“Not What I Expected” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Hyannis
Palm Coast, FL
“Not What I Expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel to attend a wedding in the area, since this we received a discount rate because of the amount of rooms booked for the wedding guests. To start, I do always try to find something positive to say, so I will start and end with a very friendly and helpful staff. Let me count the ways I was disappointed. The wi-fi was slow and not reliable, and my AT&T wireless was virtually useless there. While they had new flat screen TV's, there was no HD service. The hotel is seriously in need of renovation and our room had a musty smell. There was a dance competition going on and there were little to teenage girls running all over the place getting ready to compete. There was no easy access to get luggage from your car to the room. Carts were only semi-helpful since you needed to carry bags over steps. I could go on, but I am sure you get the picture. Find another hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
East Greenville, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Front desk was always pleasant and helpful. Facility is older, sits upon a Golf Course (I don't golf), has indoor and outdoor pools (which looked nice), a Beauty Shop (which was always busy) and a Sports Bar. The downfall, however, were the rooms. My room was located on the Ground Floor right on the Golf Course. It smelled so musty I could not believe it. Another woman banished to this second building complained of same mustiness as well as distance from the rest of the facility. The rooms were so dark and musty that they needed a good airing. Plus there was a refrigerator in the room which was so loud that I had to wear ear plugs just because of its noise.
I had a First at this hotel: under the bathroom counter, there was a bench. I pulled it out to put my pajamas on it before I took a bath. There was a pair of men's soiled underwear on the bench. This was the ultimate indication of the level of cleanliness for me.
Aside from the friendly Front Desk, I did like the fact that you could easily walk into downtown Hyannis.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
MarketingHyannis, Director of Sales at Resort and Conference Center at Hyannis, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
We sincerely apologize for your negative experience at our property and assure you that what you encountered in your bathroom is not the "norm" at our property. We regret that this happened and that this was missed by the room inspector who released this room for public sale. Regarding the musty smell in the guestrooms I think you noticed that every guestroom has outside access and large glass sliding doors that lead to private terraces that either overlook the golf course or the courtyard. Most hotels have sealed leaded glasses windows that don't open and are controlled by a regulated HVAC master unit and are never exposed to the outside air. Unfortunately with the salty air on Cape Cod and the fact that the rooms are always being exposed to the open air the rooms at times get trapped humidity which leave a musty odor at times. The rooms are equipped with air conditioning/dehumidifiers that normally eliminates that problem in the guestrooms. We again apologize for any frustration or inconvenience you may have incurred as a result and we thank you for your comments.
Columbia, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I recently stayed here for a conference. First impression - old, musty smell that permeates the hallways and rooms. Room was hot upon entering, had to turn on the AC and leave the room since it was hot and humid. Floors creek, bed was very uncomfortable. Same comforter is reused, which I gross. Blanket under the comforter was separated by a sheet and looked like an old worn sponge. No elevator (one in front lobby, however I was clear on the other side of the hotel). Side entrance was difficult to find, and looked more like a maintenance door. I had to drag my luggage up to the 2cd floor, all while trying to open the fire doors that separate each section of the hotel. Had there not been a conference here, I would have never stayed and would have relocated to another hotel. I would look around the area and choose a hotel a little more updated and one without a strange layout. Even at the conference rate, it was not worth the price. Front desk was pleasant, and housekeeping was attentive.

Room Tip: Get a first floor room and one near a proper exit.
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was a find in the area. Got really good rates via an external hotel site and didn't know what to expect. Pleasantly surprised when we arrived as the facilities are clean especially the leisure centre areas ie. indoor and outdoor pool, gym. Located just outside the main town of Hyannis and easy access by car to the main town (10 minutes) where most bars and restaurants are. Comfortable, clean and well furnished rooms. Free Wifi! From experience, some hotels at this day and age still charge for it!

Front desk staff were helpful at the time we were there.

