“Thank you Trip advisor” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 22 hotels in Hyannis
salisbury
“Thank you Trip advisor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I had a 2 day convention to attend and we were booked here. Thanks to trip advisor I read that the first level was musty smelling and had dehumidifiers running constantly. I called the hotel the day before and asked to be relocated to the second floor and they were very accommodating. Other attendees were on the first floor and said it was musty but they did change their rooms without difficulty. The only issue we had with our room was there was big black ants on the walls and one climbed into bed with my friend. The food served at the convention was just average. On a positive note the location was great and just a short walk to the downtown area.

Room Tip: Always request a second level room. However there wasn't an elevator and we had to carry our lu...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MarketingHyannis, Director of Sales at Resort and Conference Center at Hyannis, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you for your comments on your past stay at the Resort and Conference Center at Hyannis. We would like to inform you that the Resort is undergoing a renovation that will include all the floors and carpeting in our overnight guestrooms and certain public spaces. The renovation will be taking place over the next two months. This is being done for the convenience of our guests and to eliminate any moisture and humidity the guestrooms have experienced in the past. The Staff and the management are committed to a positive guest experience.

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed at the Resort and Conference Center at Hyannis in late September for a car meet.

First -- the good:
The staff I encountered at the front desk, on the phone, and in the course of the day were very courteous and helpful. The indoor pool was very large and kept nice and clean. (It was too cool for the outdoor pool, but it looked very appealing.) The Friday night turkey dinner was moist and delicious. Security locks access doors by 11 PM. The beds were very comfortable and the furnishings up-to-date. The room had a lovely view of part of the golf course. Check out was very smooth.

Second -- the bad:
The resort's layout is awkward. The banquet halls and meeting rooms are to one end of the resort and the rooms are in two wings (parallel to each other) at the other end of the resort. You can get from one end to the other without stepping outside, but there are steps involved -- even if you are on the 1st floor. It would appear that there can't be many accessible rooms available for wheelchair bound guests.
Parking is limited to the front of the resort, so if by chance you wound up in the last rear building, you would have to bring your luggage across a courtyard which was poorly lit after dark.
Maintenance at the golf course starts early -- so if you're room overlooks the golf course -- you'll be awakened by the drone of mowers and such.
Starbucks is a little coffee bar which is not always staffed.
Wait staff for the banquets appeared overwhelmed and service was erratic -- trying to take a meal away right after it was served, no coffee or tea one night, shorted a dessert, coffee poured behind/over a diner's back.
The guestroom bathrooms have been done over with tile and granite, only problem is the installers weren't professionals. If they were, they should have their trade license revoked. They cut corners and it shows.
The largest conference room looks like a gymnasium. Perhaps it was one?
Don't waste your money on breakfast at the restaurant off the lobby. $8 sounds cheap because the food was cheap.
Despite not having checked out, when I went back to my room for the rest of my items, housekeeping had descended upon the hall and I found my room door was opened.

Third -- the ugly:
Upon entering the room the first thing I noticed was the loud dehumidifier humming away. The AC was on, but there was a slight closed-up stale funk in the room. We unpacked our bags, I kicked off my shoes to lay down, and stepped in a wet spot on the carpet in front of the dresser. Socks were soaked. Sat on the edge of the bed, pulled off the wet socks, laid back and PU! the top pillow smelled like sweaty underarm. I tossed the pillow onto the couch. I called up the desk and they sent two fresh smelling pillows. (Thank you!) I wish it ended there.

I left the dehumidifier on thinking that housekeeping might have spilled some water. Not the best night's sleep. The next day the spot was dry so we turned off the dehumidifier. Later on, we came to learn that it was a big mistake. The whole room was stinky damp. Back on with the dehumidifier. It had cooled off, so the heat was turned on. The heat smelled like it hadn't been on all summer and was musty smelling. Asthma attack ensued.

I've read rebuttals from management on other sites insisting that the dampness is related to the resort's proximity to the ocean. I've stayed at hotels on the water in Falmouth and they weren't damp like this. This is NOT an Atlantic Ocean issue. I live on an island, can see the water from my house, and have never, ever experienced dampness this bad even in my old cinder block basement, let alone the first floor! The resort building is old and is most likely in need of roofing repairs and proper grading. The grade from the golf course rolls down toward the hotel which only serves to create more water intrusion.

My friend and I also noted that there were plug in air fresheners in all of the guest room halls as well as the ramp near the pro shop. The hallways had ductless AC units -- which weren't on and could have helped with the stagnant air in the hallways. Instead of paying a few bucks more for the electric for the AC units, they cut corners and used Glade plug ins.

Overall:
The Resort and Conference Center at Hyannis is not without issues, and while it appears that the management is trying to improve the property, they need to focus on the ugly issues -- dampness and possible mold which will sicken clients -- over a few half-hearted attempts to make things look nice. It's like putting lipstick on a pig.

