk area. The parking was free. The staff seemed nice though my interactions with them was very limited. I dont think I would stay there again unless I had to. If staying here, will have to drive to the main street area where most of the shops and stores are.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Pembroke, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We just stayed here for 3 nights and I was not impressed. Our room was on the second floor. We were directed to the elevator but never told that we would then have to go down a flight of stairs and up another one to get to our room while managing suitcases and bags. We were told that there are only double beds in the rooms and they seemed so small - time to upgrade to queen sized! When we asked about the shuttle bus to the beach, the woman at the concierge desk was not helpful and bordered on rude. The outdoor pool had only two umbrellas though there were other stands. I was told the umbrellas had broken and there weren't others. Really - a resort that can't replace a few umbrellas? So disappointing! This place needs a lot of work. I would stay somewhere else.

Lincolnshire, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I stayed at this Resort and Conference Center in Hyannis in Oct. of 2013. I am writing this to warn prospective travelers about the strange stair configuration in this Center. If you are a senior citizen or anyone who has a knee problem, make certain that you get a room(s) with low numbers. The higher the room number, the more stairs you have to climb. Even though it is only two floors, going from one section to the other requires you to walk down a flight of stairs before entering the next section, and then having to walk up another flight of stairs. I finally found a way to avoid this, by walking on the outside of the units, but on one of the mornings it rained.

Room Tip: Get a room with low numbers
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Centereach, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This place wasn't terrible, but didn't come close to what any of us expected. When you travel to Cape Cod with your family and friends and book a room at what was billed, "an exclusive resort that the Kennedy's stayed at," you expect certain things. The landscaping was atrocious and completely overgrown, to the point that a friend and I actually started pulling weeds along one of the paths to the room. The rooms were so damp we had a loud dehumidifier running constantly and the entire hotel needed some significant upgrading.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
East Hampton, Connecticut, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This was the most money I have ever spent at a hotel and it was by far the worst experience I have ever had. I understand the cost was high due to the time of year on the Cape. We ended up staying at the hotel the weekend of a wrestling tournament and the hotel was sold out. I'm surprised my wife and I could not get a king bed with a bunch of families staying at the hotel, but that is neither here nor there. The receptionist had a hard time saying my name "Thomas" which was the way I was greeted at the front desk. She didn't know how to use the TH. Anyway on to the hotel itself. We had a first floor room, when you walk through the long hallways you periodically go lower and lower. The lower you go the worse the smell, it gets musty. We had a dehumidifier in our room which I needed to empty 4 times in 2.5 days. I won't fault the hotel here because that is a large expensive issue that needs to be addressed and I feel like they are trying, but to have the carpet in the room wet is unacceptable and unsanitary. Not to mention the 2 drops of blood that were stained on the carpet. Next when you look at the ceiling you are left feeling unsafe due to wires hanging out where there should be a smoke alarm, along with black scuff marks on the ceiling that could have been removed with a magic eraser. I can look past all that but when you pull down the sheets there shouldn't be crumbs in the sheets. Were they even washed??? Bathroom functioned fine thank god even though the ceiling was collapsing in the bathroom and the porcelain tub was chipping and full of mold. At least they painted over the falling ceiling. The beds actually were comfortable it's just too bad the neighbors above us had to jump around all night. Indoor pool will get a good score no complaints here very clean and large great for a family. Golf course and outdoor pool also looked good. Lobby was clean and nice. I did not eat here so I cannot comment on the food. Lastly it was strange that there was no invoice under my door for my check out day. I asked at the front desk and they said I didn't need one. I was a little dumbfounded but I guess that was to be expected after my experience. The location was great for the beach, but for the cost of the room and for the longevity of the hotel please get that H VAC fixed in the building or at least the lower level. I know your trying but the problem is not fixed and I can only imagine the amount of mold that is under the rug and in the walls. This is and investment for the good of the hotel and it's guests health. As for the smoke detector missing that is unacceptable and the #1 reason I cannot give this hotel a good score. I will give a score of 2 because the common area's saved this hotel from being terrible.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

The resort is huge ,they have an elevator even though there are only two floors. There is a musty smell when you enter the floors, one of the negatives, others being the flat TV that features about 12 channels without HD, they have pay per view movies , I paid $9 dollars for two coffees and a muffin in one of the shops in the lobby.The staff were friendly, there is ample parking and the hotel has a golf course , two huge pools [one indoor and one outdoor] and a hot tub.For us the huge thumbs up is the hotel sits right behind the Cape Cod Melody Tent which is an outdoor entertainment venue. We enjoyed the Frankie Valli concert last night [JULY 25TH] and as we left the venue the traffic was atrocious.We walked across the street and were in our room for a nitghcap within minutes and watched from our little patio overlooking the road the traffic mayhem that went on and on leaving the CCMT.So if you plan on attending an event at the CCMT I would highly recommend staying at this hotel for beating the traffic alone.But a word of caution if you your not fond of what seemed like a hundred kids screaming and running thru the property and pools this is not the place for a quiet getaway.

Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My dance studio stayed here because of the national competition we were attending was being held here. I booked an adjoining room. The room was average, humidifiers run constantly to keep the moisture level at bay, no closet space (which I believe is due to the fact that it was an adjoining room), bathrooms were very decently sized :), I thought the beds were cozy, but people in my party did not agree. If it weren't for the "special competition rate" these rooms are not worth the $$$ price they charge....Pros: it was close to the Main St, Hyannis, which is a fun spot! The conference area (where the competition was held) was nice. Cons: The pool hours 9-5!! What is that about---were are at Cape Cod, it's summertime and the outdoor pool closes at 5!!! Disappointing. The pool itself-nice...the surface around the pool-unfinished-pebbles constantly getting stuck to your feet--ouch! The lounge chairs-many dirty with black mold. Restaurant hours are a bit strange, but once you know them--you can plan accordingly. The Restaurant is under staffed resulting in long waits and somewhat poor service. It's somewhat annoying the golf course runs in the open area between the buildings of the rooms....when you sit on your balcony, at times, you are dodging golf balls! One night we ordered pizzas for our group of dancers and the front desk staff would not allow us to sit in the hotel foyer area (which is large and has plenty of seating/tables) and eat. I was told that the resort just spent a large amount of money in updates and remodeling, but I don't know where this was done, as it didn't appear obvious to me. The hallways are in need of updating (many are hot and stuffy) the have small air conditioning units keeping them cool-but not really. Many areas just smell musty and feel damp.
Would I stay here again? Yes, if it was because of a dance competition event, but NOT for a vacation or leisure trip.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to Resort and Conference Center at Hyannis? Share your experiences!