Met a friendly lad from Ireland (Tom) who works at the outdoor pool area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I was booked to stay here 2 nights. I did not get the requested King bed. I was told I did not request it., I informed her of how many nights I had stayed in a hotel just this month, I am sure I requested it. 95% of their rooms are two full beds. The worst part is they only have one elevator in one building. The other buildings you drag your luggage up 2 large flights of stairs. The elevator was installed to get to the meeting rooms on the second room in the lobby area. I was told that it was installed when the new owners bought the property. The individual stairway areas have leaking ice machines so when you walk thru in sandals your feet get wet in the soaking carpet. 50% of the rooms overlook a golf course the other 50% the parking lot. I would not stay here on the first floor since the sliding doors open to the parking lot. They have a wing that has a few ADA rooms by the lobby.
After dragging my suitcase up 2 flights of stairs, my room key did not work. I left my suitcase by the door for what I thought would be a quick walk to the lobby thru the other building. NOT so, you have to go up and down stairs from each building to the next. The front desk told me I wasn't a registered guest. Then the girl with an accent told the clerk where to find me. I was issued a second set of keys. They did not work. I went back thru the building again and I told her I think the door needs new batteries. So she called maintenance to meet "us" at the room. She did not think I knew how to operate a key card! She suggested we walk outside the building as it would be closer. We did and the third set of key cards, she swiped, did not work. On my third trip I told her if they did not open the room this time, I wanted to get money back for the pre-paid night and released from the second night. She then tried a real key and it did not open the room. I told her I wanted to be released from the reservation. She became very defensive and said she would have to call the manager. I then called another hotel chain, I stay in a lot, and booked a room in a 4 year old hotel 2 miles away. All while the maintenance man removed the lock and started working on it.
I had been trying to get in the room 40 minutes by then. The phone rang and it was the manager releasing me from the room. The hotel was sold out for the meeting I was attending. It was actually easier to stay at the other hotel and drive to the convention area. Walking from my room at the far end of the last building was at least a 15 minute walk. General conference hall talk, the next day, was what a lousy hotel. They would not stay there if the meeting goes back here next year. I asked where the restrooms were in the conference hall at golf store and was told they only have 2 restrooms in the hotel lobby area, none in the conference hall. Which was incorrect.
One of the beds in the room, 2 pillows, one pillow case. The air conditioner has not been turned on for my stay, so the room was 90 degrees.
When I arrived at the hotel I stayed at and unpacked my suitcase, I was missing a pair of $150 high heels. Which were inside my luggage sitting in the hall for 3 trips to the front desk at this hotel.
I won't be back. I am out a suitcase (broken handle going up and down stairs and a $150 pair of high heels.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
Hartford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a convention. So happy we did not have to pay for this room. The "double"? bed-was really not a double-it was too small- we barey slept. Spiders in the room, the bathtub was not safe-I had to catch myself some slipping. Also in the bathroom-the lightswitch plate did not fit properly-the junction box was exposed. When we checked out-the desk attendant failed to ask about our stay........she must have known.........it was not good! Plenty of hotels on the cape-go elsewhere.

East Dennis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Our convention held May 2-4 was a very successful event due to the staff of The Resort. From the start of our planning with Cindy to the ending, the entire staff accommodated us along with other guests from two other groups. We wouldn’t have been nearly as successful without the outstanding skill and cooperation of Bill, the Director of Conference Planning. He did his excellent best to satisfy our requests. He never failed to follow through with anything we asked and our many phone calls were returned in minutes. We saw him pitch in when the staff was overly busy. He did all of this with a wonderful sense of humor which we greatly appreciated. . We would also like to say thank you to the Chef and his entire staff for the menus they provided which were delicious. We heard people saying, “This soup is the best and hottest I have ever had!” How many times have we all complained about soup that is lukewarm. This outstanding quality carried over to the other menus as well. We thank the wait staff for their attention to details and prompt service. We were grateful they could wait for our entertainment to be over on banquet night to clear the tables.

Our rooms were very comfortable, very clean and quiet. The only reason we give an overall 4 star rating is that some of our attendees found the rooms too far to where our convention was held. A 4 1/2 star rating would be more to the point. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Resort and Conference Center at Hyannis? Share your experiences!