“Amazing, secluded camping experience” 5 of 5 stars

Boston Historic Sightseeing Cruise
Ranked #4 of 11 things to do in Hull
Harwich, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
“Amazing, secluded camping experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a 2 night camping trip on Bumpkin Island; we had such a great time! We took the ferry from Hingham Shipyard ($14 round trip/person plus $1/day for parking) and arrived on the island early afternoon.

The two rangers, Max and Kimm, were on the dock to meet us. They gave us a map and offered to show us around the island. There were only 2 sites taken so we were allowed to choose among 8 others; we chose the last waterfront site with views of Hingham Bay.

After setting up camp we explored the island. There are some ruins and several trails running the length of the island; but we found walking the beach around the island to be the most interesting. We had a campfire that night on the beach and watched the sun set.

The next day we took the inter-island shuttle to George's Island to explore the ruins of Fort Warren. We chose to do a self-guided tour (as opposed to having a free guide) which I recommend if you like going at your own pace. My only advice is to bring a flashlight; there are many tunnels to explore but it's impossible to see without light. Other points of interest are the snack bar and the rocky beach (we found an abundance of sea glass).

The inter-island shuttle will also take you to Lovell's Island, Peddock's, and Grape. A well known director and some A list actors were out filming a movie on one of the islands but we weren't allowed out there. Just watch the shuttle times when you go out because the shuttles only stop at each island a few times per day.

I would absolutely recommend going out to the islands for camping or even just a day trip. It's a short ride from Boston and there is so much to do!

Austin, Texas
“Bumpkin Island Camping and Kayaking!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

I toured the islands on the ferry last summer and it was great. This Memorial Day, we rented sea kayaks instead and setting off from Hingham, we paddled over to Slate Island, ate lunch (Slate is not too user-friendly). After lunch, we paddled accross the channel, avoiding some bigger boats. The weather was cool, overcast, and cloudy, so the seas were a little rough for that part.

We arrived at Bumpkin, set up our tents, made a little campfire on the beach (fires only allowed at high tide level). There was NO ONE ELSE on the island but us! We walked all the way around it on the paths. The composting toilets were relatively clean, and contained tissues. We had a great time!

There were foxes on the island. I heard them barking and saw their shadows on the beach. Then, in the morning, I heard the baby foxes crying.

It was so secluded and beautiful. I want to go back. I hear this is very crowded with campers in the summer, so I'm glad we went on Memorial Day weekend before the rush.

The trip back was beautiful, the seas were flat, the sun was shining. Absolutely the best thing to do on a long weekend in Boston harbor!!!