Room Tip: Go for the second floor away from the dampness. Golf course view is pretty, but the groundskeeping...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Brentwood, Nh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

If you need handicap or have asthma and/or allergies, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU. First floor however room numbers are in the 300's. Carpeting was very thick as if it was layered carpeting upon carpeting which could explain the marshy MYSTERY smell in the hallway's and throughout the resort. In every outlet there were Glad Plug In's. There was mold in the bathroom tiles and the caulking in the bathtub/shower. Under the night table there was a box of baking soda. From what we could see and from talking with numerous people every room had a dehumidifier in each room. The buffets looked great, however the food was not kept to temperature as the eggs were warm and the hash browns cold. The linen appeared clean. Our last day there we had 2 classes to attend prior to check out so we had lugged most of our stuff to the car, left tip money on the desk, but we DID not check out and you could clearly tell we had not checked out. When we returned from class we found the room door open and the money gone.

Room Tip: from what we hear - ask for a 2nd floor room overlooking the golf course. (which seemed beautiful)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
sd
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We recently stayed in the Resort and Conference Center at Hyannis while on a fall foliage tour. The rooms were nice-sized with a private balcony overlooking a golf course. Our room was very clean, although one of our fellow travelers found a tooth brush on her bathroom floor. It was quiet and we enjoyed our stay. The continental breakfast was fabulous and the restaurant across the street, The Paddock, was fantastic. I would recommend staying at the resort.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Burlington, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I was here for 5 nights for a convention in August, and can honestly say this is one of the worst places in which I've stayed. We checked in on a Tuesday evening and things started out well enough at check-in. We were directed to drive to the end of the parking lot, bring our bags through the first wing, through the courtyard and into the second wing and proceed left through the hallway to our room. As we passed through the first wing, I detected a very musty smell. When we got into our wing and started down toward the end of the hallway to our room the smell was even worse.

We entered the room and did our usual check of the room for bedbugs (headboards off the wall, beds stripped and mattresses inspected), and were pleased to see there was no evidence of the little critters. When you're married to someone in pest control, it's just what you do when traveling. We noticed they had the air conditioner going full blast as well as a dehumidifier running on high. Clearly there was some moisture issues. We even noticed that the carpet around the dehumidifier was damp. Perhaps from a spill while emptying the container, which we became quite proficient at during our stay!

We unpacked and headed to the vibrant downtown area for a late dinner. Upon our arrival, we again went through the first wing to the pitch black courtyard. There was absolutely no lighting out there at all! Talk about a safety concern! If it wasn't for the flashlight app on our phones we would have been stumbling around in the dark. Attention management: That there is a lawsuit waiting to happen. We passed a couple of people going the opposite direction who were very thankful that we were able to light the path for them.

We entered the back wing and again were assaulted by the musty smell. We got ready for bed and it didn't take long to realize that the room was affecting me badly. My eyes began to itch and I wasn't able to take deep breaths. Either I'd have to sit up all night and try to sleep that way or go sleep in my car.

We went to the front desk and asked for another room. The desk clerk gave us a key to another room a few doors down. I asked if there was anything on the second floor that would hopefully not be as musty. He said "the building is pretty old and run down. They're all pretty much the same." I was pretty stunned to hear their own staff talk about the building like that, but I'm pretty sure he was just being honest.

We checked out the other room, but it was no different, so since we had already done our bedbug inspection and unpacked, we figured we'd stay in our original room for that night. The next day we went to a drug store where I picked up some allergy medication and it minimized the room's effect on my system for the remainder of the stay, making it possible for me to get some sleep.

Other friends who had booked in for the convention had to leave the first night and stay elsewhere because the air quality of this hotel caused a severe physical reaction to one of them.

While we stayed there, we emptied the dehumidifier at least twice a day, and one night after emptying it at around 11:00 at night, the alarm indicating it was full yet again went off at 4:30 in the morning! That is some severe moisture problem. We kept the patio door closed the entire time we were there to prevent letting in any more humidity.

Enough with the bad... On the upside, the facility had some great meeting spaces and the staff was very helpful when we needed anything. The meals were all very good and the dining staff were very professional. The hotel is within walking distance to a very vibrant downtown with some great restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: Avoid the main floor. Second floor may be a bit less musty.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bolton, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Staff is very accommodating. Rooms are very clean and beds quite comfortable.

The meal service to our meeting attendees was unbelievably efficient. The buffet moved very fast and the dishes were cleared almost immediately after we were finished.

The AV facilities were great and techs were helpful.

Area attractions make this an ideal location. Highly recommend this hotel for your next business meeting.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Saugus, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

The Resort was clean, the staff was very helpful. I was down for a convention and with over 500 people and everything seemed to go so smooth. The location is close to down town. The room was clean and maids were extremly friendly. I would recommend this resort for families and other conventions.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Resort and Conference Center at Hyannis? Share your experiences!